none
Note to users of Avast! v6 Anti-Virus RRS feed

• General discussion

• For the past few weeks, this forum has been seeing an increasing number of 'non-genuine' notifications with the diagnostic reading of
    Licensing Data-->
    C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs(291, 5) (null): 0xC004D401
    In almost all cases, this has been caused by the installation of Avast! v6

The only known solution currently is to uninstall Avast! completely, and run their removal tool as well, then validate the system again, and install an alternative (free or paid-for) Anti-Virus solution.
    Note that the majority of cases appear to be in systems where Vista has not been updated to Service Pack 2 - which may or may not have anything to do with the problem, but should be rectified by the user as soon as possible.

Avast! appear to be in denial about the situation - and do not appear to be doing anything about it.

To remove Avast - use  Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall A Program, select Avast, and hit the Remove button. Follow the instructions.

The Avast! removal tool is available here http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Manual Windows validation - www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate

Alternative Free Anti-viruses:-
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    AVG free
    AntiVir

To update your Vista to Service Pack 2, visit Windows Update and install all Important Updates, then 'Check for Updates' again - rinse and repeat until the system tells you that there are not more Important Updates to install.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 6:15 AM

All replies

• I have converted this thread to a Sticky.

Sticky post status is set to expire at end of June (hopefully the issue will be resolved by then).

Darin MS
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:11 PM
  • I recently updated my free version of Avast on Vista. A few days later my system.exe ran way high on CPU resources & everything came to a crawl & stop. I tried opening a video mpg file that got corrupted and wouldn't open again. So, I rebooted & checkdisk did repairs automatically. Unfortunately, Vista would only load to allow Internet access to try and validate Vista at the MS website. That "mess" became an endless loop that would not allow me to get to the desktop or run any programs including the MS validation tool in IE too! It wouldn't install the Active-X or run the legitcheck.hta file. Trying to run any program or the legitcheck.hta got this message: "Not enough quota is available to process this command."

I restarted & did the F8 & selected last known good configuration. I was super lucky that worked to the desktop, and so I immediately UNinstalled Avast FOREVER. I ran the MS validation tool, and it authorized my Vista OS as validated.

Thanks MS for the FREE copy of Security Essentials, which I hope will protect my computer w/o the Avast insanity. Can you imagine? That's got to be a first that someone installed "virus-malware" into the very Avast software that is supposed to protect your computer from that form of evil. UNREAL... but what else could it be???

How many 1,000's are not able to boot into Vista & think their copy of the OS is now invalid???

Only a LUCKY search on the net with lots of reading got me to this issue & solution here.

There is no easy way to uninstall the Avast once you're in that validation loop unless one gets lucky with the F8 & last known good configuration works. Phew! :D

• Edited by Wandrider Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:28 PM added error message
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:01 PM
  • "Wandrider" wrote in message news:79318ab9-649f-4a7d-913f-856a5416f7d3...

I recently updated my free version of Avast on Vista. A few days later my system.exe ran way high on CPU resources & everything came to a crawl & stop. I tried opening a video mpg file that got corrupted and wouldn't open again. So, I rebooted & checkdisk did repairs automatically. Unfortunately, Vista would only load to allow Internet access to try and validate Vista at the MS website. That "mess" became an endless loop that would not allow me to get to the desktop or run any programs including the MS validation tool in IE too! It wouldn't install the Active-X or run the legitcheck.hta file. Trying to run any program or the legitcheck.hta got this message: "Not enough quota is available to process this command."

I restarted & did the F8 & selected last known good configuration. I was super lucky that worked to the desktop, and so I immediately UNinstalled Avast FOREVER. I ran the MS validation tool, and it authorized my Vista OS as validated.

Thanks MS for the FREE copy of Security Essentials, which I hope will protect my computer w/o the Avast insanity. Can you imagine? That's got to be a first that someone installed "virus-malware" into the very Avast software that is supposed to protect your computer from that form of evil. UNREAL... but what else could it be???

How many 1,000's are not able to boot into Vista & think their copy of the OS is now invalid???

Only a LUCKY search on the net with lots of reading got me to this issue & solution here.

