Homeserver domain question and possibly a warning RRS feed

• Question

• This post is in two parts. The first a query and the other unless I have totally lost the plot a warning to others.

Background: I had a homeserver domain that like all homeserver domains was tied to a particular Windows Live Account.  While changing hardware around recently and moving the Vail Beta refresh to new hardware I was unable to setup the remote access.  I simply could not log into the windows live account that was required. After using the windows live password reset form and exchanging various posts on a private forum with the support personal I was told the account nolonger existed on their system. This is a problem not to mention a showstopper to using the same domain. 

Is anyone point me in the direction of the people that administer the homeserver domains so that I can try and get the domain moved to a different live account?. As the account used to register it is now defunct there is no way I can retrieve the domain myself.  While not the end of the world, I really do not want to lose it if at all possible. 

The last time I logged into the account would have been about May of this year when setting up the initial remote access to Vail public beta 1. According to the windows live account expiry conditions it should not have expired, unless logging in to setup the domain and remote access via dashboard does not count as a valid login. I am reasonably certain of the time involved but I could be wrong. I thought it appropriate to let others know what has happened and possibly prevent someone else losing their domain by accident.

Guard well your Windows Live Accounts if you used it to register a domain. If the account expires for whatever reason, the domain is history unless someone has pointer to as to where to obtain help in getting it moved to a new windows live account.

Any and all help gratefully received. FROGZ1 really would like FROGZ1 back :(

Dave

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:33 AM

All replies

• I think you're out of luck.

The stated expiration period is "1 year" (though I can't find that reference at the moment), but I don't know what qualifies as "logging in". Certainly your server doesn't "log in" to refresh the domain; it receives a token from Live Domains which it uses for that purpose.

By the way, you'll get the same answer if the Live ID your Xbox gamertag is tied to expires: "Sorry, there's nothing that can be done." Your gamertag is still good, but you'll never be able to upgrade it to Gold. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

I suspected this was probably going to be the case but though it was worth seeing if anyone had any idea's as to where help may be obtained.

It does seem a little strange that in these circumstances there is no process to recover the domain. It's basically going to sit haunting cyberspace, and pointing at a dynamic ip address in my ISP's address pool until the domain expires.

Dave

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:44 PM