Supported printers RRS feed

• Question

• What printers are supported by onecare - I ask because I'm unable to share my all in one on my wired network and according to the help section there is a list which I cannot find.

As far as i can tell I've ticked all the right boxes and if i drop th efirewall others can print fine. I've submitted a post to support.

My printers a HP PSC 1210

Sunday, July 15, 2007 8:02 PM

Answers

• I give up (lol) - Over the last 4 days my wifes pc has connected to my printer no problem. Whatever the problem was has gone away.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Tom

Friday, August 24, 2007 6:11 PM

All replies

• Let us know what support says. How is the printer connected? Is it attached locally to the PC you are sharing from?

-steve

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:17 AM
  • Support wrote;

Thank you for your email about issues Issues with your printer after you installed Windows Live OneCare.

To enable us to help you resolve this issue, may I suggest on one of the following:

A useful resource is the Knowledge Base on our website, where we have published a large collection of articles and FAQs about our products. You can access it by going to our website at:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

You can also go online and visit our UK newsgroups to exchange ideas and information with other Microsoft product users.  There is also the chance to talk to our Most Valued Professional (MVP).

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx

If you do not find the answer you are looking for and wish to discuss your alternative support options, please call our Customer Support team on 0870 60 10 100. The lines are open from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.

Thank you again for getting in touch.

Kind regards,

GEETHA SHIVAKUMAR
    Customer Service Professional
    Microsoft Customer Services

Not quite what i was expecting!

My printer is attached to my pc via a usb cable and sharing is set to allow. As I posted all works well when the firewall is dropped, I presume a port is blocked but I don't know which one. I have ticked the box in 1 care to allow local network users to access my shared files/printers and as an experiment also ticked to allow internet printing all to no avail.

Tom

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:43 AM
  • That sure isn't a useful support response.

Is your PC configured as a Hub in Circles for multi-PC management?

-steve

Monday, July 16, 2007 6:11 PM
  • Steve,

Yes it is but i don't seem able to add a pc to my circle unless it's got 1 care on it. I've noted that in the printer status window there arn't any printers showing - I presume that's incorrect? I've confirmed that my printer is set to share.

But, I just tried printing to my photosmart printer from one of my other home pcs (with the firewall up) and it works fine! (don't you just love computers!) - so does this mean that my  all in one printer isn't supported by 1 care? Its not a new one (bought a couple of years ago), so back to my original question - is there a list of supported printers? How easy would it be to get a printer added to the list of supported printers?

Tom

Monday, July 16, 2007 6:59 PM
  • We dont have a list of printers that we support. We would share the printer for you

1. If the printer driver supports remote printing

2. If the driver installation does not crash the spooler service

3. If you are able to share your printer using windows printer sharing

Monday, July 16, 2007 10:54 PM
  • Hello, Adnan. It would seem that Tom's printer meets all of the above, yet it fails unless the firewall is off.

I'm wondering if this is the printer sharing/network share on a hub issue.

-steve

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:47 AM
  • Please make sure that the onecare-firewall is on a private network. File and print sharing ports are only open in private network by default.

you can find it in OneCareUI->ChangeSettings->Firewall Tab->Advanced Settings->Network connections.

Select the network you are on and make sure it is in the 'home or work zone'. You can change it by clicking on change zone button.

thanks.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 2:23 AM
  • What type of printers are supported?

In general, OneCare supports physical printers that are directly attached directly to the PC via a cable. OneCare does not support following kind of printers

a) Network Printers: These are the printers that you attach to network and you configure your PC to use it

b) Software Printer: These are not real printers but software components that help you print to a file. Example include "Send to OneNote", "Fax" drivers etc.

In additions to not supporting these generic types, we do not support specific printer models which we find do not work well in sharing environment or causes problems on a particular user's machine.

How to figure out whether your printer is supported?

In order to figure out whether or not your printer is supported, please go to the computer to which the printer is attached. Right click on the printer. You should see an item with OneCare icon on it. It the item says

• "stop sharing", your printer is not unsupported.
    • "start sharing',  please make sure you have more then one PC in your OneCare circle and then click on it.
    • "more information", please click on it and see what message it provides.

Please let us know result of this investigation. Thanks for trying it out

Thanks

Neeraj

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:26 AM
  • Hi - Thanks for all the posts, I'll try and answer them in turn but first an update on the support reply. I emailed support back to say that I wasn't best pleased with the reply and the response was 

"your email concerning a technical issue has been received at our Customer Services department which gives general information on our products and services. I am not technically qualified to help resolve your issue and do not have the resources to forward your mail to our Technical Support team" - All I did after going through the help section in one care (and not finding an answer) was to click on the link for support - It seems that instead of directing me to support it takes me to customer service, I presume this is wrong?

Anyway back to your posts.

Adnam - Thank you - yes as Steve says my printer meets your statements.

WLOC-Vikram - yes my settings match your suggestion, thanks anyway.

Ngarg - When I right click on my printer icon there isn't any icon for one care on either printer - just to refresh i have 2 printers attached to my pc both connected by a usb cable. one is a all in one and the other is a photo printer. my family cannot connect to my all in one while the firewall is up but can connect to the photprinter. One care is only installed on my pc.

