Genuine Windows or just a Cash Grab from Microsoft? RRS feed

• Question

•  I bought my new Intel box in 2003 which came with Windows XP SP1 installed. I had updated it to Windows XP SP2 through Microsoft. It was working fine till a couple of days when I clicked on auto updates and suddenly, I get this message  "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting". What's happening? After 3 years Microsoft decides that my Windows is counterfeit? And I will have to reformat my Hard Drive and reinstall windows from scratch?

What's happening?

Sunday, May 7, 2006 9:45 PM

Answers

• Occasionally we have had some customers that purchased valid copies of Windows or received them when purchasing an OEM system but failed validation. In most cases this has been determined to be the result of the actual Product Key used to install the current version of Windows XP to be blocked. This most often has occurred by the computer being repaired and a Blocked Product Key being used on the computer at that time.

To confirm there are no other blocking issues with your validation such as clock out of synch or IE settings blocking the validation process please run the WGA Diagnostics located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

If everything here is confirmed as functioning properly and you still have issues validating could you please run the wgadiag tool here and post the information for us.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Without actually posting your Product Key in this post compare the last 15 characters of your COA to the last 15 characters in the Diag output. If they are not the same you will have to change the product key. The easiest way to do this without having to re-install applications or lose data is to refer to the Repair Method in this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/en-us

Warning: as with any such major procedure it is highly recommended you backup all critical/personal data on your computer that you would not want to lose and ensure you have the software to re-install your applications should something happen.

Hth

dave

Sunday, May 14, 2006 3:49 PM
  • Concerned:

You are most welcome.  Once the tool is released I will see about getting the link on a sticky at the top of the forums, if possible.

Thanks!

Greg

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:22 PM

All replies

• XXXXXXXXX

Monday, May 8, 2006 2:20 AM
  • PissedOff:

While we appreciate the feedback of all users, refrain from using profanity or slur connotations. This is your only warning.

Remember that all users are welcome to this public forum, and we must respect everyone equally.

-Phil Liu

Monday, May 8, 2006 7:15 AM
  • Occasionally we have had some customers that purchased valid copies of Windows or received them when purchasing an OEM system but failed validation. In most cases this has been determined to be the result of the actual Product Key used to install the current version of Windows XP to be blocked. This most often has occurred by the computer being repaired and a Blocked Product Key being used on the computer at that time.

To confirm there are no other blocking issues with your validation such as clock out of synch or IE settings blocking the validation process please run the WGA Diagnostics located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

If everything here is confirmed as functioning properly and you still have issues validating could you please run the wgadiag tool here and post the information for us.

Without actually posting your Product Key in this post compare the last 15 characters of your COA to the last 15 characters in the Diag output. If they are not the same you will have to change the product key. The easiest way to do this without having to re-install applications or lose data is to refer to the Repair Method in this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/en-us

Warning: as with any such major procedure it is highly recommended you backup all critical/personal data on your computer that you would not want to lose and ensure you have the software to re-install your applications should something happen.

Hth

dave

Sunday, May 14, 2006 3:49 PM
  • Techie786,

I am with you on this! I have that same thing on my computer "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting" I tried to get it off my computer but it won't go away its really a pain in the *** to have that on my toolbar.  Do you think that microsoft is just bored and want to try and find a way to make more money off of the consumers?  Microsoft should develop something to permenately get rid of "Spam" annoying popups although there are things out there to prevent them they aren't 100% effective.  Also, why don't microsoft do something about sites that tell people they can be millionaires in days!  *** like that is so absurd and why they allow people to do that is such BS!

Sunday, May 14, 2006 6:00 PM
  • I have said this on another thread and I will say it again, I feel like my computer has been hijacked!

I want to know how to remove the icon from my taskbar and to stop all this nonsense.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 1:13 PM
  • Hi Dave

After doing the WGA Diagnostics, how do you re-test the computer for the validation?

Thanks

Michael

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 3:58 PM
  •  Concerned wrote:

I have said this on another thread and I will say it again, I feel like my computer has been hijacked!

I want to know how to remove the icon from my taskbar and to stop all this nonsense.

You can right click the icon and it will give you the option to disable the messages...BUT you will not be able to download certain items from Microsoft......or you can do what I did.....load Windows 2000.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:03 PM
  •  kgm32 wrote:
     Concerned wrote:

I have said this on another thread and I will say it again, I feel like my computer has been hijacked!

You can right click the icon and it will give you the option to disable the messages...BUT you will not be able to download certain items from Microsoft......or you can do what I did.....load Windows 2000.

