locked
Publishing a Master Project RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    2007 SP2 Feb Cu. I have a master project with 11 sub projects and a about 100 lines of "Program" tasks. When I publish the Master, all subprojects show in Project Center views and in OLAP cubes, however the Master does not. I cannot see the name of the Master itself and therefore cannot report on the 100 or so program tasks. All I see is the subprojects. Is there a publishing option I'm missing?

    Other interesting notables: The first time I tried to publish the master, I noticed the status bar at the bottom of Project Pro restarted during the save process, and then never gave status on the published progress. I checked Project Center, and there were all the subs (they weren't there before). So, I know it published, but checked the queue after not seeing the master itself and saw 3 errors. First was the error for saving the Master at 4%, the same % I saw it restart in Pro. Second is a error for Publish Notification for the Master. Third was an error for the publish. All three errors were in a Cancelled status (not blocking). Now when I try to republish, I see the Successful jobs for publishing the subs, but no job for publishing the Master, and still no publish status in Pro. Since there is no option to retry or cancel the failed Master publish job in the queue and the job no longer shows up when I try to republish, I'm lost.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks

    Monday, July 19, 2010 4:46 PM

Answers

  • Hello,

    Actually speaking most of the cases master project doesn't hold any data. To isolate and resolve, create new one.

    Add the project one by one in the new master project and publish respectively, so you can identify the culprit.

     


    Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    • Marked as answer by Sriram E Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:31 PM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:56 PM
  • In our master schedule, we have a lot of program tasks that do not fit into one of the sub projects. To work around this, I have removed all the sub projects and then saved and published the master (well not really a master anymore). Once the master was publish, I reinserted the sub projects and resaved and republished. Now I have both master schedule and sub projects in PWA and OLAP cubes.

    Thanks for the help!

    • Marked as answer by eMicah Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:14 PM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:14 PM

All replies

  • I experienced similar issue when i inserted sub-projects in read-write mode on my master project.

    How did you insert the project in Master project?

                --Read / Write or Read only.

    What is the value of "Subproject Read Only"  column for the sub projects?

                --If it is NO, make it Yes for all the projects. Later Save and Publish the master project.

    Did you see any project with error in the master project?

    Last Option: create a new master project and Insert all the sub-projects as Read-only. Publish the project, observe the behaviour.


    Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:10 AM
  • So I checked that column and found one of my sub projects was set to NO. I changed and republish and no change occured. Still not seeing the master on PWA. It still does not give me status on the publish job at the bottom of Pro. Still do not see a job in the queue for publishing the master.

    I do see some errors in rolled up summary tasks in the master when sub projects are collapsed. As soon as the subs are shown (not collapsed), the errors go away.

    Really do not want to start over, but if it is truely the last option, I'll give it a go in test instance and report back.

    Thanks!

    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:42 PM
  • Hello,

    Actually speaking most of the cases master project doesn't hold any data. To isolate and resolve, create new one.

    Add the project one by one in the new master project and publish respectively, so you can identify the culprit.

     


    Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    • Marked as answer by Sriram E Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:31 PM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:56 PM
  • In our master schedule, we have a lot of program tasks that do not fit into one of the sub projects. To work around this, I have removed all the sub projects and then saved and published the master (well not really a master anymore). Once the master was publish, I reinserted the sub projects and resaved and republished. Now I have both master schedule and sub projects in PWA and OLAP cubes.

    Thanks for the help!

    • Marked as answer by eMicah Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:14 PM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:14 PM