Prometric site is terrible RRS feed

• General discussion

• I can't ever get that site to work when I need it. Try to view a testing center or availability and the site will time out. Try to schedule a test and the site will time out. Come on now! This has been happening since Microsoft switched to them a few years ago. I would expect those problems to be gone by now but no. Microsoft please go back to Pearson Vue! At least their site is ran professionally and they give you the testing center results sorted by distance to where you live rather than an alphabetical list that you have to decipher of which ones are closer to you. I know I'm not the only one experiencing these problems with Prometric. Speak up & add to this thread so hopefully someone at MS will take a look into it.
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 3:23 PM

All replies

• Why doesn’t Prometric recruit another location in New Jersey (near Exit 4 of the NJ Turnpike) for IT professionals to take Microsoft and other certification exams?

Why doesn’t Prometric fix it’s web site?  It’s 2010, and a company that has a monopoly on Microsoft Certification Exams should have a web site that is more reliable than my personal web site.

Why do I rant about Prometric?  Let me count the ways.  Better yet, I’ll just recount the exam I took last month.

First, registering for the exam.  For several days (yes, days…), I tried to connect to the Prometric web site.  It timed out when I tried to find the nearest location to take an exam.  Not once, not twice, but I could not connect for several days.  I tried different browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox), and different locations (client site with huge bandwidth, my home with Comcast BLAST! broadband).  No joy.

Next, I confirmed that there is only one test location near me.  One.  There used to be three in Mount Laurel, and one in Medford that were within fifteen minutes.  Now there is one.  They have two seats, and Microsoft Exams require you book for three hours, so they can only accommodate four tests per day.  In Mount Laurel we have a HUGE group of engineering, networking, software development, and infrastructure people and companies who employ them.  Northrup Grumman, Lockheed, Computer Associates, Cisco, NetApp, Continental Resources (where I work!), CSC, and others.

One testing location with two seats.  That’s what we have.  Next closest is Philadelphia.  Minimum time to travel is 45 minutes to Philly.  You can take the PATCO high speed line, or drive.  It’s close, but it takes a minimum of 45 minutes each way, and that’s assuming you can find a parking spot or take PATCO and walk.  Garage parking in center city Philadelphia can be $20.  The cheapest lot parking is $9, and it’s at 23rd and Arch Streets, which is 20 blocks from one of the two test centers in Philadelphia.

In my case, the closest available seats were at Delaware County Community College.  It’s a great testing center, but it’s 50 minutes from my house, and the only way to get there is I95 and the Blue Route (or the Delaware County Parking Lot as I like to call it). 

After driving for an hour, and finding the Testing Center, I waited for almost two hours.  Why?  Because the staff had problems logging into the testing computer.  Apparently the account(s) they used were locked out. 

TWO HOURS.  I left the house at 9:05 and arrived at the testing center around 10:10.  I sat down to take the exam just before noon.  The exam took 45 minutes, and I spent 15 minutes doing the Survey to ____ about deficiencies with Prometric.  I then went to my client site to perform billable work.  So, instead of taking an exam locally, with a total elapsed time of 60 minutes, no, let’s assume I stop for coffee, make that 90 minutes, It took me from 9AM until 1PM to take an exam.  FOUR HOURS.  Due to the location, I was still an hour away from my client’s site (Blue Route had a lane closure and Friday afternoon traffic).  My total elapsed time was five hours from my house to my client site. 

OK, Prometric, the ball is in your court.  I left my e-mail and cell phone contact information on your web site, Microsoft eval, and e-mail to your company.  I haven’t heard back yet, and I bet you don’t call.  I’ll call you on Monday to touch base and post a follow-up here.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Hmm .... I can understand your anger, but I am a little wondering about traveling times. 45 - 50 minutes ....

Ok, I grew up on a complete countryside - I went to the next school and it took 1 hour to get there one way ... that is a normal time in my eyes ...

Now I work in a big german city (Frankfurt / Main) and I live directly in this city. Getting to work takes me 1 hour single way.

So what are you complaining about. It can simply take some time. It is a big luck if you can live more or less next door to somewhere.

But that is just my opinion and maybe you are simply used to something else. I can understand all the other anger and maybe you can get some feedback. Some parts sounded like "bad luck" e.g. computer problems when you arrived there ... I hope you have more luck in the future.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Konrad, I appreciate your perspective, but there are several issues.

• Prometric is a monopoly for Microsoft testing.  We have no other choice.
    • The Prometric web site was unavailable, or non-functional for several days in a row in December.  
    • Prometric test centers have been reduced to the point that you can't schedule an exam without two weeks notice and a travel time of two hours. 
    • Prometric has not responded to inquiries regarding new test centers or expansion of existing ones.  There are four community colleges in my area, none of which offer Prometric testing.  The closest is Delaware County Community College, which is almost an hour drive.
    • I live in the fourth largest metropolitan area in the United States (http://philadelphia.about.com/cs/fast_facts/a/population.htm)

I'm not in the countryside.  I'm in Burlington County, New Jersey, just east of Philadelphia.  The town I live in has 40,000 people, there are ~5MM (that's MILLION) people in a fifty mile radius.  This is probably similar to the Frankfurt region, but without the mass transit (I miss the trains in Europe).