I bought this computer with XP on it. It has the Microsoft logo on the top of it. Underneath it has the whole number etc but why should I have to click on this page or that page and do this or that?

I may sound petty but I did not give permission for this icon or that annoying pop up to be put on my computer and I want Microsoft to take it off. They put it on, they can take it off!

I have read many forums today and many are on about changing OS's and I don't blame them one bit. It won't happen overnight but people like me who have PAID for XP are very annoyed. In the end Microsoft will lose any trust and support for them.

Hijacking computers like this by putting this kind of thing is bordering on the ridiculous. I for one will not be changing to the new OS when it comes out, what is it called Vista Vesta or some other!

Right clicking does not get rid of the new icon that has appeared on my task bar. As for updates, I don't want anymore I don't like the idea of Microsoft being able to take over my computer!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 11:40 PM
  • Concerned:

The WGA team here always appreciates feedback in order to make our program as smooth and as successful as possible.

I agree, if you have a COA sticker on the machine that is genuine, then certainly you have purchased that license for use and should not be bothered at all. I apologize if we have caused major headache.

Can you download this tool:

Please press “copy to clipboard” and paste the response on the forum.

This will help us verify if the Product Key being used on your system matches your COA sticker. Many times, it is a simple fix to help users configure their computer to proper settings.

Thanks!

-Phil Liu 

Thursday, May 18, 2006 12:58 AM
  • The truth of it is Microsoft think we have no choice.

As the marketer of the de facto standard OS, they can charge what they like. I've heard all the stuff about theft of intellectual property, but I just don't buy it.

Microsoft's level of profit borders on the obscene. If all the users of pirated Microsoft product bought legitimate copies, I guess their profit would rise by over 1000%, since the current profit is net of overheads and development costs.

A 50% reduction in retail price would do more to increase sales than any new features included in Vista.

Office and XP cost more than the hardware needed to run them, the situation is ridiculous.

The company practise of selling bloatware of final beta grade has to end, people will not pay for half-finished product. All this activation and WGA combo is just another cash grab from a company which sells us crock software at exorbitant prices because it can, and because it knows we have few alternatives, and because it wants maximise its profits at the expense of the entire world's population.

This isn't a mere cash grab, it's more like demanding money with menaces, a crime in most civilised countries.
    Friday, May 19, 2006 10:27 AM
  • You say post the reply on here but it contains lots of numbers, so which shall I copy as you say don't post info on here?

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0526.1):

--------------------

Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK

Windows Product Key: Removed has numbers

Windows Product Key Hash: Removed has numbers

Windows Product ID: Removed has numbers

Windows Product ID Type: 1

Windows License Type: Volume

Windows OS version: Removed has numbers

Download Center code: Removed has numbers

ID: Removed has numbers

Is Admin: Yes

AutoDial: No

Registry: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, Removed has numbers

Signature Type: Microsoft.

Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete

Cryptography: Complete

Then it gives loads of stuff about the Manufacturer of my TOSHIBA laptop.

It also gives details about my proxy settings and Browser settings.

Friday, May 19, 2006 11:16 AM
  • Concerned:

The numbers listed can in no way be used by anyone else to do harm to you or use your product key illegally.  Only a partial key gets listed so you can identify whether it is the same as the one on your COA. 

Volume Licenses are only available for mostly corporate use and are not for sale as a retail item.

1 - Reinstall Windows so your COA matches your Product Key (install using your COA as the Product Key) - This is the preferred method by Microsoft, as it will be a fresh copy, void of potential hacked binary files and security loops that may have been created to bypass WGA. We know this is usually not the user preference, but it is the safest method.

2 - WGA is underway to create a tool that will allow you to switch your current invalid/non-genuine Product Key being used to your COA sticker *ONLY*. There's no slated timeline, but it will be soon. This will allow you to change product keys being used without a reinstall.

HOWEVER, if it DOES match, I suggest taking the media back to the reseller (best buy?) to resolve the problem, or filing a Counterfeit report with Microsoft. If the report is of high quality media, you may qualify for a free WGA kit. Otherwise, you can purchase a WGA kit directly from Microsoft.

Thanks,

Greg

Friday, May 19, 2006 2:29 PM
  • Phil man, relax!  You sound extremely uptight and seem to enjoy the little piece of power you have on the forums.  Having a bad day or what?

I too have been burned like many others out there with this silly windows garbage that's going on.  I would have really liked to hear what "PissedOff" had to say.

Huge opportunity for Linux right now!!!

Friday, May 19, 2006 3:11 PM
  • Huh? I'm sorry but I don't understand all that.

Reinstalling - will that mean I will lose files/programmes I have on my laptop?

