A few Questions.... RRS feed

• Question

• I have just recently heard about WHS and have a couple of questions if you all don't mind.

1) I read all over that WHS only shares media with MS Media center devices (MCE, 360, etc) is this true? I have roughly 1.4TB of XVID encoded media and currently share it between various devices through standard network shares. Is this method of direct file access still available?

2) For that 1.4 TB of data mentioned above what is the story with the file duplication (mirror without the raid) function? Will i need 2.8TB of space to store it or can I turn that off ?

Thanks for your Responces

Friday, April 13, 2007 6:40 PM

Answers

• 1) Yes it is you will have to access it via \\server (standard) and then enter your username and password Smile
    2) Yes you can turn it off or actually you dont have to turn it on Wink its off automaticaly

Hope I got everything Big Smile
    Friday, April 13, 2007 6:54 PM
  • 1) WHS is capable of sharing media with anything that can consume Media Connect 2.0 uPnP. That includes your xBox 360, certain other devices, and Windows Media Player 11 on Vista. I don't believe it includes earlier versions of Media Center. You can still access your media through network shares.

2) Share duplication is turned off by default for all shares. If you choose to turn it on, all files in that share will be duplicated. You can only turn it on if you have at least two hard drives in your storage pool, because it duplicates the files on two separate drives. So if there's 100 GB of media in a share and you turn it on, you'll consume 200 GB of disk space, probably 100 GB each on two drives.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 7:27 PM

All replies

• 1) Yes it is you will have to access it via \\server (standard) and then enter your username and password Smile
    2) Yes you can turn it off or actually you dont have to turn it on Wink its off automaticaly

Hope I got everything Big Smile
    Friday, April 13, 2007 6:54 PM
  • 1) WHS is capable of sharing media with anything that can consume Media Connect 2.0 uPnP. That includes your xBox 360, certain other devices, and Windows Media Player 11 on Vista. I don't believe it includes earlier versions of Media Center. You can still access your media through network shares.

2) Share duplication is turned off by default for all shares. If you choose to turn it on, all files in that share will be duplicated. You can only turn it on if you have at least two hard drives in your storage pool, because it duplicates the files on two separate drives. So if there's 100 GB of media in a share and you turn it on, you'll consume 200 GB of disk space, probably 100 GB each on two drives.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 7:27 PM
  • Thanks all, i do not (nor will i ever) use any of the media connect devices, the ability to share via the standard server// is very nice as is the news about the mirroring function. I hope to utilize this software to better manage space on my server which is currently set up with 8HDD and 2TB of space in mounted folders. The ability for it to globally increase the storage size without partitions will make my storage method obsolete and provide many benefits... now all I have to do is wait for the retail version because no premade sever will do what I want it to do for less than 10x what I build my own for.

-Cold
    Friday, April 13, 2007 8:55 PM