It's not getting any better, and my complaint is not an isolated incident.  Last week, a co-worker drove to Union, NJ (outside NYC) to take an exam.  He called the test center the day before to confirm they would be open (due to weather).  The test center was closed.  He was never contacted, and called Prometric to re-schedule the exam, but he spent an entire day (two hours drive up, waited for test center to open, several hours drive back due to weather). This is unacceptable, but it seems to be a pattern in the past several months with Prometric.

My question for Microsoft is - can they offer another option other than Prometric for Microsoft Certification.

My question for Prometric is - will you recruit more test centers in urban areas and make your web site more robust for registration?  

I am an MCSE, MCT, etc, and have been taking Microsoft Certification tests since 1996.  I hold Cisco certifications as well, have a degree in Chemical Engineering, and 25+ years industry experience.  My time, and the time of my peers is valuable, and it appears that Prometric doesn't care.

Regards,

Paul 

• Edited by Paul Begley Tuesday, January 11, 2011 6:21 PM clarification, typo.
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I understoof all your points and I am really sure, that I cannot help with all these. The only point that I thought that I could contribute is, that it could be acceptable to have to drive 45 - 50 minutes. And I just argued, that I was living in 2 different locations already - from extreme countryside to one of the biggest cities in germany - and I experienced that timing always.

And of course: All your points can be understood fully from my side but I fear that I cannot contribute to that. I could tell you something about "Managers reducing cost at all costs" or something like that, but that will a) be simple guessing because I know nothing about the politics and changes in the past and b) will not help anyone.

And in my answer I had no intention to tell you something like "Shut up your complaints" or something like that. I just saw a small point where I thought that I could share some thoughts. (And I thought about this travel times in the past multiple times.)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:02 PM
    Answerer
  • I feel your pain Paul. Heck I don't even drive more than 25 minutes to work. To drive further than that for a test is crazy. That's not taking into account that some people get paid hourly so each hour that they have to drive for a test is an hour they are not getting paid. I've literally been trying to schedule a test since the third week of December. Forget several days, try several weeks! Most prometric sites don't even offer weekend testing. Heck I've lost most of my motivation for taking this MS cert. It's been 3 weeks now and I still can't take this test because I can't schedule it. And the cherry on top? I don't even need MS certs for my job! I do it because I want the cert & to prove I can pass it. Not once since MS switched to prometric have I been able to schedule a test without a problem. With this latest experience I will probably wait another year before I take another cert. I can't let prometric raise my stress any more than they already have with this latest cert I'm trying to take. I'm hoping in 2012 they will be better but if their track records is any indication then I won't hold my breath.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:08 AM
  • First off.  Anyone who is complaining that they used to have 3 testing centers within a 15 minute drive and now only has one really needs to step back and think about what they are saying.

Personally I have to drive 4 hours to write a test, then 4 hours to get back home.   Before MS Exams were removed from the other companies listing I only had to drive a little over an hour.  Also, this is a horrible testing center.  It is right next to a classroom, that always seems to break / renter class as I am mid-exam. 

So I have to pay 140 bucks in gas, 130.00 for a hotel, 30+ bucks for food, plus 125.00 for the exam, mis a day of work.  I am very lucky where work pays for all of this, however its a lot of stress because I really dont want to fail!  I would love to be able to walk into a testing center and 'just wing it' at least one time!

/rant off :)

I also really hate the website!!!. I have issues 50% of the time.  Reguardless of if I am checking booked dates or booking a test, half the time the website times out.  In the past i have called in several times to book a test because I coudnt complte it online.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:02 AM
  • This kinda surprised me. I live in tiny Little Rock, AR, and we have 2 testing sites in this city, one being a big Prometric training center(which screwed up on 3 out of 4 of my exams).

And website does totally suck. A different login for each vendor? really?

Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:01 PM
  • Thank you for keeping this thread alive with your new comment. Hopefully others will come out from hiding. People Microsoft is not going to punish you if you speak out against its preferred testing vendor on this website.
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 2:23 AM
  • I am driving the 4 hours today to write my final enterprise admin exam.  I am not concerned of failing the actual exam other then idont want to have to drive the 8 hours again...

After this exam I am working on some Cisco certs, so I wont have to deal with prometric for sometime.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 2:46 PM
  • I came to this forum to find out if others have issues with Prometric website.  I scheduled a test for January date, then I rescheduled online to a date in Feburary.  On the website everything went through without error message.  So I am assuming my Feb test date is good.  I was appalled to find out today the website showed I still had the original test date in January and there is "no show".  I called the 800 number and was told by a very unfriendly woman that she cannot help me.  If it was not there, it was not there.  It is my responsibility to always check the candidate history to verify.  If your system is a functional system, it should saved what I had put in.  I wrote a complaint to prometric, as I have experienced before, expected no response.  I will give you un update if there is a miracle.  Their website and customer services, I completely agreed, are terrible.

