Add a printer to Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• How Do I set up up a printer thru Windows Home Server
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:13 PM

All replies

• Using your server as a printer server isn't supported. Usually you can do so, but if the printer you want to connect to your server is an inexpensive consumer printer, there's a pretty good chance it won't work well, or possibly at all.

As for how you do it, you will need to log in to your server directly, install the printer driver, and then connect the printer. Assuming a consumer printer, don't try to install anything other than the printer driver; if possible get a "driver only" Windows Server 2003 download from your printer's manufacturer and use that. Then share the printer as you normally would.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 18, 2010 4:22 PM
  • I just set up my Canon MX-850 (which is a network printer with a wired LAN port) to be used as a network printer and it works to my full satisfaction.

* I can add the printer to any pc in my network through the 'add network printer' process,
    * I can send documents to the printer even though it is switched off. Once switched on it will process the spool requests,
    * I can print wirelessly from my laptops.

It took some fiddling with the ip-address and the port settings so that the server was actually able to see and communicate with the printer, then I took the printer upstairs to my office, hooked it up into the switch and added the required drivers onto my virtual machine. One restart later (the VM) the printer did its work, printing, scanning through the network.

So depending on whether YOU have a network printer or a printer that is suited for being connected to only one pc only at a time you might only achieve making it into a network printer by adding a separate printserver. These cost about half of a decent networkprinter.

A short google search whips this up: http://members.shaw.ca/nicholas.fong/printsrv/
    Might be helpful.

cheers, Peter
    I really like WHS and Windows 7!
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:12 PM