Installation on a one disk system versus a two disk system - any difference? RRS feed

• Question

• Back in the early beta days, I seem to recall a post either on here or on Connect, recommending that you always have at least two hard disks in the system when you install, but I cannot find it and cannot remember the reason.

If I install WHS on a system with only one hard disk, and then add more disks later, does the install do anything different to installing with more than one disk in the system initially?

Is there a good reason to start with at least two disks?

Many thanks,

Kevyn
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:37 AM

Answers

•  kevyn72 wrote:
    Back in the early beta days, I seem to recall a post either on here or on Connect, recommending that you always have at least two hard disks in the system when you install, but I cannot find it and cannot remember the reason.

If I install WHS on a system with only one hard disk, and then add more disks later, does the install do anything different to installing with more than one disk in the system initially?

Is there a good reason to start with at least two disks?

Many thanks,

Kevyn

The main reason for starting with two or more disks is that it allows you to enable duplication for your shares, thus adding a level data protection.

Starting with one or two disks would make little difference for the install procedure. If you start with one disk and then later add a second disk the result will be the same as installing on a 2-disk system.

Some good reading are the WHS Technical briefs that you can find overhere

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:11 AM