O

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:26 PM
  • I have changed my address and I am trying to update it also at prometric site but there are no chances that I can do that. I am trying it since 2 weeks but I still get the same error "The page cannot be displayed. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later...". If they really apologize for the inconvenience why in the world, they don't try to fix it? The web site also is not user friendly at all, no place where to log in; I searched in google to find the login place. Definitely terrible web site.

As for the test centers, I am more than happy here in my city.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Thank you guys for keeping this thread alive. Olivia I feel your pain. It took me 3 weeks to be able to schedule my test with the Prometric site because it was always timing out. When I finally got it to schedule me I forgot I had my old address with them & figured my credit card wouldn't be charged properly because it wouldn't be billed to the right address. I tried to cancel the test but it wouldn't let me. Big surprise. I hope more people come out of the woodworks & express their disappointment here with Prometric. Thanks everyone.
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:34 AM
  • I've also been trying to schedule a test for three days now, getting as far as entering the payment details and then receiving an error message. Tried several times, several browsers, several locations and it's just annoying. (Mind you, yesterday at some point I didn't even get as far as that).

My nearest test centre - 40 minutes journey time - also *temporarily* closed and now I've got a 1.5 hours journey. Tried to contact Prometric several times about why it closed and if there is a chance that it reopens (after all, it says temporarily) but they don't seem to consider it important to reply.

Monday, January 31, 2011 7:26 PM
  • that is bad hope they refunded you
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 12:07 PM
  • If you think the Prometric site is a joke, for us in England i even worst. A total disaster. i have an exam monday I am not sure i will go with a new microsoft id or not. Try to call them and imposible to understand their english!! I was so happy with Person Vue; what happen? I guess was just money because the service client is awful with Prometric
    Friday, August 5, 2011 10:56 AM
  • I am an MCT (Microsoft Trainer) and I hate prometric so much that I have often considered decertifying so I would no longer have to deal with Prometric. Seriously.

First, they only have 1 testing center in [My City] and that testing center has so many issues with Prometric that they only offer testing 1 or 2 days a week for a few hours. I have personally visited this site to enquire about the lack of openings and I was told in few words that they themselves find working with Prometric to be infuriating. Need I say more? So I have to drive to [Another City] to take tests which is 1.5 hours away. Also, my city is by no means a “town.” Pearson VUE has about 10 or so centers here!!!

Since I am an MCT I have to actually call into Prometric to schedule tests and get my discount on exams and let me be 100% honest with you… if you hate their website you have in no way experienced the hell that is their phone support. Rude, challenging, inept and rarely helpful is how I would classify it. Funny thing is you can talk to most MCT’s and you will find a near universal distain towards Prometric. They do really universally suck.

Today I was about to schedule my next batch of tests (I take 2-4 a day since I have to drive to another city to take them) and I noticed that they are implementing a rescheduling fee. It is as if they are attempting to be the world’s most hated company. Obviously some won’t find this to be an issue but often I have to reschedule tests because of work or training and this infuriates me.

Years ago when I found out Pearson VUE was being discontinued as a provider I bought as many vouchers as I could through them to avoid Prometric for as long as possible. Not long enough.

Friday, September 9, 2011 4:00 AM
  • I am a certified IT Tech living in London UK

I am partially sighted and have followed Prometrics instructions to apply for extra exam time so i can complete my exam with no worries. I sent them airmail with the documents, faxes with the documents and emails with the documents....2 months later...nothing has happened.

I was so enraged i called them and forced one of their support advisers to CONFIRM they recieved my email whilst being on the phone....this also produced nothing. i am so angry i am grinding my teeth

I placed 2 offical complaints through their website and i get generic responses telling me they did not recieve anything and to try again.......i have had all i can take

I am going to do things the right way one more time...make a third offical complaInt...after that i will look into taking legal action....Prometric may very well be the end of my I.T career if this continues

MICROSOFT ARE YOU READING THESE COMPLAINTS DO SOEMTHING....PLEASE!!!!!

Friday, December 9, 2011 5:55 PM
  • I've got to add my voice of complaint too. Prometric's website is just unacceptable, it's unfit for purpose. If I could schedule my exam with anothe provider I would, but sadly I'm having to put up and shut up with their dire service.

For me the issue is that I can't create a new login. The website for, whatever reason belives I already exist. It's possible that I do... I took my first Microsoft exam in 2001 and that could have been with prometeric, but I definitely don't know what email address I would have used back then, I don't have a clue what my prometric ID is. I've taken several exams with Pearson Vue in the mean time.

Having entered all of my details in the Prometric website tells me I already exist... do I want a password reminder?... Yes please... 'enter your prometric ID to continue'. Oh dear, I can't - that's exactly what I don't have. So I've contacted support who are looking into this for me. It must be a serious problem as they've been looking at it for 3 days now. I wanted to take my exam tomorrow, but this isn't going to happen now. I'm back in work next week so I'm not sure when I'll next get the chance to take this.

