Windows Live OneCare blocks access to my xbox 360. RRS feed

• Question

• As i said for some reason my trial version of onecare blocks my xbox 360. It used to work just fine but for no reason it stopped working. I configured it to allow Windows Media Center Extenders and all that but nothing happened. I turned off the firewall and it installed just fine and now it works great, with the firewall off. Is there anyway to fix this?
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 10:56 AM

Answers

• There should be two entries listed in the Ports and Protocols selection list for the xbox 360. Make sure that both are checked. On the connections tab, make sure that your network is identified as "Home or Work." If you have multiple active network connections shown, disable one of them or go back to the main firewall tab and uncheck the option to "automatically set the firewall to Public..." directly under the "on" selection.

Since it worked before, I assume you are getting the same glitch that I see once in a while where file and printer sharing simply refuses to work unless I turn the firewall off and back on again. It happens very infrequently, but suspect that it happens when a rule update is received for the firewall and it gets confused. You mention that it works with the firewall off. Did you try turning the firewall back on to see if it continued to work? Did you reboot the PC?

-steve

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 1:16 PM