none
Dynamic Filtering RRS feed

• Question

• I have read that dynamic filtering really isn't possible. But I have a few questions.

First is when is the new change coming out that may support dynamic filtering and is it a whole revision to 3.0 or an update?

Also it looks like to enable dynamic filtering is to allow parameters to be passed in for the procs so that we can have our Static filter but use a parm passed in to actually do the filtering.

I'd like to use the new framework but we have about 200 or so different users across about 30 tables or so and I can see maintaining those scopes would be a nightmare.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Matthew Coleman

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Marked as answer by Rache Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:13 PM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Looks a lot like the old Sync Framework as far as setting up your own Sync Adapters. I am not sure exactly what I will have to gain from switching to the new framework over the old besides the somewhat interesting throttle control with the batch sizing.

Thanks for the info and examples
    Matthew Coleman

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Looks a lot like the old Sync Framework as far as setting up your own Sync Adapters. I am not sure exactly what I will have to gain from switching to the new framework over the old besides the somewhat interesting throttle control with the batch sizing.

Thanks for the info and examples
    Matthew Coleman

Matthew:

For example...

1. You only need the subclassed/custom DbSyncProvider, which is not too much code at the server end.
    2. You can use SqlSyncProvider, SqlCeSyncProvider or whatever at the client side. These do their job out of the box.
    3. You get SqlSyncProviderScopeProvisioning with the new framework which simplifies it a whole bunch. In fact,
    4. You can use SqlSyncProviderScopeProvisioning to provision your server/central side which does 90%+ of the setup. You then just put in your custom TableName_selectingchanges SP.
    5. I'm sure I could think of more but it's late!

HTH

Steve
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:27 AM
  • you get peer-to-peer, restore options, metadata cleanup, etc...

and it's a V2 :)

well said steve, you are loving sync framework already! :)
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:38 AM