If you are listening in the Microsoft machine... please provide alternatives for exam providers. Competition works!!

As a web developer myself I've got to say the prometric site is a really sloppy piece of work all round.

Paul Dowman, CRM Developer
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:15 PM
  • please help me

I face technical problem on additional information page in the steps of new appointment to mccee exam scheduling One of required steps is country, me from Sudan and it is not present in drop list, this step is mandatory for scheduling and proceeding in the appointment, so i stuck here and cannot proceed in the application for the exam day and center. I need your opinion what to do????

Saturday, January 21, 2012 9:54 AM
  •  

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share a horrible experience I had at a Prometric Test Centre located at 4900 Sheppard Avenue East, Suite 208, Scarborough, Ontario Canada. The following is their contact information:

Canadian College of Business Science andTechnology
    Toronto, Ontario M1S 4A7
    Phone: 416 850 6028 Site Code: on222

The following is a list of issues I experienced there:

1. The exam room itself was small and besides having only 4 computers for the tests, it had a lot of computer junk (old PC's, boxes, etc) stashed away in a corner collecting dust and making for an unsafe environment.

2. They didn't have enough lighting in the room.

3. The blinds on the windows were such that the test centre staff couldn't close them since the stick (that would do such things and that's attached to the blinds) was up too high

4. While I was actually writing the exam there and the clock was ticking, the test centre staff came in and interrupted me for petty and unnecessary things such as the following. It almost looked like they did that on purpose, maybe trying to discriminate against me and to make me fail the exam by trying to waste my time and trying to engage me in a conversation:

a. It's snowing out there.
    b. How am I doing so far?
    c. Am I almost done with the exam?
    d. Come see me in so and so room when you're done with the exam.

Regarding the interruptions, I talked to them during and after the exam and they told me that before I started writing the exam, I should have told them that I wouldn't like to be interrupted/disturbed.

From that response, it seemed to me that perhaps they might not have ever written or passed any exams in their entire life !! The whole concept of an exam is that the examinee (the person writing the exam) needs to pay full uninterrupted attention to the exam without any disturbances. This is an obvious. Asking the examinee to tell the exam centre not to disturb him during the exam is ridiculous.

I also filed a complaint about this on www.prometric.com website and received an email from Prometric saying that I should call their toll free number to complain. So far, I haven’t been able to find the time to do that considering the hold/wait time on such phone calls. And they might dismiss this whole thing as hear say since I don’t actually have real hard recorded evidence or any signed incident report about this.

Friday, February 17, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Hey guys,

I was the one who originally started this thread due to the frustration I experienced with Prometric's site. I want to thank everyone that replied to the thread.

Although I have no proof that this thread did anything, I have to say that their site has improved dramatically when it comes to the timeout issues. I scheduled an exam back in March of 2012 & it never timed out. Also viewing the site before actually scheduling just to see the locations & dates worked without timeouts.

I also just scheduled another test for the month of May & it went without a hitch.

Although there are still some improvements needed in their web interface & lack of locations, the most frustrating part of website timeouts seems to be fixed.

Again, thanks to all who replied.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:44 AM
  • Prometric sucks so badly!!!

I have scheduled exams at VUE for years, not a problem at all, but when it comes to Prometric it never works!!

Now I have my login not working, lost the period to use my vouchers and can't get anyone to help me out. Sent a couple of e-mails, tryied to reset password, none of them worked out. Now waiting on the phone in a international call to try to fix it, just unbelievable!!!

Bruno Nobrega

Monday, June 11, 2012 4:24 PM
  • I'm having the same registration issues on Prometric. This experience is very poor and even worse because I'm trying to register for the new Beta certs before they expire. 

Microsoft ought to seriously reconsider partnering with these guys.

Monday, August 13, 2012 10:49 AM
  • Hello Bruno & Jay. Thanks for adding to the thread.

The last time I scheduled an exam was probably in June. On my end things seemed to be working fine but I don't doubt your experiences.

On a side note, an exam proctor told me that MS had just signed a new lease agreement with Pearson Vue. So perhaps MS is going back with them? I don't know how true it is but I wouldn't mind it.

Monday, August 13, 2012 10:11 PM
  • Rubbish, my old prometric account doesnt work anymore and cant create a new account either.....

error at line 1

Micatio Software Free IIS Azure Web Log App

Friday, September 7, 2012 10:54 AM
  • Geeez....have these guys heard about testing.

Tried to cancel an exam gives me :

The page cannot be displayed

We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later.
    If the problem persists, please contact our webmaster

This new website doesnt function at all, maybe they deployed the de version !

