none
70-519 question RRS feed

• Question

• Is it wise to pass 70-519 just after 70-515?

I was also wondering if there were any certifications related specifically to C# coding?

Although I am good on the dot net side, I realized I was very light on C# programming and felt stupid when I got a technical question about OO programming and could not answer.

I hate not knowing :)

Thanks!

Edit: this is for the 4.0 fw, of course.
    • Edited by AzNick Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:50 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You are correct that 70-515 tests your skills with a technology rather than a programming language. Microsoft does not have an exam geared directly towards a language. They are all related to job roles.

I saw you mentioned wanting to take the 70-519 exam. Just to give you a heads up, the 70-515 ( a MCTS level exam) will ask you questions about implementing features. For instance, how would you implement storing session state in SQL server.  The 70-519 exam will concentrate on choosing the correct technology stack for a given situation. For example, given a certain business scenario, which type of session state would you recommend.

With regards to your technical interview, you might want to take a look at some books.  I have a couple here at home that I found helpful. I am a trainer/consultant. I used these to help prepare for a couple of consulting gigs. These books help you deal with typical questions that you might get asked as a technical consultant:

http://www.amazon.com/Cracking-Coding-Interview-Fourth-Programming/dp/145157827X/ref=pd_sim_b_3

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Interviews-Exposed-Secrets-Programmer/dp/047012167X/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Good luck!

Mike Corkery, MCT, MCPD, MCTS, MCITP, MCAD, MCSD, etc.

Friday, January 27, 2012 10:36 PM

All replies

• There are no certifications specific to C#.  That said, all .Net certifications can be taken in VB.NET or C#.  You get to chose which language when you start an exam.

I see no problem with taking 70-519 just after 70-515

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:05 AM
  • The issue with 70-515 (which I am studying for right now), is that it is an asp.net certification. It does not really show if you are a good C# programmer.

I had a technical interview (I am a consultant) for a potential client and when the interviewer threw a few fastballs related to OO programming at me I failed to hit them.

Going back to studying this particular aspect of C# programming (unlike many, I did not transition from C++ but from classic ASP) to make sure I am very solid in this area.

Wish I could get this certified as well.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

You are correct that 70-515 tests your skills with a technology rather than a programming language. Microsoft does not have an exam geared directly towards a language. They are all related to job roles.

I saw you mentioned wanting to take the 70-519 exam. Just to give you a heads up, the 70-515 ( a MCTS level exam) will ask you questions about implementing features. For instance, how would you implement storing session state in SQL server.  The 70-519 exam will concentrate on choosing the correct technology stack for a given situation. For example, given a certain business scenario, which type of session state would you recommend.

With regards to your technical interview, you might want to take a look at some books.  I have a couple here at home that I found helpful. I am a trainer/consultant. I used these to help prepare for a couple of consulting gigs. These books help you deal with typical questions that you might get asked as a technical consultant:

http://www.amazon.com/Cracking-Coding-Interview-Fourth-Programming/dp/145157827X/ref=pd_sim_b_3

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Interviews-Exposed-Secrets-Programmer/dp/047012167X/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Good luck!

Mike Corkery, MCT, MCPD, MCTS, MCITP, MCAD, MCSD, etc.

Friday, January 27, 2012 10:36 PM