There is no easy way to uninstall the Avast once you're in that validation loop unless one gets lucky with the F8 & last known good configuration works. Phew! :D

You should be able to uninstall it while in Safe Mode, because it doesn't use the Windows Installer.

--

Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:58 PM
  • "Wandrider" wrote in message news:79318ab9-649f-4a7d-913f-856a5416f7d3...

I recently updated my free version of Avast on Vista. A few days later my system.exe ran way high on CPU resources & everything came to a crawl & stop. I tried opening a video mpg file that got corrupted and wouldn't open again. So, I rebooted & checkdisk did repairs automatically. Unfortunately, Vista would only load to allow Internet access to try and validate Vista at the MS website. That "mess" became an endless loop that would not allow me to get to the desktop or run any programs including the MS validation tool in IE too! It wouldn't install the Active-X or run the legitcheck.hta file. Trying to run any program or the legitcheck.hta got this message: "Not enough quota is available to process this command."

You should be able to uninstall it while in Safe Mode, because it doesn't use the Windows Installer.

--

Friday, May 27, 2011 8:59 AM
  • thanks for the post.

when can I re-install Avast? or do I have to choose another one while you're resolving this issue when Avast updated its product?

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:26 PM
  • "mgrace82" wrote in message news:e61aa59d-a42a-4530-b250-57293a48f36b...

thanks for the post.

when can I re-install Avast? or do I have to choose another one while you're resolving this issue when Avast updated its product?

It's Avast's problem,  although they seems to be doing a good impression of being an ostrich at the moment, and denying that any problem exists.
    I would recommend installing an alternative AV.

--

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 6:58 AM
  • "mgrace82" wrote in message news:e61aa59d-a42a-4530-b250-57293a48f36b...

thanks for the post.

It's Avast's problem,  although they seems to be doing a good impression of being an ostrich at the moment, and denying that any problem exists.
    I would recommend installing an alternative AV.

--

Just had the problem with Avast.  The scenario seems to be that running the DOS Bootup anti-virus check (As a second stage check after the regular anti-virus scans that you may require after removing malware from your PC) leads to removal of the genuine flag that is set somewhere.

I have flagged this up to Avast customer help.  In the meanwhile I feel that although Avast are at fault for not picking up on this problem, the MS Helpdesks should be aware that when a customer calls up and points out that their valid copy that has been valid for at least a couple of years, it is still valid regardless of what your software has decided to say. 

They could then go to their amended scripts and identify that there is a new current problem with a particular AV program. To get the run round when you cannot readily find the product key and be sent off to speak to Dell to ask them where it is does not build confidence or a warm glow about MS at all.  I guess I was lucky finding the fix above; it took less time than getting my product key back from within the OS.

Is it too difficult for the helpdesk to tell you where the Product key is located so that you can give it to them, or even come up with a built in application that displays it on the screen when activated?  That would seem more user friendly than telling the user to phone Dell.

• Edited by Oggz Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:22 PM typo
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:13 PM
  • "Desert safari dubai" wrote in message news:d19ab8cd-fc74-439a-a1ee-8b48bf589029...
    i was also facing same problem but one of my friend solve this i think he also did like same thing
    Desert Safari Dubai

Please post your own MGADiag report in a new thread of your own - many problems look the same, but are very different!
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Monday, June 6, 2011 5:32 PM
  • In following the instructions as listed I am at the validation of Windows part. How long should it take for this to get finished? I have seen this screen:

Windows validation in process

This may take a few minutes, do not navigate away from this page.

Please Wait
    for at least 30 minutes.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 11:34 PM
  • "mutabapher" wrote in message news:1e1f41ca-20e5-44ff-8fb4-6a1e88bedc9f...
    In following the instructions as listed I am at the validation of Windows part. How long should it take for this to get finished? I have seen this screen:

for at least 30 minutes.
    It should not take that long.

please abort it, run a new MGADiag report, and post the results in  a NEW thread.

--

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:37 AM
  • In following the instructions as listed I am at the validation of Windows part. How long should it take for this to get finished? I have seen this screen:

Please Wait
    for at least 30 minutes.

Ditto.

This is a fairly recent vintage Dell business-class Optiplex 755 with Dell installed Windows Vista Business.

