Fatal errors leading to login issues? RRS feed

• Question

• This was a bizarre day for WHS.  Had it running for 2 years now with no issues and love it.  However, today, for some reason, my connector software kept telling me I was using the wrong password - which could not have been right because I keep it saved on the login screen.  Eventually I re-installed connector, and I used the SAME password, and it connected to the server.  However, when I tried again to get to the console, I got the error about having the wrong password.  This went on for a while.  Eventually, I hard rebooted from the server, and all of the sudden access worked again.  I immediately checked the logs to find that the following error message appeared repeatedly starting at about 4 p.m. this afternoon in the system log (not HomeServer log): "An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably.
    The Registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the system's image of the Registry."

The only other message that occurred in the log as an error was this one: A fatal error occurred when attempting to access the SSL server credential private key.
    The error code returned from the cryptographic module is 0x6.

Any ideas what went wrong?  I am hoping things aren't corrupt.  Happy to provide more info if needed (it's OEM installed WHS with all of the non-beta Service Packs installed).  It works fine now, but I want to be sure I don't have some HUGE breakdown coming up :-).

Thanks in advance!
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:58 PM

Answers

• This was a bizarre day for WHS.  Had it running for 2 years now with no issues and love it.  However, today, for some reason, my connector software kept telling me I was using the wrong password - which could not have been right because I keep it saved on the login screen.  Eventually I re-installed connector, and I used the SAME password, and it connected to the server.  However, when I tried again to get to the console, I got the error about having the wrong password.  This went on for a while.  Eventually, I hard rebooted from the server, and all of the sudden access worked again.  I immediately checked the logs to find that the following error message appeared repeatedly starting at about 4 p.m. this afternoon in the system log (not HomeServer log): "An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably.
    The Registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the system's image of the Registry."

The only other message that occurred in the log as an error was this one: A fatal error occurred when attempting to access the SSL server credential private key.

Any ideas what went wrong?  I am hoping things aren't corrupt.  Happy to provide more info if needed (it's OEM installed WHS with all of the non-beta Service Packs installed).  It works fine now, but I want to be sure I don't have some HUGE breakdown coming up :-).

Thanks in advance!

Typically when it's been working great and all of a sudden something goes wrong (and you didn't add/change/delete anything), it's usually a sign of a potential hardware issue.  I would start with running chkdsk /r on your primary drive (specifically the C partition).
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 12:20 AM

All replies

Thanks in advance!

Typically when it's been working great and all of a sudden something goes wrong (and you didn't add/change/delete anything), it's usually a sign of a potential hardware issue.  I would start with running chkdsk /r on your primary drive (specifically the C partition).
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 12:20 AM
  • Thanks - I did run chkdsk and all seemed fine.  I think what I found out was since the last SVC Pack I had not upgraded a couple of apps that seemed to be having fits.  After I swapped them out, all seems o.k. now.

Really appreciate your help.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 2:27 PM