2 computer and a hub computer RRS feed

• Question

• can you install LCO v2 on this set up and how to i link them all together?
    i have 2 computers at home my "HUB" and a laptop and i have a computer in my office i want to know if i can install LCO on  this set up and how to i get the office computer to link to the hub computer at home?
    Tuesday, October 2, 2007 4:59 PM

Answers

• Yes. As long as all three computers are on the same subscription (or same LiveID if not activated) the office PC can communicate with the hub. What happens is that the remote PC will update its status to the OneCare servers and the OneCare servers will relay that back to the hub PC when it is connected. During the beta, the delay in communication could be several hours, but at release, that should be shortened quite a bit.

-steve

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 6:57 PM

All replies

• Yes. As long as all three computers are on the same subscription (or same LiveID if not activated) the office PC can communicate with the hub. What happens is that the remote PC will update its status to the OneCare servers and the OneCare servers will relay that back to the hub PC when it is connected. During the beta, the delay in communication could be several hours, but at release, that should be shortened quite a bit.

-steve

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 6:57 PM
  • I see "onecare circle" on the help.  It says start onecare and choose "Manage Onecare Circle."  I do not see that.  Is the help referring to a feature to be in the next relaese?  I am running version 1.6.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:49 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Yes. As long as all three computers are on the same subscription (or same LiveID if not activated) the office PC can communicate with the hub. What happens is that the remote PC will update its status to the OneCare servers and the OneCare servers will relay that back to the hub PC when it is connected. During the beta, the delay in communication could be several hours, but at release, that should be shortened quite a bit.

-steve

Steve,
         I've got a question about this also.  I have my laptop at work occasionally, and leave it there for my coworker.  So, my question is this.  If OneCare's supposed to do a scheduled backup, and the laptop is at work (connected to the Internet), how does it treat this?  I've got everything set up to backup to my External Drive on the Hub PC.

In theory, if the computer can connect to a remote server to update it's status, it should be able to connect through the remote (oneCare servers) to perform backups and other essentials.  Or, it should be able to configure itself to perform the backup the next time it's on the local subnet.

Have a great weekend :-)
    Patrick.
    Saturday, November 24, 2007 7:34 PM
  •  Wizard1 wrote:
    I see "onecare circle" on the help.  It says start onecare and choose "Manage Onecare Circle."  I do not see that.  Is the help referring to a feature to be in the next relaese?  I am running version 1.6.

Yes, this is a 2.0 feature.

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:06 AM
  • Hi Patrick, nice to see you here. If the PC is not on the local subnet where the shared backup is located when a scheduled backup is set to run, it won't run. It may turn yellow status to alert you of the situation, and you can then backup when you bring it back to the local subnet. Communications via the servers for status will happen when off the local subnet, albeit delayed compared to local. Today I restored a PC using a 3 week old image backup to a new drive. OneCare was, of course, out of date. It and the hub machine were connected to the Internet via different ISPs (cell phone tether on one and dial-up on the hub machine). The hub reflected the red status within an hour of the communication of the "heartbeat" from the restored machine and then it took close to another hour after the restored machine was up to date, for the hub to reflect the new green status of that machine.

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:11 AM
  • Steve,

I bought Windows Live OneCare program.

My son installed the program at his home in Columbia.  He didn't write down his ID# or password.

I live in the upstate section of South Carolina.

I installed program 12/28, forgot I was installing, so removed program 12/29.

Installed again yesterday, but used my email I.D. # and made up my password.

Said I had 15 days left, instead of 1 year.

Can you help me?  I read in booklet that I need to use same ID.

Would that be the ID my son used.

Please respond or give me a phone # so I can get help with this problem.

I'm so confused & frustrated.

Thanks.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 2:07 PM
  •  oakway4@bellsouth.com wrote:

Steve,

I bought Windows Live OneCare program.

My son installed the program at his home in Columbia.  He didn't write down his ID# or password.

I live in the upstate section of South Carolina.

I installed program 12/28, forgot I was installing, so removed program 12/29.

Installed again yesterday, but used my email I.D. # and made up my password.

Said I had 15 days left, instead of 1 year.

Can you help me?  I read in booklet that I need to use same ID.

Would that be the ID my son used.

Please respond or give me a phone # so I can get help with this problem.

I'm so confused & frustrated.

Thanks.

Yes, if your son created the subscription, it is his LiveID that needs to be used to activate the reinstall. Since you used an ID that is not the subscription LiveID, you will need to reinstall once again and use the LiveID that your son used to create the subscription. If his PC is still running OneCare and is actively subscribed, have him open OneCare and click Help/About to see the Subscription ID. That is the LiveID to use to activate your copy.

If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate the reinstall or additional computer install.

-steve

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 10:17 PM