And the COA - is that the number under my laptop?

What is WGA?

I know how to hit the buttons on this thing, open/close things, use whatever programs I use a lot but so far all of this doesn't make sense.

Or should I just wait for the WGA thing?

Sorry but I am not quite sure what it is you want me to do but thank you for the quick reply all the same.

Friday, May 19, 2006 4:14 PM
  • Concerned:

Here is a link to show you how to identify the COA.

Information about locating COA stickers is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

The WGA tool is a tool that we will be releasing some time soon that will enable you to replace a block or invalid product key with your valid key from the COA sticker. 

Reinstalling will indeed wipe out any information on the computer now.  Doing a repair installation would leave the programs and data intact, though I would still recommend backing up data.  If you do not feel comfortable doing a repair install then you might want to wait for the WGA tool. 

Thanks,

Greg

Friday, May 19, 2006 4:30 PM
  •  Chill out wrote:

Phil man, relax!  You sound extremely uptight and seem to enjoy the little piece of power you have on the forums.  Having a bad day or what?

I too have been burned like many others out there with this silly windows garbage that's going on.  I would have really liked to hear what "PissedOff" had to say.

PissedOff had racial slurs and sexual connotations in his post. That's inacceptable in any public forum. I'm simply enforcing the rules.

We definitely appreciate the feedback of all users, and as I've said before, I will not edit anything unless its out of line.

Friday, May 19, 2006 6:20 PM
  • Thank you Greg, I understand what your saying.

I think I would be wise until I wait for the WGA tool as I am not very good when it comes to stuff like this.

I have many photographs and documents on the machine and haven't been able to buy a writer for it yet and may lose everything if I attempt anything now.

I will keep checking back to see if there is any news.

Thank you once again Greg.

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:07 PM
  • Concerned:

You are most welcome.  Once the tool is released I will see about getting the link on a sticky at the top of the forums, if possible.

Thanks!

Greg

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:22 PM
  • I too feel hijacked. You could install Linux or better yet, FreeBSD. You could buy a MAC. I have moved my entire company's server farm to FreeBSD; SaMBa, MySQL, Apache and qmail. I have one BSD box serving up Windoze SMB using Samba that has not been rebooted in 14 months! The pure UNIX stuff does even better. Additionally, I get better performance with less horsepower, which lowers hardware costs. The software is free, stable and forever upgradeable without irritating off-line restarts; however, you can't beat Windoze on the desktop. Too many apps to fight them, but too many viri, bugs and WGA type stuff to luv 'em. C'est la vie...

BTW, the MSFT folks managing this list are IMHO excellent. I am having WGA troubles, but they are responding quickly. They don't make policy and I appreciate their efforts.

Kindest regards to all...

The rhumbfish
    Friday, May 19, 2006 9:20 PM
  • I can tell you it is a cash grab from Microsoft. Little Bill isn't happy with his millions and only wants more.  I think that everyone should switch to linux.  It's free and I have yet to hear of any viruses attacking that system. If everyone does this, then maybe good old Bill would think about his customers a little more.  Maybe even then he would drop the prices to something more affordable to everyone.  Then that just might cut back on all the hacking and reduce the need for a "GENUINE VALIDATION TOOL" hack that microsoft provides it's 'customers' now days. When you think more of your coustomers you have a better buisness.  You screw your customers, your buisness will decrease. Microsoft should quit ripping people off and hacking into people's computers.  Violation of privacy????  Cutting it close I think!
    Friday, May 19, 2006 10:43 PM
  • I agree I have had mine for several years and went through activiation and and installed all of the updates that were available including service pack 1 and 2 and then some updates installed but didn't say what they were and shortly afterwords I recieved the error message that windows may not be geniue, which was brought from one of there retailers. After the inspecting of the system when service pack 1 and 2 was installed it seems that it would have said something then. I think and feel that this is BS and is a scam  because there is too much stuff your OS goes through in the entire process not to be valid.
    Saturday, May 20, 2006 4:25 PM
  • You wrote: 

which was brought from one of there retailers.

Can you be more specific about your installed copy of XP?  Did you buy XP in a pretty retail box in a retail store and then install it yourself on your computer?

Or, did you buy a systembuilder OEM copy of XP at a local computer store or on the internet and install it yourself?  If so, did the CD come with a Certificate of Authenticity and a User pamphlet?

Or, did the computer come from its source with XP already installed?  If so, is there a Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the computer chassis?

Have you ever taken the computer to a shop for repair?  Has a friend ever helped you to fix or reinstall XP by inserting a CD?

All of these bear on the problem.

