Homeserver forgot Administrator Password RRS feed

• Question

• I dont know why, but the administrator password stopped working on remote desktop as well as on local desktop. All oter user accounts seem to work fine. We found this problem one morning wihtout any error display.
    How can I restore the adminstrator password?

We cannot think of any reason why this happened, because all related computers are powered with  monitored UPS unitss and no power failure was reported. There might have been some automatic windows updates that night. However it cannot be reconstructed exactly when the error was first experienced.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 12:35 PM

Answers

• If your password hint doesn't give you the information you need, there's really nothing short of a server reinstallation that will allow you to recover from this. You can view your password hint by clicking Options before you try to log into the console, and selecting Password hint from the menu that pops up.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 5, 2010 1:06 PM

All replies

• If your password hint doesn't give you the information you need, there's really nothing short of a server reinstallation that will allow you to recover from this. You can view your password hint by clicking Options before you try to log into the console, and selecting Password hint from the menu that pops up.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 5, 2010 1:06 PM
  • Thanks. I guess that''s all what is left. The hint does help, but the password is forgotten by the server. I did already reinstall.

Ted2010

P.S. I had another bad think happen yesterday, not related to HomeSever:-) Alfter the latest security update from Microsoft on one of my Vista Business machines, the user name was lost and a new user name, which happened to be the password of that account was assigned by the update proceedure. Since the original password did still work here, it was veyr easy to recover. This did not happen on any other machine, but one.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:33 PM