none
How is hpc "select head node" list created

Question

• I can't work out where the drop down list is managed, we have a number of old HPC systems that have been decommissioned, removed from AD etc but when a new user clicks the drop down box in Job Manager for Select Head Node it still lists all the old cluster headnodes and confuses them as the naming convention is so similar to the old cluster..

Windows Server 2012r2 with HPC 2012r2

I've given the new servers alias's to get around this but it would be nice to clean it up if possible...

• Edited by cramid Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:41 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:40 PM

All replies

• During HPC Set up on headnode, we will set special property on the AD object of the headnode machine so that it can be queried by client. You may need IT admin help to remove the old AD object that associated with the original Headnode Machine. Usually if you un-install the HPC Pack from the headnode, the AD object will be cleaned up as well.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 3:16 AM
  • I'll see if I can get the demo unit back online and uninstall it, however there is no listing for that server in AD which is odd!

EDIT

The machine that was "TESTMACHINE" is no longer, it was a test VM that no longer exists but it is still listed on the drop down box for select headnode, even for new workstations that didn't exist at the time it was around still pick it up.  

It must be in AD somewhere or the other cluster headnodes are aware of it's existence? 

• Edited by cramid Thursday, June 23, 2016 2:56 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 2:43 PM
  • As Qiufang said, HPC head node will create a serviceConnectionPoint object in AD with serviceClassName as "MicrosoftComputeCluster" and ServiceDnsName as the DNS name of the head node. Normally, during uninstallation, the object will be removed from the AD. So if you didn't uninstall the HPC Pack head node before decommision, the object will be kept. When installing the compute/workstation node, the HPC setup program will query the service connection points and list them in the drop down box. That's why your decommisioned head nodes are still shown. You can ask your Domain Admin to remove these old ServiceConnectionPoints.

Thursday, July 7, 2016 2:39 AM
  • We are struggling where to find the name to remove in AD. Could you be a little more specific as to how to remove these objects from adsi?

Owen

Thursday, September 22, 2016 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

Below is an example of PowerShell script to remove the service connection point for a specified AD computer, you shall run it as domain admin:

$computerDistinguishedName = "CN=testcomputer,CN=Computers,DC=contoso,DC=com"
    $computerObject = New-Object DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry "LDAP://$computerDistinguishedName"
    $myEntries = $computerObject.Children
    $myServiceConnectionPoint = $myEntries.Add("cn=MicrosoftComputeCluster", "serviceConnectionPoint");
    $myServiceConnectionPoint.DeleteTree()

• Edited by Sunbin Zhu Friday, September 23, 2016 6:53 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2016 6:52 AM