Micatio Software Free IIS Azure Web Log App

Friday, September 7, 2012 9:26 PM
  • I remember those days. Prometric just doesn't learn. Luckily I am now studying for Cisco exams so I won't need this website for at least 6 months.
    Friday, September 7, 2012 10:10 PM
    • Edited by Tracy'S Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:47 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:46 PM
  • Worse than their site not working is calling them on the phone. I called them six times to schedule a test. They hung up on me. Couldn't find a testing center. And then when they found one, they kept calling the site's fax number. By the time I got scheduled, I had an hour before I had to be back at work. Now I am trying to use a second shot voucher, because as you can imagine, I didn't pass. And they are just saying that I didn't enter the voucher number when I registered over the phone.... really? WHY does Microsoft use them? If I were Microsoft I would consider them an embarrassment to what should be a prestigious program. I have been Microsoft certified for years, but I am about to come to the conclusion that it isn't worth the time it takes to get them to accomplish even the simplest tasks.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:28 PM
  • I'm adding my $.02.  As of January 2013, unless there have been updates I'm unaware of, the only method of receiving the MCT test discount is to call Prometric.  What a joke.  Has anybody tried to find the phone number for Prometric recently?  Good luck.  I Googled it and found a number but it turns out it was for IRS testing.  The phone was answered immediately and the customer service agent was very helpful.

Then I was transferred to the MS agent.  Horrible.  I couldn't make it through the accent so I hung up and tried again.  The second attempt wasn't much better but I muddled through it.  I wanted to schedule all 10 of my upcoming tests at once.  Ha!  You have to provide your credit card information each time.  It would have taken an hour to get this done.  She provided me with a phone number for bulk testing.  I called it and their message made mention of an email address.  I've emailed them.  I have very little hope of getting anything accomplished.

Microsoft - use your muscle and get this straightened out.  Your MCPs/MCTs are often the public face of your company.  What was wrong with VUE?  I've never had a single issue when using them for Cisco tests.  What do I have to call Prometric to schedule a test to get my MCT discount?  Is this efficient to you?  Is my time not valuable?  Google "prometric sucks" and take it from there.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:40 PM
  • Well.  I have to eat some of my words.  Soon after posting my original reply I received a phone call from Prometric's Bulk Registration.  That worked for me because I'm registering for more than 5 tests.  The email address is bulk.registration@prometric.com.  Their outgoing message states it's a 5 test minimum, but if you're reigstering for less than 5 tests, why not give it a shot? 

The person that called me was extremely polite, helpful and easily understood.

Since they were easily able to apply my 50% discount, why isn't there an email account for all MCTs to use?

• Edited by mkasd Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:51 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:50 PM
  • I'm adding my $.02.  As of January 2013, unless there have been updates I'm unaware of, the only method of receiving the MCT test discount is to call Prometric.  What a joke.  Has anybody tried to find the phone number for Prometric recently?  Good luck.  I Googled it and found a number but it turns out it was for IRS testing.  The phone was answered immediately and the customer service agent was very helpful.

Then I was transferred to the MS agent.  Horrible.  I couldn't make it through the accent so I hung up and tried again.  The second attempt wasn't much better but I muddled through it.  I wanted to schedule all 10 of my upcoming tests at once.  Ha!  You have to provide your credit card information each time.  It would have taken an hour to get this done.  She provided me with a phone number for bulk testing.  I called it and their message made mention of an email address.  I've emailed them.  I have very little hope of getting anything accomplished.

Microsoft - use your muscle and get this straightened out.  Your MCPs/MCTs are often the public face of your company.  What was wrong with VUE?  I've never had a single issue when using them for Cisco tests.  What do I have to call Prometric to schedule a test to get my MCT discount?  Is this efficient to you?  Is my time not valuable?  Google "prometric sucks" and take it from there.

If you visited the MCT portal and forums (http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/mct/default.aspx) you would have known that there is now other ways to access MCT discounts :-)

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, January 4, 2013 4:32 AM
  • Why all the suspense?  I visited the MCT portal - the Microsoft instructions make it very clear that it has to be done in person or over the phone.  The BornToLearn site isn't very useful.  A quick glance at the recent post dates reveal I'm not the the only one to not visit it.

So don't keep us guessing - what's the "other way"?

Monday, January 7, 2013 7:57 PM
  • Why all the suspense?  I visited the MCT portal - the Microsoft instructions make it very clear that it has to be done in person or over the phone.  The BornToLearn site isn't very useful.  A quick glance at the recent post dates reveal I'm not the the only one to not visit it.

So don't keep us guessing - what's the "other way"?

There have been many discussions on the MCT site regarding the 50% discount and second shot vouchers.  Here's a brief overview for you:

1. Go to MCT Central - http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/mct/default.aspx
    2. Look in the MCT Offers area (at the bottom of the page)
    3. Click on the Second Shot link - http://bsf01.com/Microsoft_Vouchers/SecondShot_MCT.aspx
    4. The very top of the Second Shot link states - "Here you can obtain exam vouchers for Microsoft exams AT 50% OFF, and get a Second Shot if you fail. "
    5. Register online for your exam - http://www.register.prometric.com/

These new vouchers enable you to register for an exam online and get a 50% discount and a free second shot.  Can't get much simpler than that :-)

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Monday, January 7, 2013 10:22 PM
  • I dont understand why Microsoft is still with Prometric. All the centers in my area have all closed up and there is none in my area anymore. We use to have about 5,now there is none. I had to travel 120 minutes during the week one way just to do one exam recently . The experience was horrible. Personvue is everywhere and even 15 minutes from my place. I was suppose to pay for the second stage of the Microsoft exam i did but i have not.The thought of  going through that stress and discomfort just to get Microsoft certification is really scary.I am the one paying for all this myself,not my company or my parents. Cant find any center that is available during weekends. They are all the London with so much traffic, toll charge,congestion charge and abt almost two hours to get to London is really putting me off

This is 2013. Must we all go through pain to be Microsoft certified?

