Cannot activate product key RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased the product in a retail store in the US.  I have read your posts about changing the language on my Explorer, it's already set to english. Everytime I click to activate my product key, it goes to the Live page.

Please help before this product has to be returned.

Thank you.

Monday, January 7, 2008 3:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• In which countries and languages is Windows Live OneCare available?

The Windows Live OneCare subscription service is available in the following countries and languages: Australia (English), Austria (German), Belgium (Dutch, French), Canada (English, French), France (French), Germany (German), Ireland (English), Italy (Italian), Japan (Japanese), Mexico (Spanish), Netherlands (Dutch), New Zealand (English), Singapore (English), Spain (Spanish), Switzerland (French, German), United Kingdom (English), United States (English, Spanish).

If you are not located in one of the above countries, you will not be able to activate a OneCare subscription. In what country are you physically located?

See this post regarding Activation redirecting you to a page where you cannot activate, but are presented with a view of available Windows Live Products instead -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1202298&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, January 7, 2008 7:19 PM
  • I am in the US, never been in another country.   Sorry, when I said I purchased it here, I meant that it's used here also since the only answer I've seen is to make sure the language is English.

Thank you,
    Christy

Monday, January 7, 2008 9:54 PM
  • Ah, okay then. When you say that you are being directed to the "live page" can you provide the URL or address? If you are directed to http://get.live.com, which is a page of various Windows Live products available, that would mean that OneCare is detecting your IP address and your IE language and finding that it is not matching. For a US IP address, the IE language would be English US.

When you begin the subscription/activation process, the first thing it does is bring you to a page to get a new LiveID or sign in with your existing LiveID. Since you have posted here, you have a LiveID. Are you presented with a page to get a LiveID? If so, there should also be a line of text that directs you to click if you already have a LiveID.

What you might want to try is to clear the IE temporary Internet files and cookies under Tools/Options and then close IE. Now try to activate. Sign in and proceed to entering your product key.

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 12:32 AM
  • Yes, it takes me to the get.live.com/activate.  I even pushed those buttons and downloaded everything it told me to.

I have deleted the cookies and temp files also.

It should be a US IP address, this computer has never been out of the US either.  Any other suggestions?

I used my live ID, then actually created a new one in case there was a conflict in computers.  So his Live ID was created on this PC also.  This is terribly frustrating, the program seems to be working great and we want to keep it!
    Thank you!

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 3:05 AM
  • I have the same problem, and do the same as you say in every post, the diffrence I live in Puerto Rico, Parts of the US, like Hawai

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 8:31 AM
  • Hi. Same problem. I bought this product more than 6 months ago in CompUSA (retail box) and have loosing a lot of time and effort in this issue. Like Franky00602, I live in Puerto RIco too.  What else can be done? Thanks...

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 12:16 PM
  • Javier and Franky,

Please contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

I alerted Microsoft that we're seeing lots of reports of this problem from people like you trying to activate OneCare in Puerto Rico. You should be able to activate with your IE language set to Spanish (Puerto Rico) and probably English (US).

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 8:06 PM
  •  Christii8 wrote:

Yes, it takes me to the get.live.com/activate.  I even pushed those buttons and downloaded everything it told me to.

I have deleted the cookies and temp files also.

It should be a US IP address, this computer has never been out of the US either.  Any other suggestions?

I used my live ID, then actually created a new one in case there was a conflict in computers.  So his Live ID was created on this PC also.  This is terribly frustrating, the program seems to be working great and we want to keep it!
    Thank you!

Can you open Internet Explorer and click on Tools, Internet Options, and then the Languages Button? What language is shown there as the first on the list (if more than one is listed). It should be English (United States).

If that is what the language is set to, please send me an email with "OneCare" in the subject line, and a link to this thread in the message body - sboots@mvps.org If it shows any other language for IE, change it to English (United States) and try activating once more.

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 8:10 PM
  • The language has always been on English - US for Internet Explorer.  We downloaded the IE 7 version.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 8:18 PM
  • Hi, I have a laptop, and I erase the hard disk complete, I installed a fresh copy of xp home edition,

I did the complete updates, when I finish all the download and installed them, I try to install the One Care, but

I still having the same problem of the redirect.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:46 PM
  •  Franky00602 wrote:

Hi, I have a laptop, and I erase the hard disk complete, I installed a fresh copy of xp home edition,

I did the complete updates, when I finish all the download and installed them, I try to install the One Care, but

I still having the same problem of the redirect.

Franky, the problem appears to be on the Microsoft side and it is being investigated for customers in Puerto Rico who are unable to activate and are being redirected to get.live.com despite having the correct language settings. I don't have any status on the problem other than it is indeed being investigated, having been escalated by support and by us from the forums.

-steve

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Hi, Ok the problem is Microsoft, but who are going to pay for my two soft, I bought from Office Max, I opened the two box thinking the disc maybe is damaged, Who are going to pay or refound ?

Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:56 AM
  • I bought my product in the UK before moving to Greece. If I cannot activate my product now I'm living here in Greece (there's nothing on the packaging to warn me!) then where do I go to chase a refund??

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:01 AM
  •  Ricardo0 wrote:

I bought my product in the UK before moving to Greece. If I cannot activate my product now I'm living here in Greece (there's nothing on the packaging to warn me!) then where do I go to chase a refund??

I don't know the retail refund process for the UK, so it may be best to contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Unfortunately, the unsupported workaround I've provided recently has been crippled as the web site for activating OneCare with a token has been taken down. You could have someone in the UK (or other country where OneCare is supported) activate OneCare for you and then uninstall OneCare from their PC. Once a subscription has been activated, additiona installs for that subscriptiondon't do the IP and IE language check.

-steve

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:01 PM