Please check my build config RRS feed

Answers

• DE is Drive Extender, which allowed you to easily add additional drives to extend a storage pool which WHS automatically managed - it's not available in WHS 2011. WHS 2011 supports 2TB disks (as does WHS1) but you have to manage your storage space manually.

I assume it's a hardware limitation that does not support 2TB drives? The system you propose will be fine for WHS2011 and its successor. Read here for more info on WHS 2011:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff357696

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by part_deux Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:28 AM
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:10 AM

All replies

• Why do you think WHS2011 without DE will help your situation? Your hardware specification is way over the top for a WHS build!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 10:31 PM
  • you'll have to help me, what's a DE?

I'm out of space, and my existing unit will not take a 2T drive.  Bios refuses to update, even if that would solve the problem, and I can not add any more SATA cards to the board, no more slots.  Only option is USB drives.

I spec'd out a system that will hopefully run for a decade without doing anything more than adding more drives.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 11:15 PM
  • DE is Drive Extender, which allowed you to easily add additional drives to extend a storage pool which WHS automatically managed - it's not available in WHS 2011. WHS 2011 supports 2TB disks (as does WHS1) but you have to manage your storage space manually.

I assume it's a hardware limitation that does not support 2TB drives? The system you propose will be fine for WHS2011 and its successor. Read here for more info on WHS 2011:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff357696

• Marked as answer by part_deux Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:28 AM
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:10 AM
  • Phil,

In reference to "...will be fine for WHS2011 and its successor."

What can you reveal about "its successor?"

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : DE is Drive Extender, which allowed you to easily add additional drives to extend a storage pool which WHS automatically managed - it's not available in WHS 2011. WHS 2011 supports 2TB disks (as does WHS1) but you have to manage your storage space manually.
    :
    : I assume it's a hardware limitation that does not support 2TB drives? The system you propose will be fine for WHS2011 and its successor. Read here for more info on WHS 2011:
    :
    : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff357696
    :
    :
    :
    : -- : Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    :

BullDawg
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:21 AM
  • yep, the MB and/or SATA cards do not support the 2T drives, and seeing how I'm out of slots to add cards, kinda in a tough spot.  I don't know if I could add a USB 2T drive and get it to work with my existing housing or a new housing.  Even going with a 1T USB drive seems kinda silly, I'm going to run out of space again.
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:28 AM
  • What can you reveal about "its successor?"

If he knows anything at all about a successor, he knows more than me. (Which I think unlikely.) So the answer would be "nothing substantive".

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:09 AM
  • Have you considered purchasing a SATA card that does support 2TB?  I use one with a Silicon Image 3124 chipset that has 4 SATA ports and another 3124 that has 2 SATA ports and 2 eSATA ports.  Each port also supports port multiplier, so I have a couple or 4 bay external enclosures ( http://www.amazon.com/ProBox-Drive-Enclosure-3-5-inch-drive/dp/B002UUPWP6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336889341&sr=8-2 ) connected to the eSATA ports on the second card.  The cards I have are PCI, so they should fit your old motherboard.  The cards can be found at
    http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SATA-RAID-Controller-SY-PCI40010/dp/B002R0DZZ8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336889651&sr=1-2 for the 4 port and http://www.amazon.com/SD-PCXSA2-2E2R-INTERNAL-softRAID-SILICON-SIL3124/dp/B007WLRH0G/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336889651&sr=1-4 for the 2+2.  Both cards are RAID but I reflashed both cards to the non-raid BIOS and then used the latest Silicon Image Satalink driver.  See this link for more info http://www.siliconimage.com/support/faq.aspx#q3

Please note that I have used Amazon links, but the cards are available from most vendors.  Use the one of your choice.  They are available at Microcenter, but at higher prices.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : yep, the MB and/or SATA cards do not support the 2T drives, and seeing how I'm out of slots to add cards, kinda in a tough spot. I don't know if I could add a USB 2T drive and get it to work with my existing housing or a new housing. Even going with a 1T USB drive seems kinda silly, I'm going to run out of space again.
    :

BullDawg
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 6:31 AM
  • Phil,

In reference to "...will be fine for WHS2011 and its successor."

What can you reveal about "its successor?"

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Absolutely nothing! Just the original poster mentioned keeping it running for a decade - thought I would be correct in saying there was likely to be a successor in that period.

Sunday, May 13, 2012 8:25 AM
  • I assume both of you knew I was on a "fishing expedition?"  :)

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : > In reference to "...will be fine for WHS2011 and its successor."
    : >
    : > What can you reveal about "its successor?"
    : > -- : > ____________
    : > BullDawg
    : > In God We Trust
    :
    :
    : Absolutely nothing! Just the original poster mentioned keeping it running for a decade - thought I would be correct in saying there was likely to be a successor in that period.
    :
    :
    :
    : -- : Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    :

BullDawg
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 9:03 AM
  • Bulldawg,

I've boxed myself into a corner with all the PCI slots taken up.  Also, the MB apparently won't accept the 2T drive, and it refuses a bios update.  Now, I may be able to force the bios update, but I may trash the board at the same time.  System is stable and operational, but with no easy way out. 

I'm not one to needlessly spend money, but think it's time :(

Funny story about fishing exhibitions.  I work in automotive, and automotive journalists are masters at fishing exhibitions.  I was provided some information about 2:00 in the afternoon, that the board of directors at the OEM heard and decided around 11am.  It was absolutely considered high level need to know secret info...  At 4:30 I was at my kids track meet, when a magazine senior editor came up to me looking for confirmation on the info.  I was dumbfounded that it had leaked out that quickly.  This wasn't even a fishing exhibition, he knew.  Of course I had to play dumb, but there was no way I could hide the shock on my face.

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:01 AM