build 1776 will not install RRS feed

• General discussion

• For those that already have access to build 1776:

When I try to install build 1776 I get the message update already installed.

I will proceed with uninstalling previous build (1771) and post my findings later today

EDIT: uninstall is required to install build 1776

Thursday, June 26, 2008 8:41 AM

All replies

• How did you get access to build 1776.  I  am having issues with my Windows Connect process taking up the CPU.  I have heard that build 1776 may fix this.  Thanks!!
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:55 PM
  • It has currently only been made available for people that filed a valid bug report on home server connect feedback site.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:12 PM
  • Just installed...

Anything I should notice and or test in this updated build?

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:43 PM
  • I ran into this same problem, but I couldn't figure out how to uninstall 1771. At the risk of sounding totally dense, how does one uninstall 1771? I didn't see it anywhere in the Add/Remove Programs list, with or without updates showing. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Thursday, June 26, 2008 4:31 PM
  • You need to check the show updates box first.

Andrew

Thursday, June 26, 2008 4:58 PM
  • I'm having the same issue.  When you check "Show Updates" you get a long list of updated things, many with KB numbers, but nothing explicitly calls out PP1 or version 1771.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 8:32 PM
  •  gcsutton wrote:
    I'm having the same issue.  When you check "Show Updates" you get a long list of updated things, many with KB numbers, but nothing explicitly calls out PP1 or version 1771.

look for the line that starts PRERELEASE......

Andrew

Thursday, June 26, 2008 8:36 PM
  • I originally installed build 1771 but experienced the infamous search engine problem along with all the hash errors.  I monitor the feedback lists and saw that others shared my experience as well but when they reported the bug...the feedback was that MS was aware of the problem...BUT...offered no work-around.  Inasmuch as it looked like I was being forced to grin and bear it...I decided I didn't want to live with the issue so I uninstalled the release and decided to wait for a fix.

Apparently, build 1776 is the fix. How do I get access to the fix since I've uninstalled build 1771 now?

Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:07 PM
  •  

1776 installed ok, remote desktop into WHS it’s in add and remove it’s called (going of memory) “Power Pack” remove it reboot WHS then install 1776.   

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:02 AM
  •  Michael J Weldon wrote:
    Apparently, build 1776 is the fix. How do I get access to the fix since I've uninstalled build 1771 now?
    Have you submitted any bug reports? Build 1776 was released to select testers, including a subset of those who submitted bug reports.
    Friday, June 27, 2008 1:52 AM
  • Seriously Ken,

Did you read my initial post?

Cooperation is two-sided.

A number of individuals had already reported the problem to feedback before me (I know, I checked) and all had received the same answer as I stated in my post eg. MS is aware of the problem.

Since there was nothing more than that for an answer

and since I was running the build on a production machine

and since I found it more than annoying ....

I uninstalled it and waited for more information about it.

Today was the 1st information I saw about any other build that addressed the issue. 

I'd be happy to test build 1776 to ascertain if it will solve the problem on my machine as it evidently has on others.

Friday, June 27, 2008 3:00 AM
    Did you read my initial post?
    Yes, I did read your initial post; I was merely confirming the impression you made. I take it that the answer to my question is "No," then. Microsoft has stated repeatedly and clearly: If you experience an issue with Windows Home Server Power Pack 1, submit a bug report on Connect with logs from your server and affected client(s), if any. They will take care of triage and determining if the bug is a duplicate of some other bug in the system. This process will normally only take 10-15 minutes of your time, plus some extra time if you're requested to provide some additional information (most bugs don't seem to require much additional info).

As for build 1776: Microsoft has made an interim build available to some users who are experiencing, as demonstrated by their bug reports, issues that may be corrected in the newer build. If you haven't submitted any bug reports, I doubt that you will have access to the interim build. As a point of reference, I have a second Live ID that has never downloaded anything from Connect, and has never reported a bug. That ID sees only the 1771.3 build.

