none
how to remove " other users" from welcome screen RRS feed

• Question

•  

hi

i like this program alot its really soo easy and helpfull

but i have noticed that the program will autoaticaly creat a new user in welcome screen called "other users "

what i'm asking is 'is there is any way to remove this _link_ from welcome screen ???  "

many thanxs for this program

Thursday, December 25, 2008 8:29 AM

Answers

•  

Hi goldenblackheart, I would like to inform you that Windows SteadyState adds a login tile named "Other User" so that you, the admin, have a way to log in as the built-in Administrator account when the Administrator account has been hidden from the login screen.  On XP, you could hit ctrl-alt-del twice to bring up the old style login prompt where you could type in Administrator and the password.  This feature was removed on Vista, so we needed a workaround to ensure that the admin could always log in.

Note that Windows SteadyState only adds this if the computer setting "Do not display user names in the 'Log On to Windows' dialog box " is disabled.

You can also check the following thread for information:

When switching users, "Other User" appears and is unremovable

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4218804&SiteID=17

Hope this helps!  

Friday, December 26, 2008 4:57 AM
  • To delete 'other user' account from welcome screen on a Vista PC, follow the steps below:

1. Log into administrator account.
    2. Run Steadystate.
    3. Uncheck all boxes in the first option. Click OK.
    4. Disable Disk Protection and reboot.
    5. Enable Disk Protection again.
    6. You are done.

Make sure you keep default cache file settings which is 50% of your available space on drive C:\. Do NOT change cache file size. If you do so, you'll have the phantom 'other user' button activated again. After a couple of reboots, you will no longer have the other user button on login screen. I tested this to work 100%.

IMHO this is apparently a bug. Microsoft doesn't want to admit this though.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:46 PM

All replies

•  

Hi goldenblackheart, I would like to inform you that Windows SteadyState adds a login tile named "Other User" so that you, the admin, have a way to log in as the built-in Administrator account when the Administrator account has been hidden from the login screen.  On XP, you could hit ctrl-alt-del twice to bring up the old style login prompt where you could type in Administrator and the password.  This feature was removed on Vista, so we needed a workaround to ensure that the admin could always log in.

Note that Windows SteadyState only adds this if the computer setting "Do not display user names in the 'Log On to Windows' dialog box " is disabled.

You can also check the following thread for information:

When switching users, "Other User" appears and is unremovable

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4218804&SiteID=17

Hope this helps!  

Friday, December 26, 2008 4:57 AM
  • To delete 'other user' account from welcome screen on a Vista PC, follow the steps below:

1. Log into administrator account.
    2. Run Steadystate.
    3. Uncheck all boxes in the first option. Click OK.
    4. Disable Disk Protection and reboot.
    5. Enable Disk Protection again.
    6. You are done.

Make sure you keep default cache file settings which is 50% of your available space on drive C:\. Do NOT change cache file size. If you do so, you'll have the phantom 'other user' button activated again. After a couple of reboots, you will no longer have the other user button on login screen. I tested this to work 100%.

IMHO this is apparently a bug. Microsoft doesn't want to admit this though.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:46 PM