Windows 10 Had to install new Motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• I can't find the right forum for this. I installed Windows 10. In the process of installing a new hardware piece I fried the SDRAM slot of my motherboard. I was already debating buying a new motherboard anyway, so I did. Now that I have I keep getting Error Code : 0xC004C003. I also have an Activate Windows message on my desktop. When I click on go to store, it tells me "You're running a genuine version of Windows 10 Home." I don't know what to do cause it doesn't give me the number for Windows or anything. 

Thursday, August 13, 2015 2:07 PM

Answers

• The Windows 10 license is only 'valid for the lifetime of the device' if you got the upgrade from an OEM machine - in MS-speak, the 'device' is the motherboard.

Changing the motherboard will therefore invalidate the license.

The reason that the Store tells you the system is genuine is because you're still inside the grace period - as soon as you run out of grace, you'll find that message changing.

Please repost your Windows 10 query to the appropriate WIndows 10 Community forum here...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winactivate 

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:41 PM