As you say, beta programs are a two way street. If you aren't willing to participate fully in the program (which means installing and using the software, and submitting bugs that you find for resolution), then I'd say you shouldn't expect that Microsoft is going to deliver many new builds to you. Remember, the point of a beta test period is to shake out as many remaining bugs as possible. That includes a recognition that there are bugs to shake out.

Friday, June 27, 2008 3:41 AM
  • Ken,

I did report it but wasn't willing to have my hard drives thrashing around day and night waiting for a decent answer.  I knew the procedures then and I know them now.  Take a deep breath and relax a little more.  You are taking your golden epulats way too seriously!

Again, I have installed the new windows search 4.0 for Windows Home Server and I'd like to test build 1776 now.  If MS would make it available, I'd appreciate it.

Friday, June 27, 2008 4:12 AM
  • For those who might be following this thread in order to find out if build 1776 solved my problems.  The answer is a resounding YES!  All of my former issues are history and everything is perking right along now thanks to the Microsoft Windows Home Server Team and, of course, Ken, and all of you here.

Now, back to pushing and prodding my installation a little more just to see what it will do.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:29 AM
    Now, back to pushing and prodding my installation a little more just to see what it will do.
    Glad it's working out for you.

Please do push the limits, and don't forget to file more bug reports. Smile
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:42 AM

For those who might be following this thread in order to find out if build 1776 solved my problems.  The answer is a resounding YES!  All of my former issues are history and everything is perking right along now thanks to the Microsoft Windows Home Server Team and, of course, Ken, and all of you here.

How did you end up with it?  

I had to turn my home server off... thought it was going to catch fire... it was running hot. 

Seems 1776 would be made available to everyone.  Heck, if one person has submitted the issue and it is an known issue, what is the problem. 

Monday, June 30, 2008 11:45 AM
  •  theog wrote:
     Michael J Weldon wrote:

For those who might be following this thread in order to find out if build 1776 solved my problems.  The answer is a resounding YES!  All of my former issues are history and everything is perking right along now thanks to the Microsoft Windows Home Server Team and, of course, Ken, and all of you here.

How did you end up with it?  

I had to turn my home server off... thought it was going to catch fire... it was running hot. 

Seems 1776 would be made available to everyone.  Heck, if one person has submitted the issue and it is an known issue, what is the problem. 

=======================================================================================

theog:

I posted some comments about my original 1st week 1771 build bug report on Feedback and requested assistance. A representative of the Windows Home Server Team saw the comments and responded back to me stating: 

"I checked and indeed you have submitted a feedback item previously. I added you to the security group that has access to 1776 and so you should now see it in your downloads section on connect."

Upon checking the download area, I didn't see the build there and once more I contacted the WHS Team member and mentioned it to him.  He responded right back and said:

"I just double checked and you had accidentally been added to the wrong group on connect.  You should now have access to 1776 and please feel free to reply directly to me if you have any trouble getting it."

After reading his response, I looked again in Downloads and there it was in all its glory....problem solved!

With reference to your question on generally making newer builds available to anyone/everyone whom might be experiencing similar problems, one of the MVPs, Ken Warren, has reiterated the stated Microsoft WHS Team policy regarding this earlier in this thread.  Also, the only thing I know for sure is that there's always the Suggestions portion of the forum where you could make a recommendation regarding general build posts as you've suggested.  I'm not going to speak for the WHS Team on this because it would just be conjecture on my part.

Finally, I am absolutely positive that the WHS team wants all of us to be happy campers with this product and will go out of their way to make it so!

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 5:39 AM

Finally, I am absolutely positive that the WHS team wants all of us to be happy campers with this product and will go out of their way to make it so!

One of the mods seen my post and emailed me... my apologies for not updating the thread. 

I have the new build....

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 12:38 AM
  •  theog wrote:
     Michael J Weldon wrote:

One of the mods seen my post and emailed me... my apologies for not updating the thread. 

I have the new build....

GREAT!

This product and the people behind it are terrrrrrrific!

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:50 AM