xp key find drive going bad to put to new drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old Sony Vaio I need to keep around to make use of an old Optra 1625s printer, I have plenty of ink for.

In the past, I updated from XP to Windows 7 & after changing the OE hard drive from a maxtor to a seagate. Just recently, the s.m.a.r.t. check on the seagate had to be bypassed as it says to back up and replace the failing drive, bad sector. I did, but then I put the old drive back in, because I don't have the old XP disc, and windows 7 I have is an update disc. I ordered a SATA cable as my Sony only has one. The concern I have is I cannot find my old XP install disc. I think I tossed it after updating to Windows 7. The 7 disc is an upgrade disc. So, of course it says not valid, when trying to validate. Is there a way to pull my old xp key from the failing hard drive so I can then remove the failing drive and validate the windows 7 on my new drive ? I hate the thought of having to buy windows 7 again or windows 8 for a 2005 pc, just so I can use the printer, if you know what I mean. I have the SATA cables en route, I ordered two, so I can be proactive and order another hard drive for my newer computer before it goes as well. So, I guess I am looking for a way to extract the xp key from .old files or wherever. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sunday, February 3, 2013 9:17 PM

Answers