TD Waterhouse OFX files not importing any data RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all.

I've been using MS Money successfully with TD Waterhouse (Canada) for a while now. 

Recently, TD Waterhouse changed their "look and feel" and subsequently, OFX file downloads no longer seem to update MS Money.

I poked around the OFX files with a text editor and note that they don't seem to contain any data. Files from other institutions have a lot more data contained in them.

Would I be correct that this is a problem on Waterhouse's end of things and not MS Money?

Has anyone else experienced this?

EDIT - FYI, I've sent a note to TD about this. Hopefully they'll get it fixed.
    • Edited by CJOttawa Friday, January 11, 2013 3:22 AM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:15 PM

Answers

• FYI: the OFX downloads from TD Waterhouse are working again. I haven't had any follow up from TD Waterhouse but the files now contain transaction data.

• Marked as answer by CJOttawa Sunday, February 3, 2013 2:42 AM
    Sunday, February 3, 2013 2:42 AM

All replies

• Please tell us more. Is this brokerage or bank account?

Is this direct download, or do you go through a website?

From your description, I am suspecting broker and website.  TD Waterhouse sold its US broker operation to Ameritrade. You get the file, and read (to an extent) it in a text editor. Congratulations on that! Good initiative. To make "reading" it easier, you might try renaming the incoming file something.xml
    Then open something.xml in IE. It will be a bit prettier.... it's probably not going to tell you something that you don't already suspect. But anyway, with your description, I can't see the problem not being that TD is not getting the transactions into the OFX file.

Friday, January 11, 2013 5:31 PM
  • Hey Cal!

Your suspicions are correct - this is through the online brokerage side of the business and the download is from the website.

I think you're right - TD has to be dropping the data. The file contents - even of properly populated OFX files from other institutions - are full of easy to interpret data. This has proper headers and footers but not much in between.

I did a bit more poking around the web and note there were problems in the past when TD Ameritrade updated their website format.

I'll report back when I hear from TD again.

EDIT - here's a link to the TD Ameritrade issue from the past: 

http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.money/problems-downloading-transactions-from/298770

• Edited by CJOttawa Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:56 AM
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:20 AM
  • FYI: the OFX downloads from TD Waterhouse are working again. I haven't had any follow up from TD Waterhouse but the files now contain transaction data.

• Marked as answer by CJOttawa Sunday, February 3, 2013 2:42 AM
    Sunday, February 3, 2013 2:42 AM
  • If you can get a hold of the CSV or QIF file(s), you can convert them to OFX using iCreateOFX Investment
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:34 PM