After being perfect for a few days the system displayed the error, triggered to the webpage, the user complied, and the Validation Process described here hung in a never-ending loop.  So far as I know its still sitting on that page waiting [that was overnight into today].

I consider this a Microsoft Validation error.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:09 PM
  • "Techwest" wrote in message news:b1207bc1-b6be-4b94-9998-cd4b9746c118...

for at least 30 minutes.

Ditto.

This is a fairly recent vintage Dell business-class Optiplex 755 with Dell installed Windows Vista Business.

After being perfect for a few days the system displayed the error, triggered to the webpage, the user complied, and the Validation Process described here hung in a never-ending loop.  So far as I know its still sitting on that page waiting [that was overnight into today].

I consider this a Microsoft Validation error.

Please repost your query together with an MGADiag report in a NEW thread of your own - this avoids confusion.
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:48 PM
  • One important thing to remember is that OEM installed operating systems can give the error message if the detection method guesses that it is on a different machine.  In my case, I gradually reversed what I was doing and separated each major change with a cold boot.  Eventually, I determined that the error was not AVAST but the addition of two external hard drive SATA docks connected by USB 2.0.   They are the Kingwin EZ-DOCK model of drive docks.  With one of these docks plugged in, I get the error.  With the dock physically disconnected, no more error.  It was repeatable for me so my guess is that my OEM software becomes confused when I connect those Kingwin docks and thinks it is a _copy_ running on a different PC.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:51 AM
  • One important thing to remember is that OEM installed operating systems can give the error message if the detection method guesses that it is on a different machine.  In my case, I gradually reversed what I was doing and separated each major change with a cold boot.  Eventually, I determined that the error was not AVAST but the addition of two external hard drive SATA docks connected by USB 2.0.   They are the Kingwin EZ-DOCK model of drive docks.  With one of these docks plugged in, I get the error.  With the dock physically disconnected, no more error.  It was repeatable for me so my guess is that my OEM software becomes confused when I connect those Kingwin docks and thinks it is a _copy_ running on a different PC.

Your problem is because of the way that the system is booting - it sees the USB drives before the Hard drives. Change your Boot Order in the BIOS so that the USB drives come later in the sequence, and you should have no more problems (I hope! - it's worked for others) - or disallow booting from USB.

--

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:25 AM
  • I am still unable to reslove my validation issues after removing Avast v6. Below is a copy of my report. Please advise. TIA

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc004f012
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2W73K-JDYT2-8QD33
    Windows Product Key Hash: gNYC0GA2I6ovLAZbMS9hYBU66H0=
    Windows Product ID: 89583-OEM-7213152-41517
    Windows Product ID Type: 8
    Windows License Type: COA SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6002.2.00010300.2.0.003
    ID: {99FD2930-F6C6-44BE-9C71-ED938CE404A7}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 6002.vistasp2_gdr.101014-0432
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 102
    Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3_B4D0AA8B-920-80070057

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{99FD2930-F6C6-44BE-9C71-ED938CE404A7}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.0.6002.2.00010300.2.0.003</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-8QD33</PKey><PID>89583-OEM-7213152-41517</PID><PIDType>8</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2396868969-363346747-292241750</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.49</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20090817000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>9C303507018400F6</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>HPQOEM</OEMID><OEMTableID>SLIC-MPC</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>102</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-002F-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><PidType>19</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.0.6002.18005

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: OAAAAAEABAABAAEAAQACAAAAAwABAAEA6GHEs/KvpANGZFT5EDOS/lrG8vTqRUQBjK4uD6xWfig=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20000
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   HPQOEM  SLIC-MPC
      FACP   HP      TRINITY
      HPET   HPQOEM  SLIC-MPC
      BOOT   HPQOEM  SLIC-MPC
      MCFG   HPQOEM  SLIC-MPC
      SLIC   HPQOEM  SLIC-MPC
      SSDT   AMD     PowerNow

Friday, July 1, 2011 7:56 AM
  • "SimplyMadnes" wrote in message news:5258e5c9-f0ec-405b-ab66-9d6d9f6c5201...