Saturday, May 20, 2006 5:22 PM
  • it was a retail store and has all the doc's to show it's geniue and I installed it myself. Also I am a Microsoft technician as well..
    Saturday, May 20, 2006 7:21 PM
  • "then some updates installed but didn't say what they were "

Yet you claimed to be a Microsoft Technician in a further post...

Anyone with any kind of relevant computer experience knows that fully automated updates tend to be a bad move, they leave you open to security risks (such at the updater being hijacked or spoofed) and generally can affect performance of both your machine and your internet connection when doing things which have a high priority and need plenty of resources.

If you have it set up correctly Windows notifies you when there are updates available, you can then check what it wants to give you and download and install them at a time of your convenience.

If you had simply done this you would have known fine well what you were downloading.
    Sunday, May 21, 2006 4:06 AM
  • I think I might have worded the last statement wrong. Yes, I agree with what your saying. Even though its bad to download things unattended then why does microsoft recommend to do. for their updates. Any way every update is not specific either on what it is or includes for what ever purpose. I have been in the computer industry for over 25 years.
    Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:08 AM
  • You could have purchased a pirate copy at a retail store.

Did you purchase a retail copy (the COA is affixed to a pretty Microsoft box and it does not have the Product key on it), or a systembuilder OEM copy, which would have come with a separate COA sticker intended to be affixed to the computer chassis and does have the Product Key on it?

Monday, May 22, 2006 6:15 PM
  • Yes the One I bought included the CD key with it and it was a systems builders OEM..... Didn't have a tag to affixed to a computer chassis.
    Monday, May 22, 2006 7:53 PM
  • The systembuilder OEM CD you received should have been accompanied by a User Pamphlet and a Certificate of Authenticity.  The link below will show you the current one (yellow) and immediate past one (green).

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Did you get a genuine systembuilder OEM CD?

If you got a genuine CD but no COA, then the reseller might have double-dipped, getting two sales on one Product Key.

Monday, May 22, 2006 10:27 PM
  • Yeah I would love to know what is happening too. the exact same thing happend to me and now what do you do??
    Monday, May 22, 2006 10:59 PM
  • I guess we are at the hands of microsoft.....
    Monday, May 22, 2006 11:51 PM
  • ok now what if that is the case.
    Monday, May 22, 2006 11:53 PM
  •  kgm32 wrote:
     Concerned wrote:

I can't see that option I'm afraid and would really like to get rid of this rubbish.  Plus the deft message that comes on when it boots up!

Isobel

Thursday, May 25, 2006 8:23 PM
  •  

I bought and paid for my copy of Windows XP Professional. However, you ridiculous update seems to think other wise. If you do not tell me how to get rid of this get genuine bull ***, I will call my local news station and anyone else who will listen that Microsoft is trying to rip off it's clients with bogus software that they can say is not genuine in order to cash in on people getting "genuine" Software.

You have 24 hours to send me the solution to get rid of this icon and all the other *** that goes with it. I have owned my computer for 4 years with the same software on it. I am offended by Microsoft's attempt to sabotage my computer and my wallet.

This is insolence it is beyond reprehensible. I suggest you fix this, as it will not even allow me to system restore. How fun will it be for me to tell the morning shows that Microsoft spams and spies their software for financial gain? What other explanation could you possible have? When I can show that I got my software from Dell when I purchased the computer. Therefore, it is impossible for it to be pirated. I own it and can do what I wish with it. Except sell it. So, you will fix this problem, or I will call the action reporter.

Have a nice day

Tamara Martin

I think it is sad that Microsoft is so threatened that they have to spam their own customers.

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-KP686-D8T7X-HDMQ8
    Windows Product Key Hash: qqt6kUxM7yW5toc+6+PHdNdh2os=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-645-2775716-23340
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: T7M7FW9
    ID: 43a65479-d9bd-4e47-9f3e-73411c5085fc
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>43a65479-d9bd-4e47-9f3e-73411c5085fc</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-HDMQ8</PKey><PID>55274-645-2775716-23340</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-823518204-746137067-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 8200               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A03</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20011207000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>EE10358F0184C04E</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results

Passed

Active scripting allowed

Passed

Display images enabled

Passed

Computer time and date correct

Passed

ActiveX enabled

Passed

ActiveX controls loading

Passed

ActiveX controls connect with Microsoft validation servers

Saturday, May 27, 2006 3:46 AM
  • Tami-Martin,

When your computer was shipped from Dell, it was properly licensed to run the Windows operating system that is described on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) affixed to the side, top, or back of your Dell Dimension 8200 desktop computer.  To familiarize you with what your COA should look like, follow this link:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx.  Yours should be rectangular, green and blue or blue, and have Dell printed on the COA.

