I am giving up on the WHS Pooled storage... RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use the Windows Homerver as as  "SERVER",
    Yes Virgina a real server that you can:

1) read from and write to and EDIT FILES on.
    2) That you can write to and read from at speeds the utilize the speed of my network.
    3) That you don't have to worry about that valuable data having the smoke let out it when you least expect it.

I was regularily seeing 10-12% network utilization on the Shares on the storage pool .  Then trying to use WHS to store many changing gigabytes of storage daily from Video applications that our Media Centers share I realized that it is time to stop fighting with this stuff.

The drive extender it a great concept.  In reality it performs badly performancewise and might get hungry and decide to eat my data.

I had a Linux server setup (Still is on another drive) that is just blazing fast but I don't want another machine.

I love the backups on the WHS and want to keep them.

Soooooo I got to thinking that I should be using the Windows Server 2003 aspect for storage as opposed to the WHS storage pool.

I pulled some drive storage out of the storage pool and configured it and reformated it in disk manager, assigned it a drive letter and configured shares on it.  Initially would only read the shares as I did not realize that I also had to configure the file share permissions, in addtion to the folder share permissions but once done it is just behaving like it was made to share and serve data.  Oh wait it was designed to do that.

It is now consistently using 88-92% of my 100Mbs network as opposed to the usual 10-12% and occasional 35% performance using the sharers. 

Also on a 3.0 P4 with HT it would show 50% utilization during this process but it you looked at it in task manager. one side of the CPU using 90% and the other using 10%.

Now its show 10-20% cpu utilization during file transfers but with both sides of the CPU shouwing about 10% which is intereresting.

I am going to replicate the data on other drives once I get them out of the sortage pool using a nightly script.

I am not going to have to worry about data corruption biting me the rear when I don't expect it as all that is on the storage pool drives will be my backups, website and a small subset of data available for websharing, access.

What I really would like todo is to pull out one of the two drives left in the storage pool and just run WHS with a single drive which MS says is not causing any problems but I don't want to loose the existing backups and I did not find any way of combined the system and storage pool drives without loosing the backup data.

I think that I will probably never go back and use the storage pool until it can come close actually using the network at a reasonable utilization rate and stops eating data.

The only annoyance to this so far is that I would love to be able to remove addition drives from showing up as being available to add to the storage pool so that they don't get put into the storage pool by mistake.

Would pulling the keys to that drive in the home  server storage pool section of the registry do this?

Any one else doing this or contemplating doing this?

Friday, March 7, 2008 12:05 AM

Answers

•  Mike in Paradise wrote:

What I really would like todo is to pull out one of the two drives left in the storage pool and just run WHS with a single drive which MS says is not causing any problems but I don't want to loose the existing backups and I did not find any way of combined the system and storage pool drives without loosing the backup data.

If there is sufficient free space on the D partition of your primary drive to hold the client backups you should be able to remove the storage disk using the WHS console.

If you don't trust it simply move all the backupdata to a folder on the D partition or aother drive (open command shell, net stop pdl and then net stop whsbackup, then copy data from D:\folders\{000*). Then reset backup database using WHS console (or manually delete all files from D:\folders\{000*) disable duplication for the remaining shares and remove the disk from the storage pool. To restore the backups simply copy them back to D:\folders\{000*.

Mike in Paradise wrote:
    The only annoyance to this so far is that I would love to be able to remove addition drives from showing up as being available to add to the storage pool so that they don't get put into the storage pool by mistake.

Why would you do this? If you try to add a disk to the storage pool WHS will warn you and ask if you're sure.

If you want a secure setup I would advise you to get a decent RAID controller and then run the system disk and also all secondary (non storage pool) disks in RAID1 setup.

Friday, March 7, 2008 12:54 AM

All replies

•  Mike in Paradise wrote:

If there is sufficient free space on the D partition of your primary drive to hold the client backups you should be able to remove the storage disk using the WHS console.

If you don't trust it simply move all the backupdata to a folder on the D partition or aother drive (open command shell, net stop pdl and then net stop whsbackup, then copy data from D:\folders\{000*). Then reset backup database using WHS console (or manually delete all files from D:\folders\{000*) disable duplication for the remaining shares and remove the disk from the storage pool. To restore the backups simply copy them back to D:\folders\{000*.

Mike in Paradise wrote:

Why would you do this? If you try to add a disk to the storage pool WHS will warn you and ask if you're sure.

If you want a secure setup I would advise you to get a decent RAID controller and then run the system disk and also all secondary (non storage pool) disks in RAID1 setup.

Friday, March 7, 2008 12:54 AM
  • Thanks Brubber, when I get a chance I will give this a try and see if I can get WHS back to a single drive, with my current backup sets. 

Friday, March 7, 2008 11:44 AM