WHS Connector Software Stopped Working RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I searched the forums and couldn’t find anyone experiencing a similar problem.

I’ve been running WHS with no problems for almost a year. I recently replaced my switch and router at the same (probably my first mistake) and the WHS system tray icons on all my clients turned gray. I’ve rebooted all the machines and that didn’t help.

I can reach the server through my browser (by name and by IP address), I can reach the shared folders through Windows Explorer, I can ping the server by name and by IP address, and I can access the server with Remote Desktop. The only thing that doesn’t work is the Connector software (although I can reach Shared Folders and the WHS console by right-clicking on the gray WHS icon).

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Connector software on one client, and the process proceeds through the WHS password and “joining Windows Home Server” stages, but when it reaches the “configuring computer backup” stage, it ends with an error message telling me to make sure the server is powered on. This machine happens to be running the 64-bit version of Windows, and I’m installing the Connector software from my browser (http://servername/5500/)

I put my old router back in place, hoping that would restore everything, and that didn’t work either. I also tried bypassing the new switch by plugging both the server and one of the clients directly into the router, but that didn’t help. Does anyone else have any troubleshooting tips I can try? Many thanks.

Mike

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:25 PM

Answers

• Okay, final update. I'm blaming the problem on the switch and will return it. I tried plugging the server into a different port in the switch and two clients are able to connect to the server (using Windows Home Server Connector), but a third is not. On some ports, only one of the three clients is able to connect. I'd still like to hear ideas as to what exactly the problem with the switch might be.

It's strange because the switch seems to work other than that and I can access the server through every means other than WHS Connector.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:56 AM

All replies

• Update: It appears the problem is with the new switch. Once I took that out of the loop and connected both the server and the client directly to my router, my connect problems disappeared. Does anyone know of a fix or should I just return the switch. It's an SMC Networks EZ Switch SMCGS24 gigabit with jumbo-frame support.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:24 PM
  • Okay, final update. I'm blaming the problem on the switch and will return it. I tried plugging the server into a different port in the switch and two clients are able to connect to the server (using Windows Home Server Connector), but a third is not. On some ports, only one of the three clients is able to connect. I'd still like to hear ideas as to what exactly the problem with the switch might be.

It's strange because the switch seems to work other than that and I can access the server through every means other than WHS Connector.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:56 AM