However, the Windows XP that is installed on the computer at the moment is not the Windows XP that came with the computer.  The first line of the report says "Blocked VLK" which means the copy of XP now installed was a so-called "corporate copy" that uses a Volume Licensing Key (VLK).  This kind of XP installation is often done when you take the computer to be repaired and the poorly trained tech uses a pirate copy to reinstall XP on the computer.  Another common source for this type of installation is that the computer was once owned by a midsize-to-large organization (company, school, gov't, etc) that installed their special copy of XP on the computer, and then when they sold the computer, they forgot to remove it and replace it with the copy that came with the computer.  There might be other reason why a Volume Licensing Key version of XP Pro was installed on your computer.  Have you ever had to replace any major components such as the motherboard?

Could you please post back to tell us if the COA is for XP Home Edition or for XP Professional?

Once that information is available, a Microsoft rep will be able to address your situation.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 4:36 AM
  • I have a Dell Computer. Purchased directly from Dell, not a reseller! Windows has never been reinstalled in this computer and it has never been repaired. Could you please help me...TIA! I downloaded the tool you posted and here is what I get:

--------------------
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-PTW2H-VK6CX-TT738
    Windows Product Key Hash: tBpqr34cGh5l6O6s+p67m0l+X30=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-648-0846111-23171
    Download Center code: 4BR6VRC
    ID: a785994c-bf25-4e28-8acf-865576eb65ac
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.526.0.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Office Status: 114
    Office Diagnostics:

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Prompt

File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\licdll.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\crypt32.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\advapi32.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\setupapi.dll

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>a785994c-bf25-4e28-8acf-865576eb65ac</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-TT738</PKey><PID>55274-648-0846111-23171</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-854245398-1770027372-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 4600i              </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A07</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20031106000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>E9D83DE701848043</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57118</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Saturday, May 27, 2006 5:58 PM
  • Shoot,

Your computer currently has an installation of XP Pro that is the so-called "corporate" version.  This version of XP is generally not sold to individuals, rather to medium-large businesses, schools, gov'ts etc.  The Volume Licensing Key has been blocked because the original owner of the Key would have requested it because the Key might have been lost, stolen, or otherwise compromised.

The good news is that your Dell is most likely still licensed to run the original copy of XP that came with it.  Can you look at your Certificate of Authenticity on the side or back of the computer and tell us if it says Dell and if it says XP Home, Pro, or Media Center?

Your situation is very much like Tami-Martin's, go all the way to the third page of this thread to see.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 6:14 PM
  • Thanks for your quick reply! I thought this might take forever.

The C.O.A. on the computer says Windows Professional 1-2 CPU.

It says Dell and it has a key.

I am the original owner of this computer. I bought it with my Dell SMALL business account. (Not the medium, large business portion of the site...never even been to that section) I did not request any blocks on the ID ( I would not have even known such a thing was possible). So, perhaps they sometimes do this for small business computers without any request at all.

I read the post and answer for Tami-Martin:

This computer has never been repaired and has had no hardware except external things like a printer and monitor installed.

So, Dell obviously installed the operating system with this block on it. I am sure you will be hearing from a lot of Dell users who have a computer that is a few years old.

Could you please tell me what I need to do to remedy this? I want to keep receiving windows updates and I want the nag message to go away. Thanks very much for your kind attention.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 7:25 PM
  • Shoot,

The following link has a tool that MS developed for people in your situation:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

The tool will help you replace the blocked VLK key with the key that is on your genuine COA.  The tool also screens the important files in the operating sytem to make sure they have not been cracked and if they have it will download replacements from Windows Updates.  On the results, where is says File Mismatch, these are suspected cracked files.

Given that this could be a significant change to your computer, personally I would do the following before I ran it, especially on a computer used for business purposes that might have vital business or client information on it:

1.  Backup all data.

2.  Defrag the hard disk

3.  If you suspect you have any malware infestations, run your antivirus and antispyware scanners, or run the online equivalent.  Fix whatever turns up before proceeding.