I am still unable to reslove my validation issues after removing Avast v6. Below is a copy of my report. Please advise. TIA

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc004f012
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2W73K-JDYT2-8QD33
    Windows Product Key Hash: gNYC0GA2I6ovLAZbMS9hYBU66H0=
    Windows Product ID: 89583-OEM-7213152-41517
    Windows Product ID Type: 8
    Windows License Type: COA SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6002.2.00010300.2.0.003

Please repost your report to your OWN NEW thread - this avoids confusion for all.
     - and there is no sign that your problem was caused by Avast anyhow.

--

Friday, July 1, 2011 8:22 AM
  • I just recently installed Avast and, at first, I thought that was the likely culprit in giving me the 'not genuine Windows' message on my desktop.  I went through a process of checking the files that Avast affected and don't believe Avast, by itself, is the issue.  No files appeared directly affected by Avast.  In my case my computer properties indicated that my genuine Windows WAS properly activated, so the warning was just a desktop alert that didn't actually stop any operations.

What I do think happened is that because the Avast software was running its initial startup check at the same time Windows tried to automatically install updated software, Avast may have simply interfered with a CLEAN install of the Windows update. 

Since I found no direct problems with Avast, I checked my Program Updates and found the following new Windows package had been installed at the time the 'not genuine' message appeared:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable – x86 9.0.30729.6161 

I uninstalled that Windows package and the message was gone.  I reinstalled it, restarted my computer and everything is fine now.  That suggests that the install was probably interfered with the first time around or it wouldn't have worked the second time.  It is likely Avast was the interference this time, but it could have just as easily been some other interference as I have had that kind of problem previously happen before getting Avast.  I had to uninstall and reinstall Windows updates 6 times in the last month for internet explorer and other issues before I ever got Avast.  I had Trend Micro Maximum Titanium 2011 then. 

I want an antivirus that is working from the moment the computer is turned on rather than waiting until all the Windows are open and running, so this could be an ongoing issue, given that Windows installs updates on startup.  Still, I agree that it is up to the antivirus programs to make sure they have a symbiotic relationship with Microsoft programs in order to function properly. 

I also believe, however, that Microsoft has some responsibility for their uncontrollable updates as well.  The endless daily updates makes it impossible for software developers to keep up and I have been fighting the conflicts between Microsoft updates and software for years now.  I have to completely recover my computer on a regular basis to keep on top of the performance issues that arise because of the updates and have learned to keep ALL my files and data on a removable drive to speed up the recovery process.  For the last year I have simply shut off my automatic updates to manage manually when it can be done in a cleared environment.  This time I let one update slip through.  I wish Microsoft would at least set the automatic updates to block all other activity until their installation would finish.  I understand that the updates themselves are necessary.

I hope this also helps someone else having similar problems.  Checking the latest updates first is so easy to do and new software won't eliminate the conflicts.

- KJSacramento

Sunday, August 7, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Please post a NEW MGADIAG report in YOUR OWN NEW THREAD - that way we have some chane of seeing if

a) your pro blem is what you thought it was

and

b) whether you've actually fixed it, or simply hidden it.

Sunday, August 7, 2011 7:27 PM
  • I am going to vote with kjasacramento here.  The warnings always seem to pop up when I let an update through, NOT due to Avast.  More recently, it seems like Windows Defender updates are causing the warning, for some reason they seem to be updating without me approving even though I thought I changed my settings.  In the past, it did seem to happen only after I allowed C++ redistributable updates.

It's a huge nuisance regardless, and only began about the time this thread started.

- Ed 

Monday, September 5, 2011 10:46 PM
  • "E Milner" wrote in message news:f468abc4-d4b0-4ac8-8ac2-3171e2aa6acd...

I am going to vote with kjasacramento here.  The warnings always seem to pop up when I let an update through, NOT due to Avast.  More recently, it seems like Windows Defender updates are causing the warning, for some reason they seem to be updating without me approving even though I thought I changed my settings.  In the past, it did seem to happen only after I allowed C++ redistributable updates.

It's a huge nuisance regardless, and only began about the time this thread started.

- Ed

The problem is with Avast – it is ONLY seen on machines with Avast installed.
    Something in Avast is interfering with the proper functioning of the Software Licensing Service – which is forced to run during a Windows Update install.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 11:59 AM
  • Thank you sooo much for your advise. That was the ticket that fixed my problem!
    Friday, September 9, 2011 3:07 PM