Various error messages indicating backup service is not running, but it is. RRS feed

• Question

• ---------------------------

---------------------------
    The Windows Home Server Computer Backup service is not running. Please restart Windows Home Server. If the problem persists contact Product Support.
    OK   

This is the popup I get when I try to view files in a particular backup or perform a restore of any type.  For example, I select a PC in my list of backups, choose VIEW BACKUPS.  From the list of backups for this PC, I select a backup and choose the OPEN button from the Restore or View Files area.  This results in the above popup.

In trying to resolve this issue, I of course searched the forums here.  Didn't really find anything similar to mine from the perspective that the backup service is running fine, backups appear to happen on PCs as scheduled, taking an appropriate amount of time, alerting when they do not happen, etc.  Of course a backup is only as good as its ability to be restored so for me to say backups are happening is questionable I know.

I also followed the steps in the "How to troubleshoot the “Backup service is not running” error message in Windows Home Server" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946339) but stopped short of repairing the database which smokes all of the existing backups.

I've never seen any of the drives in any other state than Healthy and I don't have any removable drives in this system. 

Anyone have any ideas?  Most of the things I do result in the above popup but the service is running just fine.  No amount of reboots, updates, service recycles change the behavior.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 2:15 PM

All replies

• ---------------------------

The Windows Home Server Computer Backup service is not running. Please restart Windows Home Server. If the problem persists contact Product Support.
    OK   

This is the popup I get when I try to view files in a particular backup or perform a restore of any type.  For example, I select a PC in my list of backups, choose VIEW BACKUPS.  From the list of backups for this PC, I select a backup and choose the OPEN button from the Restore or View Files area.  This results in the above popup.

In trying to resolve this issue, I of course searched the forums here.  Didn't really find anything similar to mine from the perspective that the backup service is running fine, backups appear to happen on PCs as scheduled, taking an appropriate amount of time, alerting when they do not happen, etc.  Of course a backup is only as good as its ability to be restored so for me to say backups are happening is questionable I know.

I also followed the steps in the "How to troubleshoot the “Backup service is not running” error message in Windows Home Server" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946339) but stopped short of repairing the database which smokes all of the existing backups.

I've never seen any of the drives in any other state than Healthy and I don't have any removable drives in this system. 

Anyone have any ideas?  Most of the things I do result in the above popup but the service is running just fine.  No amount of reboots, updates, service recycles change the behavior.

Does the Console show Healthy (green status icon), even when the error message pops up?  Can you logon to the server desktop and verify the service is running (right click on My Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services > Windows Home Server Computer Backup)?  It should say Started.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Does the Console show Healthy (green status icon), even when the error message pops up?  Can you logon to the server desktop and verify the service is running (right click on My Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services > Windows Home Server Computer Backup)?  It should say Started.
    If I understand the question correctly, the console status icon is red due to various laptops being on the road with family and not backed up recently. If I choose to, I can ignore those backup statuses and the status will be green/healthy.

The "Windows Home Server Computer Backup" service (whsbackup.exe) is definitely running - this is the service that I usually look at and restart when there is any question. I've never seen it in a stopped state unless I did it myself. 

The HomeService event logs look good, no warnings or errors to note.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:45 AM
  • I guess you tried opening backups from different clients? If not please do! Also make sure your server and clients are up to date (Windows Update).  If this doesn't help:

First to make sure there are no disk problems run chkdsk on all partitions of your homeserver as described in How to check all the drives in your server for errors.

If that doesn't fix it I think your only option is to run Repair Database. Even though it may destroy all of your current backups this is your best option since the backups can not be opened anyway.

Alternatively you could try this guide on fixing database problems I wrote a long time ago.

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:56 AM
  • Sheesh.  A brand new installation ... only been running a couple months.  Everything pretty much flawless - event logs clean and no other symptoms.  I have run chkdsk in the past without any findings but I will check out the specific link you supplied.

I'm going to have to shell out the $$$ to open a case with Microsoft - irreplaceable information I trusted to Windows Home Server, hopefully PSS can do something with it.  I've since started a file-level off site backup with Live Sync but WHS sure let me down this time.  Worked fine as I implemented and tested - now none of the backups can be viewed from any of the clients.

Thanks for the help everyone ... what a shame.  
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:04 AM