Security Updates vs Critical updates RRS feed

• Question

• According to the Microsoft Website, users will still be able to get security updates even if they do not pass WGA. 

Is it only considered a Security update if it specifically says so?  Does Service Pack 3 for Office 2003 contain security updates or only bug fixes?

Why does the WGA tool want to install multiple times on occasion? Why is it necessary to keep installing it - shouldn't it only check your machine once?

A few days ago, I manually installed a WGA tool that was waiting for install with Automatic Updates(set to download and notify).  A co-worker noticed that some critical updates were not getting installed automatically until he went to the Microsoft update site and installed the WGA tool.

After installing the update waiting in my system tray, I went to the MS update site and was prompted to install the WGA tool again.  After installing the tool, SP3 for Office became available as a critical update.  FYI - I have not installed Office 2003 on this machine, it is running Office 2007, so I wonder what components of it are considered Office 2003...

Doesn't requiring a manual install of WGA pretty much defeat the purpose of automatic updates? Not very bright IMHO.

How do I fix this problem short of using WSUS?  While this may be great in a corporate environment if people have decided to use WSUS, I also have friends and family that can't be counted on to keep their machines updated. I don't have time to go visit them all and manually run updates. Automatic updates was supposed to take care of this, but it is not working the way it should.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:14 PM

Answers

• Jeff,

Please download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Your Questions

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=514823f2-feda-4f7b-95a2-7d9c7c39f17b

Q: Do security updates require validation?

A:

Security updates are not part of WGA or OGA. You can install security updates using the Windows Automatic Updates feature or download them from the Download Center.

A:

Automatic Updates helps you keep your Windows installation current with the latest security updates. Using Automatic Updates does not require validation. Visit Protect Your PC to learn more.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 11:31 PM

All replies

• Jeff,

Please download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Your Questions

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=514823f2-feda-4f7b-95a2-7d9c7c39f17b

Q: Do security updates require validation?

A:

Security updates are not part of WGA or OGA. You can install security updates using the Windows Automatic Updates feature or download them from the Download Center.

A:

Automatic Updates helps you keep your Windows installation current with the latest security updates. Using Automatic Updates does not require validation. Visit Protect Your PC to learn more.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 11:31 PM
  • Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center? PRO - volume license
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering? NO
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering? NO
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key. Not posted

I thought I did... Smile

My issue is that some critical updates are not available until you install WGA. This totally defeats the purpose of automatic updates. The FAQ you linked does not have an answer to my problem.  In that FAQ it says that security updates are not part of WGA.  Office 2003 SP3 was NOT available for download until WGA was installed and my machine validated.  If you look at the list of updates that are in Office 2003 SP3, there are several security updates. So, from my perspective, WGA is broken and not functioning the way it is supposed to be. This is not an isolated issue - we took a look at a few other machines and tehy all have the same behavior as far as needing validation beofre SP3 is available

Also not answered in the FAQ is why WGA keeps popping up from time to time? Why can't it validate a machine ONCE and flag it as validated with a periodic check to make sure no major hardware changes would indicate a differnt machine?

I stripped out data from the diags that I don't feel should be posted in a public forum...

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key:
    Windows Product Key Hash:
    Windows Product ID:
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID:
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002_7E90FEE8-169-80004005_B4D0AA8B-514-80004005_77F760FE-152-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Thursday, December 6, 2007 12:53 PM
  • Jeff,

Please provide me with the whole diagnostic results so I may analyze exactly what your experiencing. Without a full diagnostic results I won't be able to help you. Also I noticed your using a volume licensing. Are you working for a large business that has purchased a Volume Licensing agreemetn with Microsoft? Also you can check with your systems administrator and have them logon to the eOpen site https://eopen.microsoft.com/EN/default.asp and have them validate there are no problems with your Volume Licensing Key. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Saturday, December 8, 2007 4:01 AM
  • Stephen,

I posted the parts of the diagnostics I was comfortable placing on a public forum.  If you wish to see more information, then you will need to provide me with an email address that I can send it to. The diags show that my version is genuine. What else are you looking for?

I work for an Educational Institution that has a Volume License Agreement with Microsoft and there is nothing wrong with our key. I have full access to the web site for our licenses and have never see any issues with our keys not being valid.

I'm not sure what the diagnostics would have to do with the questions I posed.  Is SP3 for Office 2003 considered a security update?  If it is, then MS needs to fix the problem with it not showing up until after the WGA install.  If not, then the security updates that are included in it should be made available stand alone through Automatic Updates. Are they?

FYI - I do some work for other companies on the side and I experienced the same issue with Office 2003 SP3 not showing up on an OEM installed valid copy of XPSP2 until after the WGA was updated manually.

I guess what I really want to know is if MS is aware of this problem and will be fixing it, or do I need to start looking into a more reliable system for getting critical updates applied to machines?

Thanks for your time,

Jeff
    Monday, December 10, 2007 9:06 PM
  • Jeff,

Could you please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support using the following link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029.  Please include your product key so we may analyze specifics surrounding the problems you are encountering. Also will you include a good contact phone number and email address?  Also please run the diagnostic test again for inclusion with the support incident. This will enable us to review current information after the changes you made. Once you have done that, please reply back to this post and provide the SR # generated by the service request.  Please let us know if you would be willing to do this!!

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, December 10, 2007 11:06 PM