4.  Restart the computer.

5.  Turn off any realtime antispyware or antivirus scanning.

6.  Finally, run the tool.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 9:53 PM
  • Alec, you are right on!   Bill is worth billions, not millions as someone else stated, but one must be fair - he is giving a few bucks to charity!   It is indecent to be so greedy that enough is never enough!    Years ago a student commented in another forum that if games producers were to reduce their prices to a decent level he could afford to buy the game instead of copying one from his mates.   How true is this of Windows?   Of course, Microsoft will argue that it is spending a lot of money on R&D.   Considering the unchanged and unchanging disaster being pushed out as Windows one wonders why they bother!   Sack all the so-called R&D experts and use the money to reduce the price.   We are, as one might say, a captive audience to a man's incessant and unlimited greed!   Greed is a disease, suffered by the Murdochs, the Packers, the Bonds et al and the only cure is rigor mortis - but - can we wait that long for Bill to do the right thing?
    Amazing how so many copies of Bill's Buggerup have been found to be "illegal" after so much time!
    Sunday, May 28, 2006 5:38 AM
  • Dan I would like to thank you for your great help!

I would also like to say that where given a choice, forever and ever I will choose anything but Microsoft.

I have a genuine Windows OS yet I will have to:

A) Hire someone to do the above, or

B) Spend hours trying to back things up to disks, or

C) Purchase an large external drive.

Not only can I not afford a convenient external drive or to hire someone, this wastes hours of my time when I have already paid for this legitimate program.

And also by the way...I am BUSY!

I have to prepare a photostory slide show for a graduation party! But, guess what?

The program from Walmart won't install because my windows is not validated!!!!!

So, although I am burning the candle at both ends, Microsoft sees fit to punish valuable, legitimate customers in order to catch some cheaters.

A company that puts its own benefit ahead of that of its customers just doesn't sit right with anyone. Compared to what Microsoft loses from fraudulent windows users, I in my smaller way am losing much more, in money, time and above all eles STRESS!!!!!!

I can only hope there will be a class action lawsuit of which I can be a part.

But, I do thank you personally for your time.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 2:54 PM
  • Shoot,

It is highly unlikely but not impossible that you computer came from Dell with the wrong operating system installed.  The only thing that I can think of is that if you bought the computer from the Dell Outlet store, the computer could have been shipped to someone, shipped back on a return, and then shipped to you without being properly checked by Dell personnel.  If it came from Dell this way it is not Microsoft's fault, it is Dell's fault.

It is much more likely that the wrong operating system was installed after you received the computer.  If at any time the computer was serviced by any technician, or if friends, relatives, children, or others ever reinstalled the OS using a counterfeit copy of XP, that would explain how it came to be this way.

It concerns me that you say this computer is being used for business purposes, but you do not seem to be doing any backing up.  IME this is the number one cause of computer-related stress---if you are stressed out now, just imagine how distraught you would be if the hard disk fried itself, or a virus got in a deleted the contents of the hard disk, or if you came back from the party you mentioned to find you house broken into and the computer gone.  It would take weeks to recreate your business documents and data, not to mention any irreplaceable digital family photos, email, your home financial data if you are using Money or Quicken, etc.

The sad part about not backing up is that there are so many great new ways to back up and recover in case of a disaster.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:19 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Shoot,

It is highly unlikely but not impossible that you computer came from Dell with the wrong operating system installed.  The only thing that I can think of is that if you bought the computer from the Dell Outlet store, the computer could have been shipped to someone, shipped back on a return, and then shipped to you without being properly checked by Dell personnel.  If it came from Dell this way it is not Microsoft's fault, it is Dell's fault. 

Sorry, I'm in the same situtation and it IS MS's fault. Microsoft have screwed up my laptop - not Dell. It's pretty negilgent of MS not to investigate a likely problem with one of the biggest PC manufacter's isn't it?

If your car was damaged by the garage when you had it serviced, would you expect to fix it yourself?

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:24 PM
  • Fred123....

So if you go to the deli counter and order a pound of American cheese and when you get home you find that you were given a pound of Swiss cheese instead, is it the fault of the guy at the deli counter or the dairy that produced the cheese?  Using your logic, you'd blame the dairy.

Now that we have that straightened out, what's wrong with your laptop?

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 7:40 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Fred123....

So if you go to the deli counter and order a pound of American cheese and when you get home you find that you were given a pound of Swiss cheese instead, is it the fault of the guy at the deli counter or the dairy that produced the cheese?  Using your logic, you'd blame the dairy.

Now that we have that straightened out, what's wrong with your laptop?

Dan,

Very poor logic and comparison, I'm afraid. The one I think you are trying to make is:

You go to the deli counter and order a pound of American cheese and when you get home you eat some of the cheese. You are happy with the cheese. In the night, the dairy sneaks into your house and contaminates your cheese. And then tries to sell you replacement cheese.

The problem with my laptop is this:

1) It has been identified as a valid key by Dell AND Microsoft. Small business account, genuine Key (OEM SLP). Been thru all the tests with MS.