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:56 PM
  • I dont understand why Microsoft is still with Prometric. All the centers in my area have all closed up and there is none in my area anymore. We use to have about 5,now there is none. I had to travel 120 minutes during the week one way just to do one exam recently . The experience was horrible. Personvue is everywhere and even 15 minutes from my place. I was suppose to pay for the second stage of the Microsoft exam i did but i have not.The thought of  going through that stress and discomfort just to get Microsoft certification is really scary.I am the one paying for all this myself,not my company or my parents. Cant find any center that is available during weekends. They are all the London with so much traffic, toll charge,congestion charge and abt almost two hours to get to London is really putting me off

This is 2013. Must we all go through pain to be Microsoft certified?

I now find myself in a very similar situation.  In central Ohio (very technology-focused economy) we used to have at least a half dozen Prometric testing centers.  I hadn't noticed, but apparently over the last few years the testing centers have been dropping Prometric.  The company that I used to always test at dropped them in mid-April, my "backup" location dropped them sometime before that, and as of today there is only one Prometric testing center left anywhere near Columbus, and their last day of delivering Prometric exams is 4/30.  I just found that out this morning when I took 70-417.  Fortunately, the last exam that I need for my MCSE was already booked for 4/29.   If I don't pass it then I'll have to drive to Cleveland, Cincy, or Toledo to sit for the exam.  I'm assuming that will be possible, since Prometric's site still lists testing centers in those cities.  Of course they also still list the 3 testing centers in Columbus that I've tried to use, and two of them no longer administer the exams.

What on earth is going on with Prometric?  We've all known that they've been just awful for years, but at this point I'm at the end of my rope.  If my only option is a 4 hour round trip drive to sit for an exam, I just won't bother with Microsoft exams any more.  Fortunately my current employer is largely indifferent to certification.  They'll pay for it, but don't require it.

Monday, April 22, 2013 4:41 PM
  • I have been trying to book an exam for 2 weeks now.  site times out and asks me to contact their web master (I thought web-masters became extinct in the late 80's).  Microsoft should get their big stick out and beat Prometric into 2013.  

Please Microsoft,  help us out and chuck Prometric some free Azure hosting..

Monday, May 20, 2013 9:41 AM
  • I am in Columbus, Ohio and can NOT believe the frustrating experiences I've had with trying to schedule MS exams in the past 6 months.  Prometric has definitely fallen down, hard.  It is as if testing providers are fleeing from Prometric and MS exams.  Yes we still have two major test providers in town, Babbage Simmel and New Horizons, but since the total number of test centers has dropped recently, good luck getting an appointment.  One MAJOR Columbus IT testing center, the Columbus State Community College, just dropped Prometric testing altogether.  Pretty sad because that college is a major promoter of technology and IT training in Ohio.  As for Prometric, well, I am only able to access the features I need on the their web site 50% of the time, other times I get odd site errors or an "apology" message about a feature being unavailable.  On top of that, as others have mentioned, what the holy heck is up with Prometric charging a $35.00 rescheduling fee?  I can't draw too many positive conclusions when I see I am not the only one who has a major problem (if not a serious dislike) of Prometric, along with the shrinking number of testing time slots and testing centers, and an apparent withdraw by testing centers from MS exams.  Not only that, and this one is on you Microsoft... I just recently tried to schedule the 70-410 and 70-411 exams.  Your cert info site says the exam training materials are available.  Silly me, I went and bought vouchers for both 70-410 and 70-411...then I go checking EVERY book store I can find...and there are NO 70-411 certification training books available.  And no, I really don't want to sit there and go through 5,000+ web pages.  At least the 410 book was available I guess.  So then I tried to schedule the 70-411 exam?  What happens?  A newly stood up testing center, decides to shut down within weeks of opening.  My exam?  Cancelled.  Since I bought a discount voucher to take the test, I assume there's nothing MS or Prometric can do...I am just out my money - thanks.  Microsoft - YOU ARE DRIVING THIS BUS.  Take charge, or get off the road and end your certification program completely.  The only message I can take from this virtually ignored "Prometric is terrible" thread hosted on YOUR web site is that Microsoft certifications are no longer as valuable or in as high demand as they once were.  Kind of sad, I have several...so they're worthless now?  And now that I have been paying for training materials, exams, computer hardware and software (including a TechNet subscription), and exam testing software...for YEARS...I am really getting the hint that you and Prometric are trying to tell us we need to spend money and time elsewhere.  FIX THIS.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Ha, joke's on me.  Just tried to go to www.prometric.com, go to check seat availability, I get "page cannot be displayed"..."we apologize for the inconvenience".  Point made, Prometric.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:03 PM
  • Just want to let you guys know that nothing changed... I'm trying to sign up for exam at Prometrics site for last 3 days. Every time I get " The page cannot be displayed. We apologize for the inconvenience." after payment confirmation. Nobody from Prometric bothered to respond to my e-mail.

