upgraded Student&Home07 to S&H2010, now not "Genuine"!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I bought Student and Home 2007 from Amazon (disk version). I received email a few days ago saying that I needed to download Student and Home 2010 very soon. I am on a break from chemotherapy, so I did it earlier this evening. The download was from Digital River and was "purchased" ***from microsoft***, as far as I can tell.  Now I am getting messages that the software is not "Genuine". Apparently the Office 2007 programs were removed, or perhaps hidden.  (Chemo is not vision-friendly!), so I'm not sure.

When the 2010 install started, it asked for the new product key, which was on the receipt from Digital River. It was extremely unfriendly that I could not cut-and-paste the numbers into the product key box - not low vision friendly).

Diagnostic info below.

I'm sure this seems silly to all, but chemo really flattens me. It took most of the energy I had today to just do this upgrade. I do not understand why Microsoft punishes people who purchase their products. I don't know if I have working Office programs or not.

The machine is XP Pro SP3, yes, it passes validation.

I wish I had the energy to deal with this, but unless there is a simple fix, I'm going to switch to OpenOffice. Office 2003 to 2007 change was hard enough.

Thanks for any help all y'all can provide, and have a great weekend.

dan

Here's the output from "Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool 1.9.27.1, OGA info in bold.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-BH6FJ-XHQQJ-Q92TT
    Windows Product Key Hash: GmJK/xBWExNzP35IP08wsr0I4rw=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2240033-14550
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {4B5BA5F3-7C95-4E8C-A6FF-FA00EA4A18BD}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 2.0.48.0
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{4B5BA5F3-7C95-4E8C-A6FF-FA00EA4A18BD}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-Q92TT</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2240033-14550</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1801674531-1326574676-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1201   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20100224000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>EE68399701849A7E</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 13350:ASUSTeK Computer Inc|1889D:GENUINE C&C INC
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Sunday, July 25, 2010 4:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• "lensman19067" wrote in message news:e297229a-e482-4a2e-9689-af2b99ea6b72...

I bought Student and Home 2007 from Amazon (disk version). I received email a few days ago saying that I needed to download Student and Home 2010 very soon. I am on a break from chemotherapy, so I did it earlier this evening. The download was from Digital River and was "purchased" ***from microsoft***, as far as I can tell.  Now I am getting messages that the software is not "Genuine". Apparently the Office 2007 programs were removed, or perhaps hidden.  (Chemo is not vision-friendly!), so I'm not sure.

When the 2010 install started, it asked for the new product key, which was on the receipt from Digital River. It was extremely unfriendly that I could not cut-and-paste the numbers into the product key box - not low vision friendly).

Diagnostic info below.

I'm sure this seems silly to all, but chemo really flattens me. It took most of the energy I had today to just do this upgrade. I do not understand why Microsoft punishes people who purchase their products. I don't know if I have working Office programs or not.

The machine is XP Pro SP3, yes, it passes validation.

I wish I had the energy to deal with this, but unless there is a simple fix, I'm going to switch to OpenOffice. Office 2003 to 2007 change was hard enough.

Thanks for any help all y'all can provide, and have a great weekend.

dan

Here's the output from "Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool 1.9.27.1, OGA info in bold.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-BH6FJ-XHQQJ-Q92TT
    Windows Product Key Hash: GmJK/xBWExNzP35IP08wsr0I4rw=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2240033-14550
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro

As Far as I can tell, there's noting wrong with your installation - although the Office Diagnostics is reporting something, Office 2010 does not use the 'normal' OGA methods for testing the 'genuine-ness' of an installation.

It may be that there's some form of corruption in the Licensing system that the MGADiag report doesn't show - or doesn't know about.

Darin Smith, the Forum Owner, will be back at work on Monday (Seattle/Redmond time) and will hopefully be able to give some insight into the problem. Until then, I doubt that there's anything anyone can do to help, since Office 2010 is still too new for us to have much experience with problems it may face.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 10:16 AM
  • Noel,

Thanks very much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

One of my kids reminded me that we can't switch to OpenOffice since his school requires Microsoft Word and Excel. I thought OpenOffice could read and write the .docx and .xlsx formats, but maybe not. I seriously do not have the energy to have "extended fun time" with MS to get legally purchased software blessed or annointed or whatever it is OGA wants.

Thanks again for your note!

dan

Sunday, July 25, 2010 1:57 PM
  • Hello lensman19067,

The mgadiag utility has not yet been modified to work with Office 2010.

Please retry the steps you executed that produced the error, and look for some sort of error code on the screen.  Here's an MS KB that has examples of what we are looking for:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982750

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Noel,

Thanks very much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

One of my kids reminded me that we can't switch to OpenOffice since his school requires Microsoft Word and Excel. I thought OpenOffice could read and write the .docx and .xlsx formats, but maybe not. I seriously do not have the energy to have "extended fun time" with MS to get legally purchased software blessed or annointed or whatever it is OGA wants.

Thanks again for your note!

dan

Until you have the time uninstall Office 2010 and then reinstall your Office 2007 and activate.  You should not have any problem doing this from the original installation media.

Should the uninstall not work then use the fixit tool from http://support.micr osoft.com/kb/290301/en-us

Sunday, July 25, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Hello Dan@IT and LVTravel,

Thank you for your replies. That's a good idea to uninstall S&H Office2010 & re-install S&H Office2007. I will also check the error message & post back. I can't check it right now, there's a Runescape quest (or something like that) between the twins (and the rest of the planet?). I get the computer back at 9 PM, thanks to parental control software in the router.

Again, thank you to everyone.

dan

Sunday, July 25, 2010 10:24 PM
  • Hi Dan,

It sounds like Office may not have been activated but as Dan explained, the Diagnostic Report has not been updated for Office 2010 (unfortunatly this is out of my hands) so I can't be sure of the reason for the issue. I recommend contacting Assisted Support (One-on-One support) at the below URL. They will be able to gather the needed information quicker (and hopefully fix the issue quicker) then we could over the forum.

North America: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_genadv_master?ws=support&ws=support#tab4

Outside North America:
    http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support#tab0

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Darin MS
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:45 PM