WMP11 Deployment in Enterprise Environments. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We currently use HP OVCM to deploy our software across 20,000+ devices and used the Media Player Enterprise Deployment Pack to package WMP11 as an MSI... while testing the deployment of Windows Media Player 11, we found that on some machines the dialog box to validate the copy of Windows would appear, while on others it would not. I was hoping to find out if there is a way of allowing this check to be either disabled, or processed in the background via the WGATray or similar to make sure the user does not get this dialog during the installation, or during first run of WMP11.

As mentioned, during testing on a  number of machines, some did not actually prompt for validation during install or operation of the program which tends to imply that if the current version of Windows has been validated previously, then this extra step isnt required... if this is the case, then a method of ensuring validation prior to the release of WMP11 (or other WGA protected software) would be appreciated. Test machines producing the Validation dialog had the KB905474 patch installed, and validated successfully through http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and the MGA Diagnostic Tool.

Regards

Ambian
    Friday, January 12, 2007 1:09 AM

Answers

• AMbian:

Correct, during silent (/q) installation, no validation is performed in any way. It is only done during first use and has a special dialogue box for it.

I hope thsi helps!

-phil

Monday, January 15, 2007 8:53 PM
  • The requirement to have informed consent dialogues have been a pushed requirement from security and privacy advocates from both the end-customers as well as internal business requirements.

The WMP11 program requires running through the entire "installation" experience (well, first-run, such as setting up file associations, etc), not just WGA Validation.

-phil

Monday, January 22, 2007 11:38 PM
  • Modification of the WGA binary files by the "user community" is not supported - as it may have been modified code to the point where our developers can no longer work with the code (or the code may have been modified and been made malicious).

The WGA Dialogue box in WMP11 is a simple "Validate" button (much like "Express" installation options). The specific actions you're asking about (such as skipping the installer experience with default settings) is something that should be inquiried through your Microsoft Account Manager (through your IT dept) for WMP11 for the special administration toolkit.   :)

Don't worry. We go at great lengths as well to ensure we encapsulate the large majority of our customer requirements - such as what you're looking for.

I hope this helps!

-phil

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:50 PM

All replies

• There is no way to disable or bypass the WGA Check in the WMP11 installation experience.

Validation is required upon first-run of the WMP11 experience. Are the machines failing? Can you describe the problem in more detail?

Previous validation on the PC doesn't determine the installation experience of Validation in WMP11, however. Are you talking about proxy authentication?

-phil

Friday, January 12, 2007 5:48 PM
  • >> Validation is required upon first-run of the WMP11 experience. <<

PMFJI - We deployed WMP11 thru WSUS. Users get greeted on their first WMP11 run by a validation screen, including computers where an admin ran WMP11 before anyone else.

Saturday, January 13, 2007 3:53 PM
  •  Phil Liu MSFT wrote:

Validation is required upon first-run of the WMP11 experience. Are the machines failing?

Previous validation on the PC doesn't determine the installation experience of Validation in WMP11, however.

-phil

No problem, No failing ... I was just wondering if the WMP11 Validation was required on every machine as not all of our test machines are displaying the dialog during install or at first use. It appeared as if some machines had previously been 'validated' in such a way that WMP11 did not request anything further. It shouldn't be an issue if validation is required at first use, just as long as the dialog doesn't appear during the initial install (which it shouldn't during a silent install).

Regards, Ambian
    Monday, January 15, 2007 5:20 AM
  • AMbian:

Correct, during silent (/q) installation, no validation is performed in any way. It is only done during first use and has a special dialogue box for it.

I hope thsi helps!

-phil

Monday, January 15, 2007 8:53 PM

• Yes thats fine, thanks for the confirmation.

Regards

Ambian
    Monday, January 15, 2007 11:38 PM
  •  

Phil,

Don't take this the wrong way, but whose "bone-headed" idea was it to require users in an enterprise enviroment to run through the WGA  dialogs. This is going to cause hundreds of calls to our help desk. Our users are here to practice medicine and unfortunately not very computer savy.

I believe this is the first time I've encountered an installation that couldn't be made silent and quiet

I'm all in favor of validating the software, just let us do it without involving the users unless there is a problem.

Thanks,

Mike

Monday, January 22, 2007 9:34 PM
  • The requirement to have informed consent dialogues have been a pushed requirement from security and privacy advocates from both the end-customers as well as internal business requirements.

The WMP11 program requires running through the entire "installation" experience (well, first-run, such as setting up file associations, etc), not just WGA Validation.

-phil

Monday, January 22, 2007 11:38 PM
  • Phil,

Administrators go to great lengths to ensure that our software installations are consistent across our enterprises. I don't want my users to be making decisions about file associations because the vast majority of them have no idea what a file association is!

I want the option of controlling the entire "installation" experience. When a Microsoft product installation pops a dialog box, it is our help desk phone that rings, not the phones at Microsoft.

Ensuring that software is properly licensed in an enterprise is the responsibility of the Windows Administrators. Give us the tools and we'll make things right. By taking control away from us and presenting screens to our users, Microsoft is forcing us to develop user experiences that we can live with. In some environments that may mean bypassing WGA or even not updating Microsoft products. Based on a quick check of Google it is obvious that there has been considerable efforts to defeat WGA by the user community. It would be nice if Microsoft would respond by giving us the functionality of WGA with the option of controlling what the user sees.

Thanks,

-Mike

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 3:55 PM
  • Modification of the WGA binary files by the "user community" is not supported - as it may have been modified code to the point where our developers can no longer work with the code (or the code may have been modified and been made malicious).

The WGA Dialogue box in WMP11 is a simple "Validate" button (much like "Express" installation options). The specific actions you're asking about (such as skipping the installer experience with default settings) is something that should be inquiried through your Microsoft Account Manager (through your IT dept) for WMP11 for the special administration toolkit.   :)

Don't worry. We go at great lengths as well to ensure we encapsulate the large majority of our customer requirements - such as what you're looking for.

I hope this helps!

-phil

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:50 PM
  • Thanks, Phil.

I am in the IT department and will discuss my needs with our Microsoft Account Manager.

-Mike

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 8:54 PM