WHS 2011 - Server backup won't start RRS feed

• Question

• Server backup on my WHS 2011 has failed completely.  I can't run a backup at all - when I tried to run it, I get the "preparing for backup" message for several hours.  I also can't run the "customize backup for this server" option either.  

The services are running and I have tried stopping & restarting the services with no effect.  Something must be corrupted but it isn't obvious.

Server backups were running OK before I tried to join my server to my Windows HomeGroup.  That process didn't work and so I removed the server from the homegroup.  That solved the issues I was having with the folder permissions but the server backup is still on the fritz.

Thanks for looking!

Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:10 PM

Answers

• On the assumption that Server backups were working and something to do with adding the Server to a Homegroup caused some sort of problem, why not try restoring the server back to a point when it was working?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:56 AM
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:18 PM
  • Ahh - that's that then! Not knowing what's screwed up, I would be inclined to do a re-install.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:01 PM

All replies

• On the assumption that Server backups were working and something to do with adding the Server to a Homegroup caused some sort of problem, why not try restoring the server back to a point when it was working?

Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:18 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  

That's an idea.  How would I do that?  Is that something I could do in the Dashboard or is that done in the OS itself?

Ken

Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:38 PM
  • So you have been backing up your Server but never tested that you can do a restore!! See here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/restore-from-server-backup-2.aspx

Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:46 PM
  • Phil - Ah, there's the rub.  I don't have a successful backup to restore from.  I used but I had to change out the external drive that I was using for backups because it went bad.  

So, trying to repair the problem or doing a reinstall seems to be my only options at this point.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:57 PM
  • Ahh - that's that then! Not knowing what's screwed up, I would be inclined to do a re-install.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:01 PM