Easy question (hopefully!) RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been using WHS since V1 and have had relatively few problems with the product, I actually find it very suitable to my needs and so firstly I commend Microsoft on producing such a product and hope to see this OS development continue.

I have though since upgrading to the Vail refresh started to suffer from some serious disk performance issues (performance of around 500KB to 1MB/sec when transfering between local hard disks) which I am going to run a log collection for and send back via connect.

What I was hoping to have answered here though in the meantime is, if I was to re-run the install of Vail on the existing machine, will I loose data or does it have the same capability of previos versions of WHS to retain data on the storage pool?

Thanks in advance
    Matt

Friday, September 24, 2010 3:30 AM

All replies

• If you reinstall with the same version, you can get at the data on your secondary disks, because they mount up as "non-default server storage" and shares mount into the file system on C:. There's functionality there to simply "mount" the entire foreign pool, but I don't recommend you use it in this build, as the last time I tried it I found it rather buggy...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 24, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Hi Ken

Thanks for the response, I assumed that this might be the case i.e. no "recommended" way forward. Looks like it might be a (slow) migration off, rebuild and migration back on.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:42 AM