windows Validation RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased my computer at Best Buy a few years ago and it had Windows XP.  I have my PC automatically update with Windows every night and have never had a problem until now.  My PC Windows has failed the Validation and now has a ballon stated your Windows may be conterfit.  How do I resolve this issue/
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:58 AM

Answers

• Hello all,

I can only troubleshoot one issue per thread and I am unable to troubleshoot any of your issues without a MGA Diagnostic Report.

Please read the "-Please Read before you Post-" and the "Please run MGA Diagnostic before posting" Announcments at the top of the main XP Validation forum page (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/threads

Then create your own thead, post the Diagnostic Report and a description of the issue and one of the MVPs (that donate their time to helping other users, in this forum) or myself, will troubleshoot the issue as soon as we can.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:08 PM

All replies

• I am in a similar situation. I purchased a computer that came with a Windows software package for which I paid. Now my copy of Windows is suddenly crippled and I am being told I fail to pass some kind of validation.

It doesn't help to say so, I but I just  have to tell you this is an outrage. I've never cheated on software, and I feel betrayed by Microsoft. I have paid for your software over and over and over. This is a new low in customer service.

Now . . . how do I get my software to function normally again?
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:09 AM
  • Ditto. Have had no problems with XP Pro, updates regularly, was using the PC yesterday and today - validation issues. What is going on?
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:03 AM
  • My case is slightly different, but the result is the same.

I'm working with an HP DV5-1253CL that shipped with Vista installed.  I need to have Windows XP for application compatibility, so I found a retailer who still had sealed retail copies of XP Professional, Service Pack 2 and bought two, one for the subject laptop, and one for a machine yet to be purchased.

Because of the disk drive driver issue, my first attempt to install failed on the blue screen of death.  Known problem to the forum.

Slipstreamed the driver into a copy of the original XP disk and installed without a problem. 

Loaded all the other drivers required to get things running without any hardware failures or conflicts reported.

Now comes Microsoft with Genuine Windows Advantage telling me that I may be the victim of pirated software.  Since Windows Genuine Advantage will not recognize the product key as legitimate, and I can't seem to get a live person on the phone at Microsoft, it begins to look like my only choice is to pay Microsoft for the software all over again.

I've looked at the labels on the box, the product license tag, and the the install disk and all look like the examples to me.

Has anyone solved this problem with GWA not recognizing the product key?

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:39 PM
  • Hello all,

I can only troubleshoot one issue per thread and I am unable to troubleshoot any of your issues without a MGA Diagnostic Report.

Please read the "-Please Read before you Post-" and the "Please run MGA Diagnostic before posting" Announcments at the top of the main XP Validation forum page (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/threads

Then create your own thead, post the Diagnostic Report and a description of the issue and one of the MVPs (that donate their time to helping other users, in this forum) or myself, will troubleshoot the issue as soon as we can.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:08 PM