none
Migrating to larger drive in WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS PC will only take one drive, and it's getting full! Is there a recommended way to migrate to a larger drive and retain the WHS software and data?
    -- Nigel M
    Friday, July 16, 2010 10:51 AM

Answers

• You will need to replace that drive. Then you will do a fresh installation of Windows Home Server, and finally you will connect your old drive to another computer (never connect a Windows Home Server system drive from one installation directly to a server running another installation) and copy from D:\DE\Shares\etc. to the shares on your new installation. You may have to use phone activation to reactivate, but Microsoft has been understanding about this situation, so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Or buy all new hardware, including a case that will hold more than a single drive, and do a fresh installation there. Then copy share to share. Activation will probably need to be via phone again.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, July 17, 2010 3:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nigel M Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:29 AM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 12:44 PM

All replies

• You will need to replace that drive. Then you will do a fresh installation of Windows Home Server, and finally you will connect your old drive to another computer (never connect a Windows Home Server system drive from one installation directly to a server running another installation) and copy from D:\DE\Shares\etc. to the shares on your new installation. You may have to use phone activation to reactivate, but Microsoft has been understanding about this situation, so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Or buy all new hardware, including a case that will hold more than a single drive, and do a fresh installation there. Then copy share to share. Activation will probably need to be via phone again.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, July 17, 2010 3:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nigel M Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:29 AM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 12:44 PM
  • do a fresh installation of Windows Home Server...

Is this the only way? I wondered if I could use a disk clone program to copy the 1TB partition to the new 2TB drive. Then increase the partition size, or add a second 1TB partition to the storage.
    -- Nigel M
    Friday, July 16, 2010 5:15 PM
  • You could add an external HD via USB. But I wouldn't recommend it. Also if you are in growing needs you better dump the WHS that can only have on HD. I wonder why a WHS can only have one HD. Must be a bargain (and for a good reason..).

"Nigel M" wrote in message news:01916fdc-26a2-4678-a0f1-a2afa5acb7c4@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

do a fresh installation of Windows Home Server...

Is this the only way? I wondered if I could use a disk clone program to copy the 1TB partition to the new 2TB drive. Then increase the partition size, or add a second 1TB partition to the storage.

-- Nigel M

Have a nice day!
    Friday, July 16, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Cloning is an unsupported and complex (there are a number of steps beyond just cloning the partitions which, if done wrong, can leave you in a pretty bad place) way to migrate to a new drive.
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:37 AM
  • "I wonder why a WHS can only have one HD."

The HP LX-195 has only 1 hard drive bay, but you are correct, it is heavily discounted.  It does have expansion through 4 USB ports.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

You could add an external HD via USB. But I wouldn't recommend it. Also if you are in growing needs you better dump the WHS that can only have on HD. I wonder why a WHS can only have one HD. Must be a bargain (and for a good reason..).

"Nigel M" wrote in message news:01916fdc-26a2-4678-a0f1-a2afa5acb7c4@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

do a fresh installation of Windows Home Server...

Is this the only way? I wondered if I could use a disk clone program to copy the 1TB partition to the new 2TB drive. Then increase the partition size, or add a second 1TB partition to the storage.

-- Nigel M

Have a nice day!

BullDawg
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 1:03 AM
  • Cloning is an unsupported and complex (there are a number of steps beyond just cloning the partitions which, if done wrong, can leave you in a pretty bad place) way to migrate to a new drive.

Thanks Ken, I'll do as you suggest.

FWIW, it's got one drive because it's a small case!

-- Nigel M

Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:29 AM
  • [1] do a fresh installation of Windows Home Server
    [2] connect your old drive to another computer
    [3] copy from D:\DE\Shares\etc. to the shares on your new installation

Hi Ken, can you clarify [3] above for me.

Do I put both WHS drives on another computer? Otherwise, where do I copy  \DE\Shares\ to?

-- Nigel M
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 11:26 AM
  • No, just the old one. You copy over the network to the exposed shares. You should never connect a Windows Home Server system drive from one installation to a different installation; issues will result, and while usually all you need to do to resolve them is remove the "foreign" system drive, sometimes you have permanent problems which require another reinstallation to resolve.
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 1:30 PM
  • You copy over the network to the exposed shares.
    OK, thanks. But what about the backups?
    -- Nigel M
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 5:42 PM
  • The easiest thing to do is just back up all your home computers to your new installation. It's possible to copy the backup database, though, if you really need it. You'll find instructions for doing so in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief, which you can download from the Windows Home Server section of the Microsoft web site.
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 3:29 AM
  • Thanks Ken,

There are some old files on the backup that I may need. So essentially I need to:

"Copy the contents from the [old] external hard drive E:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} to D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}."

Also, is it possible to retain the WHS settings?

-- Nigel M

Monday, July 19, 2010 10:00 PM
  • As is documented here and elsewhere (including in the Console help file) you will not be able to preserve settings, users, etc. in a reinstallation or new installation. 

You should read the technical brief I referenced; there's a bit more to it than just copying files.

Monday, July 19, 2010 10:33 PM
  • Right, I've installed from scratch on the new drive, and installed about 1000 updates! I've now hit a problem, it won't let me connect to my page on homeserver.com - it says the name is in use - well it is, by me!

I can connect to my WHS remotely via the homeserver.com site, but the WHS won't let me set this in the settings.

-- Nigel M
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:40 PM
  • On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 03:29:20 +0000, Ken Warren wrote:
    The easiest thing to do is just back up all your home computers to your new installation. It's possible to copy the backup database, though, if you really need it. You'll find instructions for doing so in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief, which you can download from the Windows Home Server section <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/default.mspx>; of the Microsoft web site.
    Please be more specific. I found some promotional stuff about using
    WHS to back up and restore files on client computers. I poked around a
    bit and saw no hint of anything like instructions for manipulating WHS
    backup files.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:57 PM
  • You just need the BDBB addin
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:22 PM