2) It still comes up as "Counterfeit.." (yes, I've been thru all the diagnostics & tests, deleting data.dat files etc)

3) MS and Dell have advised re-installing Windows. Dell have told me that "It's not an uncommon problem with WGA"

4) MS have suggested "buying another key" as this "may be cheaper than a support call" and "may save you the hassle of re-installing Windows"

Normally I'd do just that as it would be cheaper and easier.

So what would you advise, Dan?

Fred

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:33 AM
  •  Tami-Martin wrote:

I bought and paid for my copy of Windows XP Professional. However, you ridiculous update seems to think other wise. If you do not tell me how to get rid of this get genuine bull ***, I will call my local news station and anyone else who will listen that Microsoft is trying to rip off it's clients with bogus software that they can say is not genuine in order to cash in on people getting "genuine" Software.

You have 24 hours to send me the solution to get rid of this icon and all the other *** that goes with it. I have owned my computer for 4 years with the same software on it. I am offended by Microsoft's attempt to sabotage my computer and my wallet.

This is insolence it is beyond reprehensible. I suggest you fix this, as it will not even allow me to system restore. How fun will it be for me to tell the morning shows that Microsoft spams and spies their software for financial gain? What other explanation could you possible have? When I can show that I got my software from Dell when I purchased the computer. Therefore, it is impossible for it to be pirated. I own it and can do what I wish with it. Except sell it. So, you will fix this problem, or I will call the action reporter.

Have a nice day

Tamara Martin

I think it is sad that Microsoft is so threatened that they have to spam their own customers.

Tamara:

Unfortunately, our team cannot, and is not legally allowed your posting.. I suggest creating a WGA service request where we can escalate to our legal advisory council for further action if needed.

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:18 PM
  • I am so sick and tired of this pop up now.

I have a Toshiba laptop that came with all the trimmings and I have my little sticker on top of it and the one on the bottom, the key the whole kit and caboodle but Microsoft have decided to install an annoying thing on my computer.

I feel victimised, harrassed, hijacked and I am thoroughly fed up to the back teeth with all of this.

I want Microsoft to take this darn thing off, I am very annoyed.

I do not know how to do all the things you tell me to to get rid of it, I don't have the money to employ anyone to do it.

I for definate will never after this use Microsoft again as an operating system. I am awaiting news of what else is available if this is not removed.

If you put it on remotely you should be able to take it off.

I have worked all my life and now that I am disabled my only outlet is my computer to family and friends around the country and what was once a pleasant thing to do is now just not on.

Nothing has worked right since you invaded my computer and I agree it is as bad as receiving spam when it constantly pops up.

Will someone please tell me what to do about it.

Thursday, June 8, 2006 1:44 PM
  • Concerned,

The thread we are in is an old thread which has many posts and is getting clumsy to monitor.  My advice would be to start a new thread in the other forum, the one dedicated to fixing problems, at this link:  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25

Step 1 is to download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a new message in the above linked thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  In your case it should read "Toshiba."

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thursday, June 8, 2006 3:49 PM
  • Fred123...

My apologies, I did not notice your post until just now.

I think my analogy stands for Shoot1st's situation.

Of course my analogy does not apply to your situation because you have only told me the situation in the post I am now responding to.

Your say your XP installation is genuine, so I have to assume that is the case since you have not posted the output of the diagnostic tool.  Operating under that assumption, then it is clear that yours is a technical problem rather than a basic "wrong installation of XP for the computer" problem.

In your case I think your best option is to submit a free online email tech support case at this link:  http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?Gprid=9860  They are more likely to be able to help with one-on-one direct support.  Unless the problem is a very simple one, forums like these are not effective for delivering tech support.

Thursday, June 8, 2006 3:56 PM
  • I think and feel this is all a ploy for Microsoft to make more money. I also brought my computer with everything preinstalled and have used it for several years without a hitch until now and this new WGA bullshit. Makes ya feel that nothings safe and yes I am dam mad about this too. I even took it back to the place to have this issue correct, which they said they would, but let me tell you what a joke cause I still get the same deal all over again, So I recently spoke with my attorney and said I could sue because my rights and privacy was violated. Which I am strongly considering at this time.
    Thursday, June 8, 2006 7:43 PM
  •  Concerned wrote:

I have that icon in my toolbar as well and right clicking I don't get ANY option to stop the notifications as the response to this past post wrote.

MS tagged my computer upon last update and everytime I reboot I get the you may have been a victim of counterfeiting, and this annoying bubble that shows up and blips onto the screen periodically. I do believe this is a form of hacking that MS put onto my pc upon the last critical update and NOW I can't get rid of it at all. I went to add/remove and the update can't be removed either.  I have more then one computer and shared the XP disc that is installed on this one as my other one crashed and now I am being told it's counterfeit.

