none
Problem with Git RRS feed

All replies

• Hi DavidThi88,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

How did you clone the Git Repository?

Do you use VS or Git commands to clone the Git Repository?

If you use VS to clone the Git Repository, what’s the version of VS?

Please provide more information about your situation, that could help us understanding your issue.

Based on the error message you provided, it may be an error in the git clone, please delete the folder and try again, or just delete the externals directory and revert and re update.

In addition, please try with command: “git clone --recurse-submodules”, it automatically pulls in the submodule data assuming you have already added the submodules to the parent project.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Judy ZhuY Wednesday, February 7, 2018 1:50 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by DavidThi808 Wednesday, February 7, 2018 2:25 AM
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:41 AM
  • I'm on VS 2015. I was able to get the repo using the Git command line so Git fine.  But VisualStudio has a bug of some kind on this.

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:20 PM
  • Hi DavidThi808,

Glad you could resolve the issue with git command. Please help to mark the reply as an answer if it helpful for you.

In addition, if the Visual Studio has similar issue, I suggest you could get advice on Stack Overflow and just add a tag with Git in your thread, and then you would get support from git members.

Usually, we discuss one issue in one thread and it can help us to trace and research your issue, thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 1:49 AM
  • However, the bug remains in Visual Studio. Please advise the Visual Studio team of the bug.

And I unmarked your replay as an answer because "Visual Studio doesn't work, use Git" doesn't answer my question.

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 2:26 AM
  • Hi DavidThi808,

What’s your Visual Studio version?

How did you use VS to clone the Git Repository?

I check in my side with Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 Update 3. In Team Explorer, after I connect TFS git team project, I click clone the repository under Solutions node, it open Clone Repository node. I enter the corresponding repository path, enable “Recursively Clone Submodules”, and click Clone button. It works fine.

I can find the corresponding repository in my computer.

Please refer to above steps to check in your environment.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 3:05 AM
  • Hi;

Your steps are similar to what I do. And in the past it has worked fine. But now for our repository it fails part way through.

- dave

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 3:12 PM
  • Hi DavidThi808,

What’s the version of your Visual Studio 2015?

As far as I know, Visual Studio 2015 update 1 is not able to check out submodules, neither on clone nor when switching branches. Please update your Visual Studio, switch branches or using git command.

And if the Visual Studio your used is support submodules, please make sure you were not commits inside a submodule from inside VS.

Reference links:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34656286/team-foundation-server-2015-git-submodule-cloning-in-visual-studio-2015

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/330519-visual-studio-team-services/suggestions/3606383-add-submodule-support-in-visual-studio-git-extensi

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, February 8, 2018 2:29 AM
  • Hi DavidThi808

How is it going with the issue currently?

If it persists, please share the latest details about your issue, I will help you solve the problem as much as possible.

Regards

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:36 AM
  • My present status is the bug still exists in VisualStudio and I use the Git command line tools.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 4:03 PM
  • Hi DavidThi808,

Thanks for your response.

I suggest you could check your issue use another Visual Studio.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:34 AM