Why is the app scanning my NAS drive without mapped drives? RRS feed

• Question

• I was running a manual scan and noticed a file taking some time.  It was an ISO image on my NAS drive.  I do not have the drive mapped nor does it show in the options box of files or directories to skip.

Looks like the app is designed to scan all 'attached networks links' ?  This is not good.  If I wanted to scan my file server I would do it a differenet way.  Now I'm waiting for a scan to complete that is holding me up.  I';d like to see a results report with a clean bill of health instead of cancelling the app.

Scanning a network attached link is not smart for a laptop over a wireless connection.  This needs to be lookied into.

Hope someone reacts to this.

Regards,

Bill Z

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:32 AM

Answers

• I have never experienced OneCare scanning any drive other than locally attached drives. If your NAS provided software that makes it appear to be a local drive to the OS, then OneCare will also think it is a local drive. You can exclude any file, folder, or even drive from being scanned by opening Onecare, clicking Change Settings, Virus and Spyware tab, exclusions button. Add the Drive to the exclusion list. If you've tried that, and it seems like you did, but you don't see the NAS in the offered locations to select, I suggest contacting support to have this investigated as OneCare should only be scanning local drives.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:38 PM

All replies

• I have never experienced OneCare scanning any drive other than locally attached drives. If your NAS provided software that makes it appear to be a local drive to the OS, then OneCare will also think it is a local drive. You can exclude any file, folder, or even drive from being scanned by opening Onecare, clicking Change Settings, Virus and Spyware tab, exclusions button. Add the Drive to the exclusion list. If you've tried that, and it seems like you did, but you don't see the NAS in the offered locations to select, I suggest contacting support to have this investigated as OneCare should only be scanning local drives.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:38 PM
  • hey Bill

Can you also check if that ISO file its scanning is there in your recent docuemnts/items or you ever accessed it and its thr in your recent documents/items

thanks

Monty[MSFT]

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:46 PM