MsMpEng.exe consuming CPU resources RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen multiple questions on this and I haven't seen an answer.

We have 3 PC's on Live OneCare but on one the MsMpEng eats up CPU resources like crazy. Especially when looking at photos or videos.

Are there any fixes yet?

thanks

neptunium

Monday, September 8, 2008 12:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• neptunium,

There seems to be some information regarding this from this post:

http://forums.microsoft.com/windowsonecare/showpost.aspx?postid=2704162&siteid=2&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1

Do you have any RSS feeds? Try to delete that feed and see what happens.

If you're still having issues, please contact OneCare support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Lori MS

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 9:52 PM
  • When MSMPENG uses excessive CPU cycles, this is typically an indication that there is a conflict with another process or program on the PC.

-steve

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:38 PM
  • I have read a lot of post on this same subject, but all of them advise the same action route, contact OneCare support.  It seems a little frustrating.  Why can't you tell those of us having this problem how to find the conflicting program and resolve the conflict?  What exactly did we pay for?
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 9:46 PM
  • There are multiple reasons for the resource issue and it is support who is best able to determine what you may have as the cause. It is usually conflicting security software that was left on the PC when OneCare was installed or which was not completely removed. Anything that fights with the scan engine in OneCare can cause the elevated CPU usage. As to what you paid for, as a paying subscriber, you are entitled to free support via email, chat or phone. Trial users have access to email support.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Well, with me this issue started completly out of the blue this evening... I am actually on my laptop, which is quite a Vanilla SONY VAIO. I use it for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Microsoft Office 2007 and Windows Live Essentials.

Pretty much everything in this laptop is Microsoftbased, ecept for little applications such as Winrar and Adobe Reader.

So I see no connection with a possible process or 3rd party application overloading the MS Security Essentials Process.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:26 AM
  • Well, with me this issue started completly out of the blue this evening... I am actually on my laptop, which is quite a Vanilla SONY VAIO. I use it for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Microsoft Office 2007 and Windows Live Essentials.

Pretty much everything in this laptop is Microsoftbased, ecept for little applications such as Winrar and Adobe Reader.

So I see no connection with a possible process or 3rd party application overloading the MS Security Essentials Process.

Wrong forum, pmdci.
    Go here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/mse

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:23 PM
  • I don't see how this is a wrong forum. MsMpEng.exe consuming CPU resources is related to Microsoft Security Essentials. If I kill the process, Microsoft Security Essentials is Disabled.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:33 PM
  • I don't see how this is a wrong forum. MsMpEng.exe consuming CPU resources is related to Microsoft Security Essentials. If I kill the process, Microsoft Security Essentials is Disabled.

This forum is for Windows Live OneCare, pmdci.
    MSMPENG.EXE is the antimalware engine used by OneCare, Defender, ForeFront and Microsoft Security Essentials. In my last reply I provided a link to the forums for Microsoft Security Essentials.
    That said, the most common reason, as you've already seen, is a conflict with other security software. However, it can also be due to a conflict with a driver or other application that sends the engine into overdrive - that would be a problem with MSMPENG or the definitions in some cases, or the other program/service/driver, if that is misbehaving.
    If the problem persists, please go ahead and post to the MSE forum or open a support case to have it investigated.

To open an email support case for Microsoft Security Essentials, start here:
    https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:21 PM
  • sh*t stephen.. don't be hard on pmdci. people have problems man.. they need answers. i have the same problem as he does. and no-one knows the f'ing answer. peace
    Friday, May 7, 2010 7:57 PM
  • sh*t stephen.. don't be hard on pmdci. people have problems man.. they need answers. i have the same problem as he does. and no-one knows the f'ing answer. peace

I don't see that I was being "hard." This is indeed a common problem and I outlined the common cause. If you are having the issue and you cannot identify a conflicting security application, then contacting support for the application you are using - OneCare or MSE - is the appropriate direction.

-steve

Monday, May 10, 2010 11:54 AM