Can I purchase a copy of windows XP from Microsoft? RRS feed

• Question

• I was given this pc by a friend.  Have been trying to setup virus protection etc.  Windows update won't allow me to get security updates, as my copy of XP isn't genuine (details included below)  I don't want to upgrade to windows 7 as I have software that will not work with it.  The Validation page deosn't seem to provide a simple process that will allow me to buy a genuine copy of XP!  Is this possible, or do I need to buy a second hand copy witha genuine license key from someone else?

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-DBM62-JWV8X-DCTJB
    Windows Product Key Hash: 5ab7XOGZaBZqlHdW5+fJc1mF7GI=
    Windows Product ID: 55661-013-6624082-22564
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro
    ID: {6E90B511-FAB1-430E-AD56-AEBF718A38B1}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe[5.1.2600.1106], Hr = 0x800b0100

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{6E90B511-FAB1-430E-AD56-AEBF718A38B1}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-DCTJB</PKey><PID>55661-013-6624082-22564</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1177238915-725345543-978862869</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ASUSTek Computer Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>K8N-E</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1004.011</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060216******.******+***</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>63ED336F0184407D</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 12C70:ASUSTeK Computer Inc
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Sunday, July 25, 2010 10:03 AM

Answers

• Hello atomsound,

No longer offering the WGA Kit for XP is a significant milestone in the WGA program, so I would not believe it until I saw such an announcement or change on the UK website.

If you have the time, I would suggest calling back today andask the same question.  If you get the same answer ask to speak with a supervisor to get confirmation.  Then point out to the supervisor that the main WGA FAQ still says they are offering the WGA Get Genuine Kit, and the WGA Kit is still referenced on this page under "What Should I Do":  http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/homeuser/notifications.mspx

Personally I would discourage you from buying XP second-hand due to the strong chance of getting a bad copy, unless it's from a friend who you know is techy enough to not have acquired counterfeit software.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:38 AM

All replies

• Hello atomsound,

Your installation of XP Pro seems to be a curious combination of elements.  There are lines in the report that say this installation has some Dell in it, and has some retail in it.  And there is a hacked file named winlogon.exe that could explain why a normally OEM SLP license installation would report as a retail license installation.

Is there a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) for Windows affixed to the computer itself, or did the computer come from the friend with retail Windows materials such as a nice pretty retail box with the CoA on the outer boxtop, and with a genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation disc and heavy paperboard folder inside the box?  Do not post the product key that may be printed on the CoA or on the yellow-orange Proof Of License label that would be on the back of the paperboard folder.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 2:00 PM
  • Hi Dan

I have none of the items you describe...

Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:27 PM
  • Hello atomsound,

We will have to wait for final word on your XP installation from Darin Smith the Microsoft moderator who will check your report on Monday or Tuesday.

When you go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on Validate Windows, does your installation Validate normally?  If not I would expect that you would be shown web pages explaining why not and giving you an opportunity to purchase a WGA Get Genuine Kit directly from Microsoft, which for you would be XP Pro.  OTOH, if it does validate you will not be shown the Get Genuine pages.

Sunday, July 25, 2010 6:25 PM
  • It doesn't validate normally. Once validation fails, I get pages inviting me to update to windows 7, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way I can just purchase XP!  I can't seem to find anywhere on the validation site that offers XP as an option.
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 6:43 PM
  • Hello atomsound,

AFAIK, on the pages that are displayed after failing validation, you should be presented with an offer to buy the WGA Kit for your installed product, which is XP Pro.  I don't know why you are not seeing that.

Your mgadiag report says your time zone is GMT, so here is a page that has contact information for the Genuine Advantage program in the UK:  http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/homeuser/contact-us.mspx  I would suggest ringing them up or emailing to further inquire about the WGA Kit.

Come back and let us know what the result is :-)

Monday, July 26, 2010 1:05 PM
  • Apparently, the genuine advantage program support team cannot offer support to anyone that hasn't got a CD key (at least on the phone anyway).  They also stated that it is no longer possible to purchase XP from microsoft even in the eventuality where it is required to run older applications.  So it looks like a second hand purchase is the only option.  This seems a little odd to me - I would be very happy to buy a WGA kit for my installed product, but MS seem not to want my money!
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:31 AM
  • Hello atomsound,

No longer offering the WGA Kit for XP is a significant milestone in the WGA program, so I would not believe it until I saw such an announcement or change on the UK website.

If you have the time, I would suggest calling back today andask the same question.  If you get the same answer ask to speak with a supervisor to get confirmation.  Then point out to the supervisor that the main WGA FAQ still says they are offering the WGA Get Genuine Kit, and the WGA Kit is still referenced on this page under "What Should I Do":  http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/homeuser/notifications.mspx

Personally I would discourage you from buying XP second-hand due to the strong chance of getting a bad copy, unless it's from a friend who you know is techy enough to not have acquired counterfeit software.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:38 AM
  • Hello atomsound,

My tool is telling me that this Genuine Product Key is a Retail copy of Windows XP Upgrade for the language: Chinese Simplified.

My feeling is that the discrepancies that Dan mentioned in the Diagnostic report may be a software problem with XP itself. My recommendation would be to reinstall, if possible.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:44 PM