Storage Pool....Drive Removal RRS feed

• Question

• Hello....I have a quick and probably obvious to answer question......

With 4x1TB HDD's in my MediaSmart Server, I have currently all 4 drives within the storage pool.  If I required to remove one of the drives from this pool, to for example use as a system backup drive, how do I know what data I would be removing from the Pool.  i.e. does the WHS fill each drive in the pool sequentially or is it distributed over all the HDD's.  I do not know what the algorithms would be to randomly place the data on different drives, it would seem illogical to do this [well to me, but I'm sure Ken Warren will come up with something to support this methodology of data storage].

Regards, Paul

Sunday, February 14, 2010 6:03 PM

Answers

• Nope, Ken won't. :) The algorithm is (of course) proprietary, but it favors placing files on the drive(s) that already have the most data on them. This tends over time to keep files in a particular share on the same drive(s).

As for removing a drive, you will need sufficient free space elsewhere in the storage pool to hold whatever data is currently on the drive you want to remove. However, I wouldn't recommend using an internal drive as a server backup drive; that pretty much defeats the purpose of backing up your server, which is to be able to survive even a major disaster. With an internal backup drive, you can't easily take a copy of your data off-site, which is something you can do with an external drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 6:41 PM

All replies

• Nope, Ken won't. :) The algorithm is (of course) proprietary, but it favors placing files on the drive(s) that already have the most data on them. This tends over time to keep files in a particular share on the same drive(s).

As for removing a drive, you will need sufficient free space elsewhere in the storage pool to hold whatever data is currently on the drive you want to remove. However, I wouldn't recommend using an internal drive as a server backup drive; that pretty much defeats the purpose of backing up your server, which is to be able to survive even a major disaster. With an internal backup drive, you can't easily take a copy of your data off-site, which is something you can do with an external drive.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Good Point....I will have to make arrangements to purchase an external drive.

Regards, Paul
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:06 PM
  • The MediaSmart has removable drive trays.  So with an extra drive tray, using one of the internal drive tray bays makes an ideal server backup solution.  One in the server and one stored off site.

Just don't use the bottom tray as that is the one that contains the system drive.

--

"Ken Warren" <=?utf-8?B?S2VuIFdhcnJlbg==?=> wrote in message news:7bb9da80-6f58-4d6 c-bdf9-8c8872bf7a21...
    Nope, Ken won't. :) The algorithm is (of course) proprietary, but it favors placing files on the drive(s) that already have the most data on them. This tends over time to keep files in a particular share on the same drive(s).

BullDawg
    Monday, February 15, 2010 12:29 AM
  • The MediaSmart has removable drive trays.  So with an extra drive tray, using one of the internal drive tray bays makes an ideal server backup solution.  One in the server and one stored off site.

Just don't use the bottom tray as that is the one that contains the system drive.
    Try it. :) You can't hot swap the internal drives, only hot plug them, so Windows Home Server won't respond quite the way one would want. To remove the internal backup drive you'll need to shut the server down.

Just use an external drive; it's easier and the drive is much better protected.

Monday, February 15, 2010 4:27 AM
  • Didn't know they weren't hot swappable.  Thanks for the info.  But as a matter of principle, I always shut down to swap out drives.  Even though they claim to be hot swappable, I don't trust it; I'm afraid I'll short something out with my two left thumbs..

--

"Ken Warren" <=?utf-8?B?S2VuIFdhcnJlbg==?=> wrote in message news:b978e16f-500b-4c1 a-b797-0b817c2d8a84...
    The MediaSmart has removable drive trays.  So with an extra drive tray, using one of the internal drive tray bays makes an ideal server backup solution.  One in the server and one stored off site.

Try it. :) You can't hot swap the internal drives, only hot plug them, so Windows Home Server won't respond quite the way one would want. To remove the internal backup drive you'll need to shut the server down.

Just use an external drive; it's easier and the drive is much better protected.

BullDawg
    Monday, February 15, 2010 2:55 PM