I simply can't understand how it is possible that the main functionality of the site is down for 3 days and they don't seem to care about it.

The best part of this is they say on their web page "Prometric strives to offer World Class Service and we care about your testing experience.".

MS should finally do something about this.

Thursday, July 4, 2013 3:02 AM
  • Same Issues here.
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 4:50 AM
  • This is very frustrating. Must have tried 20 times to book my next exam in the past day and it gives the same error as mentioned by velhad. Send them a couple of e-mails and haven't heard back. Called them and after navigating their menu and waiting for their extremely long automated messages I ended up hanging up after 5 minutes of the phone ringing without anybody picking it up. 
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 5:34 AM
  • @ViliB Your right.  I've been trying on and off for a few days now to get a exam scheduled.  Messages and tweets to Prometric without any answer.  Messages to Microsoft have been going unanswered in regards to this also.
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 3:53 PM
  • I take care of the certification needs of my colleagues and to automate things I requested an account on the Prometric voucher express web site (this allows you to order exam vouchers online).

First of all, it took me 6 months to get an account. The registration process wasn't working and no one at Prometric could tell me why (not on EMEA-level, not on global level). From time to time I would retry, send an e-mail to complain and receive an answer like "...can you try again please". Very amateuristic.

Now I have an account I can order vouchers. If there is an error somewhere in the order process, you just get a generic error message. This while the actual error can vary from a required field that isn't filled in, error in credit card validation to an actual error with the web site. Again, very amateuristic.

I don't understand how an organisation like this is able to get selected by Microsoft as a prefered (and only!) partner. The grief and trouble it causes so many people should say something. Prometric is doing this for many a year now. It's their core business. They should know better.

Dimitri C. - Please mark the replies as answers if they help! Thanks.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:55 AM
  • But last week I requested for a voucher account and prometric was able to answer me within 24hrs. I simply logged on to the site after selecting appropriate option I was able to complete my transactions.

Kindly revisit the site again.

Cheers

Johnson

Sunday, August 11, 2013 9:09 AM
  • My complaint: I have a voucher for an exam pack. 3 exams. 70-461, 462, 463. I have taken only the first one. The voucher doesn't work anymore. I have been given the runaround for 3 weeks now. Spoken to them 6 times atleast. The latest is that they tell me a couple of "payment denied" attempts have counted as exam attempts. Is this a joke or absolute b.s? I have been given a ticket number, 4-5 days wait and then what? There is no way to even escalate it anywhere. I would like to give up but I've already paid for this!
    • Edited by R.Al Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:57 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:55 PM
  • It is hard to believe that the Prometric site is still having this problem in 2014. I cannot log in and I am getting the same error as everyone is complaining about:

"The page cannot be displayed"

"We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact our webmaster."

The last time I scheduled an exam back in November 2013, I was having the same issue, which seems to have been a problem since 2011. I cannot remember what I did to finally get my exam scheduled. I think I just kept trying every day until I got lucky.

Update: I was finally able to log in. At the login page, there is a link at the right to recover your account. Click it even if you know you are using the correct password. It will ask your security question and will prompt you to change your password. Once I changed it, I could then log in. This is what I had to do the last time I had this problem. I remember now. Hope this helps and I hope Prometric can get this fixed.

• Edited by noleo Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:10 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:07 PM
  • It is hard to believe that the Prometric site is still having this problem in 2014. I cannot log in and I am getting the same error as everyone is complaining about:

"The page cannot be displayed"

"We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact our webmaster."

The last time I scheduled an exam back in November 2013, I was having the same issue, which seems to have been a problem since 2011. I cannot remember what I did to finally get my exam scheduled. I think I just kept trying every day until I got lucky.

Update: I was finally able to log in. At the login page, there is a link at the right to recover your account. Click it even if you know you are using the correct password. It will ask your security question and will prompt you to change your password. Once I changed it, I could then log in. This is what I had to do the last time I had this problem. I remember now. Hope this helps and I hope Prometric can get this fixed.

I'm facing a similar problem: I'm able to log in but I cannot schedule an exam (I'm actually interested in a MCITP exam).
    I wrote a message to the Prometric Support and they've answered me they're working to fix the problem: at this moment the problem ha still not been solved.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:18 PM
  • I can not even log in using my account, can not register as well. Page can not be displayed, and tried to ring numbers on the site, one no answer and one does not exist.

The thing there is not even an alternative.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:30 AM
  • Still terrible (Feb 13)

the site is down for the past 48 hours ,and I cannot book an exam.

the call center is slow, and dropped my call twice already

Why on earth this is the service provider used by Microsoft

Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:22 PM
  • As time passes, some things in this world should remain unchanged. For example, terrible service of Prometric. 

