none
Optimum RAM for WHS in a home media streaming enviroment RRS feed

• Question

• Im running RC1 and am happy with my components with the exception of realistic RAM requirements.

I have 5 client PC's attached, 3 of them media centres. I have part gigabit LAN and part 85mbps powerlines

I have large music and video libraries on the WHS and many shares across the PC's

I currently have 1gb DDR2 667 in the WHS and do get some stuttering whilst streaming.

Although it is a bit of a 'needle in a haystack issue' what in other people's experience is an optimum memory provision in a similar enviroment?

Monday, June 25, 2007 3:51 PM

All replies

• ive got an old celeron 800mhz with 512mb sdram with WHS on a 120gb ide and it streams films n music fine wirelessly to my xbox 360 & vista laptop, what about the pc's it streaming to rather than the server??
    Monday, June 25, 2007 5:00 PM
  • The lowest spec media centre utilising WHS is a P4 2.8ghz with 1gb DDR3200.

Problems more likely to occur if two of the clients are streaming media from WHS at the same time. No real pattern as can happen on video, music or recorded TV. Saw somewhere there were issues with gigabit LAN and switches. RAM load on the Task manager is indicating less than 70% of actual RAM.

Monday, June 25, 2007 5:17 PM
  • While memory is important, in the multiple streaming scenario, I would focus your attention to disk IO capabilities.

In most consumer hardware, this is the problem area. I picked up a used HP server with 1 gb of ram, 1 ghz, and most importantly installed RAID, and multi-stream very effectively. Regular hard disks over a standard ata bus do not have the throughput capabilities you may need. Consider higher speed disks (7200 rpm+), and raid.

Dan Manrique

Microsoft Consulting Services

Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:42 PM
  • Sometimes there is studering on my sons PC when he is streaming video from the WHS. But it is only when the WHS is balancing the storage!
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 5:43 PM