unable to install a add-in RRS feed

• Question

• WHS add-in install fails
    I previously installed 'disk management for WHS' by clicking on the *.msi.
    I discovered my error and went to add / remove programs to uninstall, which was succesfull.
    now when I attempt to install the app as an add-in under available add-ins, it fails w/ this error msg;
    "a previous version of disk management for WHS is installed. Please uninstall the previous version using the WHS console."
    then this follow up error msg = "installation failed, the selected add-in failed to install. The error code was 1603. Please contact the add-in author for assistance."

the app is no longer listed in add / remove programs to remove.
    please help.    
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:35 PM

Answers

• I used 'regedit' to find and then remove all instances of disk management for WHS .  saved my work then tried to reinstall correctly, ie. the add-ins window.  Got the same message, as above.  Repeated the steps above, w/ same result.

So to heck w/ it I went to sleep, tried to reinstall next day, same error.  2 days later, disk management for WHS is installed and works great.

Ain't microsoft software miraculous?  Essentially, the problem solved itself.

Thanks for the advice Ken.  Whenever, I post here, I hope you will respond, always good advice.  Jim

• Marked as answer by dueker1 Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:52 AM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:52 AM

All replies

• The only supported way to install/uninstall an add-in is via the Windows Home Server console. When removed via Add/Remove Programs, it leaves traces behind which, as you've seen, prevent installing a new version of the add-in.

The supported way of correcting this is, I'm afraid, to go through the server recovery process. Alternatively, you can try manually removing the traces which will have been left behind. From memory, they're registry keys, and the location of the keys is:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\RegisteredAdditions

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 22, 2010 3:04 AM
  • I used 'regedit' to find and then remove all instances of disk management for WHS .  saved my work then tried to reinstall correctly, ie. the add-ins window.  Got the same message, as above.  Repeated the steps above, w/ same result.

So to heck w/ it I went to sleep, tried to reinstall next day, same error.  2 days later, disk management for WHS is installed and works great.

Ain't microsoft software miraculous?  Essentially, the problem solved itself.

Thanks for the advice Ken.  Whenever, I post here, I hope you will respond, always good advice.  Jim

• Marked as answer by dueker1 Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:52 AM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:52 AM