Unsuccessful PC Backups on WHS2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded to WHS2011, i successfully ran backups on my main computer for the first few weeks.  I then moved my backup files on the server to a larger internal drive.  Since doing this I have not been able to successfully backup my main computer. 

Event Log from Main PC after unsuccessful backup

Backup of volume C: to SERVER2011 did not succeed. Reason: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.ProtocolException: ServerFailureSystem.String[]
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoWorking(PCBackupVolumePhase phase)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()   at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

I have run error checking on all drivers both on the computer and server and 0  errors found.  I have removed the computer from the server, uninstalled the connector software then reinstalled and tried to back up with no luck.  All services are running on both server and pc.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:45 PM

Answers

• Well after a few weeks for frustration I narrowed the problem down to a bad SATA cable.  I switched out the drive as chkdsk found quite a few bad sectors.  Have been running backups successfully for the past few days.
    • Marked as answer by alnn75 Monday, September 19, 2011 3:02 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:02 PM

All replies

• I too have the same issue with backups after running the recent WHS 2011 Update Roll-up any help would be apprecieted.

Thanks

Mark

Saturday, August 27, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Well after a few weeks for frustration I narrowed the problem down to a bad SATA cable.  I switched out the drive as chkdsk found quite a few bad sectors.  Have been running backups successfully for the past few days.
    • Marked as answer by alnn75 Monday, September 19, 2011 3:02 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:02 PM
  • If chkdsk found bad sectors, monitor the drive carefully for a while, or just assume it's going bad and replace it.

I recommend the latter course fo action, since even very large drives are pretty cheap these days. While it's possible that a single event caused the bad sectors and no further damage is occurring, that's an unlikely scenario; much more likely is that the drive will continue to degrade and you'll have to use chkdsk to repair errors repeatedly until the drive finally fails completely.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:32 PM
  • I am having a similar issue with the same error message. I am able to back up the server without any issue. I was able to back up my laptop the very first time. However I have never been able to back up my desk top and my laptop has failed every time since the initial backup. I ran check disk on both hard drives and no bad sectors are found. The services are running on both machines and the server. I changed them to automatic as found in another forum.
    • Edited by nlscpo2 Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:44 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:44 PM