Linksys Router and Onecare RRS feed

• Question

•  

Strange problem, Ever since I upgraded Onecare to V2, I get router logs that say unauthorized access attempts (lots of them).

Why would onecare be trying to log in my router?  Network Discovery?

My system is locked down pretty good and this didn't start until I installen the new version of onecare.  It only happens when I am on the machine....

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Sunday, December 2, 2007 2:22 AM

Answers

• Yes, OneCare checks to make sure that your router is secure by probing it.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 2:02 AM

All replies

• Yes, OneCare checks to make sure that your router is secure by probing it.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 2:02 AM
  • I am getting increased network activity and did some research and found numerous unauthorized login attempts to my router (it logs the machine trying to get in).

This didn't happen until I loaded Onecare v2, and only happens from the machines on my network that have Onecare loaded on it.

I callec Microsoft and they stated that this is a desired feature that is needed for the Onecare Circle function (to find other computers on the network).

I say, if it hits an IP address, and can't get in after a few attempts, it should stop.  Right now, it appears to be over 100 attempts every time it tries.

There are no settings to stop this from happening. Is there any work in progress to fix this issue?

Thanks,

John

Sunday, January 13, 2008 2:50 AM
  • Thanks Steve,

Is there any way to make it quit asking so many times?  My log fills up with over 100 requests in less than a minute from each machine with Onecare loaded on it.  It would seem to me only 2 or 3 tries would be needed to determine it is locked down.  Looking to decraes network activity and clear my router log of un-needed messages.

Thanks,

John

Sunday, January 13, 2008 2:53 AM
  • It should only be checking once per 24 hours, according to other posts I've read, so there's something else happening here. Please contact support - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:14 PM