CRM 2015 - Change drop down values affect database? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok - feel I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway:

When you have a drop down selection, say for a Priority, which is "High", "Medium", "Low", and you click on the column heading, it sorts in alpha order.  Which then puts items in "High" - "Low" - "Medium".  Not very desirable.

So - is it possible to change the drop-down, and add something like "1 High", "2 Medium", "3 Low" - so they will sort properly?  Or change the values to something else so it sorts the way one would expect?  And when you do - does that require updating/altering the existing data?  Or are these values associated internally with something like a numeric so the first item in the list is a "1", second item in the list is "2", etc.?

I suspect that the actual text value is stored in the DB - but just wanted to make sure when setting up the system.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 2:43 PM

Answers

• So Activities are actually meta-entities that drive more than one entity, and also need to sync to Outlook.  Due to that, I had forgotten that the specific option set you're looking at is not customizable.  It touches too many things, and would break them.  Instead, you could create your own custom priority option set, then add it to all Activity types and use that instead of the built-in one.  It won't be as pretty or seamless, but you can do with it what you want.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Marked as answer by tundrwd Wednesday, April 1, 2015 4:06 PM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 3:38 PM

All replies

• So what you want to find are the Option Sets in CRM.  That's how CRM stores dropdowns.  All Option Set Items have a label and an ID.  CRM stores the ID in the database, so you can totally update the label to "1 High" etc. without harming your data.  All existing "High" labels will be updated with "1 High" once you publish that change.  The ID behind the label is what CRM cares about, and is the thing you don't want to change.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Proposed as answer by Wayne Walton Tuesday, March 31, 2015 3:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by tundrwd Tuesday, March 31, 2015 4:34 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by tundrwd Tuesday, March 31, 2015 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 3:27 PM
  • It appears that once set - the priority code for the Activity cannot be changed.

Solutions->Components->Entities->Activity->Fields->prioritycode

It appears that it is not customizable.  A bit frustrating, as one would normally like to sort this type of field to do the "High" Items first, then "Medium", etc.  I can't understand why I can't change the label here to something that makes sense when sorted.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 4:51 PM
  • So Activities are actually meta-entities that drive more than one entity, and also need to sync to Outlook.  Due to that, I had forgotten that the specific option set you're looking at is not customizable.  It touches too many things, and would break them.  Instead, you could create your own custom priority option set, then add it to all Activity types and use that instead of the built-in one.  It won't be as pretty or seamless, but you can do with it what you want.

• Marked as answer by tundrwd Wednesday, April 1, 2015 4:06 PM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 3:38 PM