Hard drive configuration for performance RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am setting up WHS as a primary storage for files/photos/videos/music/etc, with duplication turned on on all these folders. I will be accessing this over a 1G LAN connection from the main PC and from a XBOX 360.

In terms of performance, what disk configuration will be the best option? I was thinking of going with 3 1TB WD Green disks, but they have a 16 MB cache with 5400-7200 RPM. Will I get better performance by moving to 32MB/7200 RPM?

Thanks!

Monday, January 7, 2008 5:49 PM

All replies

• It's unlikely that you will see the full performance of either set of drives, due to bottlenecks elsewhere in the path from your server to the clients that will be consuming data. And either drive will be more than capable of supplying multiple media streams anyway. So I would consider price before performance.
    Monday, January 7, 2008 7:09 PM
  • Thanks! Would you mind summarizing what the bottlenecks might be?

Monday, January 7, 2008 11:55 PM
  • Everything else about your server and network is a potential bottleneck. Your disk controllers might not really support the full performance of your drives (more common than you probably want to believe). You might have a huge pile of drives connected to PCI cards (which share a single bus). You might have a switch in your network that's just not up to the task. There are really too many possibilities to list them all.

More likely, though, inherent limitations in Windows Home Server will limit you to less than the full performance of your very expensive drives. And the performance benefit of a larger cache is pretty minimal. If you look around the forums, though, you will see many people have reported that they don't have any problem streaming to multiple clients simultaneously, with some receiving music and some getting HD video.

If it's important to you to have the fastest possible hardware, in hopes that you will see some fraction of the additional performance they promise, then by all means spend the extra money. They aren't really that much more expensive. Smile
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:41 AM