Outlook plugin: "Track in CRM" - how to for delegate (2nd) inboxes? RRS feed

• Question

• hi all

re: our outlook plugin:

we can track email enquiries (within the CRM) sent from contacts to our staff ... provided the staff use is their primary inbox for their Outlook account

However, if the staff member adds a second (delegate) inbox to Outlook (eg: a shared inbox eg "Enquiries@..." etc) the CRM can't track those emails.

Surely this is possible? It's common practice for staff members to have Outlook setup for their accounts as their primary and have a second inbox linked to it, shared amongst many.

thanks
    b

Monday, October 26, 2009 7:44 AM

Answers

• I think this is new for Rollup 7.  See this blog for more information:

Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook now supports Outlook delegates.  If an Outlook user is a delegate for another Outlook user, the delegate can mark items for tracking in the primary user's inbox. The Exchange Server stores the tracking information until the primary user starts Outlook. At that time, Microsoft Dynamics CRM verifies the data and then synchronizes with Outlook.

Best Regards, Donna
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:31 PM

All replies

• Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook now supports Outlook delegates.  If an Outlook user is a delegate for another Outlook user, the delegate can mark items for tracking in the primary user's inbox. The Exchange Server stores the tracking information until the primary user starts Outlook. At that time, Microsoft Dynamics CRM verifies the data and then synchronizes with Outlook.

• Best Regards, Donna
Monday, October 26, 2009 3:37 PM
  • (many thanks for replying, Donna)

We're using Rollup5 (delays going to Rollup7 while we do further testing). is this the same fix that's in Rollup7?

If so, we've been trying to get this to work. It works inconsistently (the tracking works for the delegate then stops tracking). We're trying to find the conditions where it stops working.

just to check, we've setup "enquiries@ ..." as a domain account and as a CRM user (using one licence seat). This is the correct way to do it, yes?

Monday, October 26, 2009 11:01 PM
  • I think this is new for Rollup 7.  See this blog for more information:

Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook now supports Outlook delegates.  If an Outlook user is a delegate for another Outlook user, the delegate can mark items for tracking in the primary user's inbox. The Exchange Server stores the tracking information until the primary user starts Outlook. At that time, Microsoft Dynamics CRM verifies the data and then synchronizes with Outlook.

Best Regards, Donna
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:31 PM
  • many thanks for your reply, Donna

"I think this is new for Rollup 7." yes, and I thought so too. The wording of Rollup7 (and everything I read about it) seemed to indicate that you would be correct and that this is indeed the case.

however...

I stumbled across http://crm.atechnisch.nl/2009/05/tracking-e-mails-directly-from-shared-mailboxes/ which talks about a rollup back in May/June ... which must at least be Rollup5.

added to this, I've come across someone personally who has applied Rollup5 and solved this issue. It's just that I'm having no luck. Even though they're in a different environment, I'm just about to start comparing anything I can between their working setup and my broken one. So far, I haven't found any meaningful differences.

Now that I've sucessfully applied Rollup5 and got a change of behavour (but still no fix) I've raised another thread to try and document what I've tried so far and the results I've got.

Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:36 AM