I am living on ssd and am disabled with Multiple Sclerosis and can't afford 149.00 for their version of 'GENUINE"

HOW do I get rid of this??

There is a change notifications on the bubble when I right click but it then takes me to the microsoft window that says that this action can't be carried out and I get the get the genuine version thing again.

HELP!

LISA

PS: just a note, I've had this in my computer for I think 2 years now, have always installed all of the microsoft updates and until last week all was fine! Now it's saying that I have a counterfeit version of XP.

Thursday, June 8, 2006 9:47 PM
  • Concerned:

Please run the diagnostics tool (step 1) and provide its output. That will better help us to determine the next steps.

Friday, June 9, 2006 5:18 AM
  •  I'm having the same problen with my XP and Dell.

I don't know what to do

Friday, June 9, 2006 5:34 PM
  • Bcon,

The thread we are in is an old thread which has many posts and is getting clumsy to monitor.  My advice would be to start a new thread in the other forum, the one dedicated to fixing problems, at this link:  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25

Step 1 is to download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a new message in the above linked thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or in the materials that came with the computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  In your case it should read "Dell."

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

You may have technical problems that are causing the "software counterfeiting" messages.  The diagnostic toll will show us the problems.

Friday, June 9, 2006 5:42 PM
  • I don't know about everybody else, but I'm feeling as though we should let this Dan guy have some private time with Microsoft!  Who are you and why do we have to keep reading your bum kissing... Actually, don't answer that.  But answer this, would you like a tissue to wipe that brown stuff off your nose?  You make me sick bro.  If you want a job with them, just apply!  I'm sure I'm not the only one sick of reading your "teacher's pet" comments.

Friday, June 9, 2006 5:43 PM
  • Chill Out,

Home from school early today?

Friday, June 9, 2006 5:48 PM
  • Maybe, why do you make reference to school... is there a bully you want to talk to us about?  I know when I went to school the teacher's pets used to get beat up.

What's your story, don't have a real job?  Microsoft might hire you, keep up your most insightful comments.  I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to read the pure intelligence you spew.

I love how you resonded in 5 minutes.

MICROSOFT - maybe you should hire this guy, he's prompt and obviously very smart!  I think he likes your products too.

Friday, June 9, 2006 5:55 PM
  •  Chill out wrote:

this guy, he's prompt and obviously very smart!  I think he likes your products too.

Chill Out,

How can I get into a flame war with someone who compliments me?

Thank You and have a nice day.

Friday, June 9, 2006 6:14 PM
  • Anytime, my pleasure.

Have a great weekend!

http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/b/brown_nosers.asp

Keep up the good work!

Friday, June 9, 2006 6:17 PM
  •  Chill out wrote:

Anytime, my pleasure.

Have a great weekend!

Keep up the good work!

Thank You!

Saturday, June 10, 2006 3:11 PM
  • Hi I ran that thing to copy to the clip board and have no idea what I'm supposed to do with the information. The Key code is there but the first 10 digits are displayed as *'s , what am I supposed to compare and how do I fix this problem with the validation, This program is not a counterfeit and I have this stupid pop up that won't go away.

Thank you LIsa

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:22 AM
  • Dear Phil,

Here is the copy to my clipboard and what it says: Now what do I do?

--------------------

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-DY9FX-C6FXG-R72RT

Windows Product Key Hash: p9TMxFFO0tHeYqlNK1zFnkjRBa0=

Windows Product ID: 55274-646-9147304-23058

Download Center code: Expired code.

ID: 6cdac8ca-fc47-426a-a6ab-a7797e64299a

WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0.

Validation Diagnostic:

Office Status: 114

Office Diagnostics:

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE; Win32)

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>6cdac8ca-fc47-426a-a6ab-a7797e64299a</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-R72RT</PKey><PID>55274-646-9147304-23058</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1993962763-839522115-842925246</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>IBM</Manufacturer><Model>6892N9U</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>IBM</Manufacturer><Version>NVKT49AUS</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="1"/><Date>19991018000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>318736A701840059</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>    <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57790</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:30 AM
  • Lbfightsms,

Right now, your IBM computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 6), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 1).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

More bad news is that your installation of Office Professsional 2003 is NonGenuine.  (Office Status:  114=nongenuine)

Your next step is to look on the computer or in the materials supplied with the computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  In your case we would expect it to read "IBM."

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.msp

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 2:13 AM