Have been trying to schedule exam for the last 2 days. Perhaps it is a part of the test if you can actually get through this awful, slow, buggy web-site, you are eligible for the next round: Microsoft exam itself.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:59 AM
  • I just spend three hours on hold trying to talk to a Prometric representative after realizing that I had scheduled my exam at the wrong testing facility through their terrible site. My cell battery died, and I am out my testing fee, and thoroughly disgusted. This is no way to treat developers. If there were actually any competition in this space, there would be no Prometric.
    Friday, April 4, 2014 6:57 PM
  • Agreed. Prometric is horrible.
    Saturday, April 5, 2014 6:49 PM
  • I am in a different case. I live in Nepal. I am trying to sign up for prometric to book my exams and check my vouchers. But prometric is not allowing me to get through it. Nothing comes up. Only the first page of registration. Can anybody help me with this?

Prometric is annoying....

Monday, April 7, 2014 1:52 PM
  • I am in a different case. I live in Nepal. I am trying to sign up for prometric to book my exams and check my vouchers. But prometric is not allowing me to get through it. Nothing comes up. Only the first page of registration. Can anybody help me with this?

Prometric is annoying....

Same thing happen to me. I am from Malaysia. When I try to register, there is no state for the city I live, Kuala Lumpur which is the capital city of Malaysia. Other states are available though.

Then I try using my parent home address, but nothing happen just stuck at the registration page. What the .....

Sunday, April 27, 2014 11:55 AM
  • Have continually seen this same problem over the last two months. Apparently, no one that works for Prometric, or has anything to do with their web site, has actually completed any of their own tests and knows how to run a web site. This is really unacceptable. Time for Microsoft to move their tests somewhere else, or at least, let multiple providers handle it so we can choose. Competition.

Sunday, May 25, 2014 10:16 PM
  • Wow! This thread is alive from 2011.

Here my story: I live in Canada, Montreal. I have two exams that I have to rescheduled and I always get the error message

"The page cannot be displayed. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later..."

I sent an email sunday and three days after I get the same message.

I tried to find a phone number for prometric, I did not find any.

I called the test center, I always get the voice mail and the guy do not return call.

I tried those email:

Globalcandidateservices@prometric.com - from the web site, got an error "Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups"

support@prometric.com - Same result: Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups

vouchers@prometric.com - no answer

If I not able to rescheduled my exam today, I suspect I will lose my money because it will be less than 24 hours.

I am surprised that the customer care has not improved from 2011.

Does some people had success with an email address?

Thank you

Sebastien

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:29 PM
  • Just in case, I got the customer phone number for prometric in North America: 1-800-775-3926

I was able to rescheduled.

Good luck!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:05 PM
  • I really have trouble believing that any 'professional' company can mess up their website this bad.  Forget trying to schedule a test, I need to have an account to do that.  Of course, while trying to register for an account I end up in an endless loop.  I fill out all the information, click the nice submit button, watch the processing animation and, surprise surprise, end up right back at the same page with all password and country information removed.  Web sites are not a new thing, even small ones use DHTML to provide information about which fields have been filled out incorrectly.  Heck, you don't even have to use DHTML, but at least show what I filled out wrong when you bring me back to the same page over and over again.  Near as I can tell I filled out nothing wrong, but who honestly knows.  I've tried sending an email off to them with the complaint, but I have little hope in hearing back from them.  I may have to try and brave phone support to try and book my test.

Oh yeah, and one little other pet peeve.  When is it ever a good idea to have your data privacy agreement in an editable text box?  I mean, I can completely edit it to say whatever I want before clicking agree and submitting.  I know that probably wouldn't accomplish much in any legal argument, but for arguments sake... how lazy do you have to be to not modify your text box to be uneditable?  If I didn't have to use them, I don't think I would ever consider it.  Any time I see that level of laziness and obvious arrogance (seriously, fix the basics) I see a company that obviously doesn't want my business.

EDIT:  On a positive note, I discovered what the website failed to tell me.  Apparently, despite my chosen password meeting their stated complexity requirements their actual requirements must be different.  Upon upping the complexity of my password (The old one was 8 characters, had a uppercase, lowercase and a number.  The new one adds a special character) I was allowed to register.  Now I get the enjoyment of not being able to actually schedule anything due to completely useless errors.  You know, I think I'd rather go back to hating the registration page.
    Tuesday, June 3, 2014 9:48 PM
  • Microsoft is a small fish when you consider the vast number of government exams, company exams, legal exams, and medical exams delivered by Prometric.

Strangely, Prometric doesn't seem to have a public forum for testers to share pains over the exam experiences. Thus, this forum becomes bombarded with unrelated comments from disgruntled test takers.

All complaints here are meaningless and achieve nothing.

NOTE: This forum is monitored by IT professionals like you and me but not by Microsoft or Prometric employees.

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:16 PM
    Answerer