Resize WHS main drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have an interesting WHS configuration.  It works and has been for 6 months. 
    I am running WHS on my Vista Premium machine using VMWARE Server 2.0.  I am thinking about moving to real hardware soon, but it is workin so well right now that I am hesitant to make that type of change.

So here is the problem
    I started out with a 100Gb drive and installed WHS.  It created the normal 20Gb system partition and left the rest for data.
    I have subsequently added one 1.3TB drive for additional data and another 1.3TB drive for backup.  yes both drives are virtual.

Well now I have filled up the 80gb drive on the main drive.
    I have tools to expand my virtual drives so I expanded C from 20 to 100 and D from 80 to 200GB.  This caused all sorts of problems and I had to revert back to my backup.

I have been reading that C needs to stay at 20.  My question is - can I just make D larger and will everything work or are there other recommended steps to solve my space issue?

I know I have a strange config, but if you just think of it as a physical machine then it should all be the same.

Appreciate any suggestions and ideas.

Thanks

TRG66
    Tom Gibson
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:24 PM

All replies

• Running Windows Home Server in a virtual machine is unsupported. In this case that mostly means that Microsoft isn't interested in bug reports or feature requests related to the environment. For instance, I do a great deal of Windows Home Server testing using virtual machines.

Resizing the partitions on the system drive is also unsupported and can cause serious Windows Home Server issues, as you've learned.

The standard Windows Home Server procedure for replacing your system drive with a new one is to turn on duplication for all shares, wait for Drive Extender to finish duplicating data (could be hours if there was a lot in unduplicated shares), and then replace the system drive with a larger one and perform a server reinstallation. You'll find a little more information about the process and the caveats here.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:55 PM
  • Though it is unsupported on real metal can you clone the drive to another large unit and then extend the D: partition using Gparted for example and then place it back in the System?
    --
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:39 PM
  • You can try it and see, but often people have had problems after cloning onto a larger drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:31 PM