1.5TB external SATA drive suddenly "not formatted" RRS feed

• Question

• This afternoon some of my files on my WHS became inaccessible. The console said the drive status is "Unhealthy", I tried to Repair the drive but it doesn't work.

Disk Management says the drive is not formatted!

I rebooted, I reseated cables, I switched eSATA ports. I don't know what else to do.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:18 PM

Answers

• I resolved THIS issue, but believe I have uncovered another issue that led to this (for which I will start a new thread).

I booted with a Knoppix Live CD and used Testdisk to restore the backup on the boot sector on the drive. On reboot, WHS ran chkdsk and found lots of errors that it repaired (something about security IDs). I believe all my data is intact.
    • Marked as answer by Joseph Harris Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:47 PM
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:47 PM

All replies

• Joseph Harris said:

This afternoon some of my files on my WHS became inaccessible. The console said the drive status is "Unhealthy", I tried to Repair the drive but it doesn't work.

Disk Management says the drive is not formatted!

I rebooted, I reseated cables, I switched eSATA ports. I don't know what else to do.

I would start by powering down the server, removing the affected drive, then connect it to a client PC and see what data is on the drive (if any).  NOTE:  WHS keeps all files in a hidden folder called DE, so make sure you have Show hidden files and folders checked on the client PC so you can see the data.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:59 PM
  • I resolved THIS issue, but believe I have uncovered another issue that led to this (for which I will start a new thread).

I booted with a Knoppix Live CD and used Testdisk to restore the backup on the boot sector on the drive. On reboot, WHS ran chkdsk and found lots of errors that it repaired (something about security IDs). I believe all my data is intact.
    • Marked as answer by Joseph Harris Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:47 PM
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Please validate, if that (Seagate) disk is not one affected by the firmware bug - and if it is, apply the firmware upgrade as soon as possible to avoid the disk breaking.
    Also be aware, that external (USB) disks can be troublesome in the storage pool, which by experience seems to have its reason often in the electronic of the enclosure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:40 PM