Your point (a) says that network printers arn't supported - in my case my faily members see the printer attached my machine as a network printer so is this an instance where one care users cannot print or do you meen a netwok printer attached to a print server?

Bit puzzeling why one works ok and the other doesn't - has anyone else with an all in one reported an issue?

Thanks

Tom

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:09 PM
  • A bit more news.

I seem to have found a solution, but I think it opens up another issue or two.

I installed one care onto my laptop and its been accepted into the onecare circle on my own pc and i can print fine to the all in one so the solution is that you can ony use a printer that's attached to a one care machine if you are part of it's circle.

But i note you can only have 3 pcs (i presume where you say pcs it means upto 3 machines whether they are all pcs or a mixture of pcs and laptops), in our house we have 3 pcs and 2 laptops (ones a win2k laptop which one care isn't suitable for) - so does this mean that only 3 machines can share the printers and the other 2 cannot? I appreciate that most households may not have more than 3 machines but a lot will - what happens then - can a machine be more than one hub? Can you have two hubs in a circle?

Then there is the issue of older windows operating systems (I know households who have XP and win98) and mixtures of different operating sytems (macs/linux/windows).

I think that many people will overcome this by a) just dropping the firewalls or b) using a package that doesn't restrict the number of machines, some software houses charge by the number of machines in a network.

Tom

(oh and in case anyones interested yes its still raining!)

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:23 PM
  • Oh, it isn't raining here, Tom. I'm in NJ. We may see rain tomorrow. :-)

I don't know why your email went to customer service who claimed they were unable to help you. That was supposed to route to tech support. I'll follow up.

Yes, 1 subscription is for 3 computers. I haven't figured out how that plays into Circles yet if you have 6 PCs and 2 subscriptions which currently require multiple LiveIDs.

In theory, printer sharing should be simply allowed or denied by the firewall and the File and Printer Sharing settings for the OS. I don't yet understand what OneCare brings to the table there. So, the PCs without OneCare should be able to connect to a printer shared on a PC that is hosting the shared printer.

(good thread, by the way! I hope to learn something here!)

-steve

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:25 AM
  • Let me clarify:

There are two different issues "Firewall allowing File & Printer Sharing" vs. "Automatic Printer Sharing"

Firewall allowing/blocking printer sharing happens at the network level. We allow that to work from any machine from within the subnet when firewall is running in home zone.

However you have to share the printer and install it on other machines yourself.

Automatic Printer Sharing takes it to the next level of automation. We share printers attached directly to any OneCare machine with all other machines in your OneCare circle. So without taking any action you can print from any machine in OneCare circle to any machine in OneCare circle. Automatic Printer sharing in no way restricts your ability to access this printer from machines outside OneCare circle manually.

We are aware of the fact that some of our customers have more than 3 PC's and we would certainly love to have all of them part of OneCare circle. I will pass this information to the concerned PM.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 7:02 AM
  • Reading the thread again, it appears that you are not trying OneCare automatic printer sharing functionality. You have an existing shared printer that you have yourself set up and post installation it stopped working.

Can you please confirm, this is indeed the problem?

If so, this is a firewall issue and we would need to debug it. Please do the following

a) Change OneCare Setting

b) Logging tab

c) Make sure the checkbox for "Collect detailed firewall information" is checked. If it is already checked, uncheck it, hit apply, check it and hit apply to work around a bug.

d) Now reproduce the problem i.e. try to access the printer like you previously did

e) Run c:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\OneCareSupport.exe and send us the zip file

Thanks

Neeraj

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 7:06 AM
  • Neeraj,

Thanks for the post yes to confirm I had a share setup on the printer prior to the installation of one care, The box is ticked in one care to allow print and file sharing automatically. I'm just off to work now so will send you the log tonight (UK time).

Tom

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 7:45 AM
  • Sorry quick question

Where do I send the log? Is there an email address to use or do you want me to copy and paste into this forum?

Thanks

Tom

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:50 PM
  • I'm moving this over to the firewall folder, Tom. For the support log, you can send it to me - sboots@mvps.org and I'll forward it. Include "OneCare 2.0" in the subject line and a link to this thread in the message body.

-steve

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 5:26 PM
  • An update.

Wife tried to send to my printer - failed as the firewall was up. This time i dropped the firewall for 4 hours instead of permanant, so she was able to print ok, interestingly the firewall is now back up and she can still print ok?

I'm presuming that I still have a issue with a machine that isn't part of a onecare circle being able to a machine within a onecare circle (but I will test over the next few days) but its a weird one!

Tom

Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:24 PM
  • Indeed!

-steve

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:34 AM
  • Bizzare continues! Printing throught the onecare firewall now possible by a non circle pc (onecare not installed on the wifes pc)

Tom

Sunday, August 19, 2007 3:55 PM
  • I give up (lol) - Over the last 4 days my wifes pc has connected to my printer no problem. Whatever the problem was has gone away.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Tom

Friday, August 24, 2007 6:11 PM