Power Pack 1 Installed - First impressions RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Hi all

Installation was very smooth and my version is now 6.01771.0

I am now backing up a Vista Ultimate X64 to my Homeserver and the Console also display the correct version of Vista (no logner Says -LONGHORN)

I have looked at the "Icon View" in "Shared Folders" via remote access and thumbnails are available and nice touch on selecting multiple files for dowloading- you just click on each file to select it

One observation - while in "Icon View" you cannot click on a folder to open it. You have to return to Details Vies to open folders.

Remote Access  - much improved with the option to allow Computer Access or Shared Folder access only.

Just my first look.

Good job

Monday, June 9, 2008 9:46 PM

All replies

• Thank you for the feedback!  Clicking the folder name under the folder icon should open the folder in icon view.  We'll definitely look at improving this experience and making it more intuitive in future releases.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:00 AM
  •  

Installation went smooth, only odd item of note thus far - Settings only displays Backup, Passwords, and Media Sharing on the Console. 

Don't remember anything about this in the known issues, but may have missed it?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:18 AM
  • Wow I have successfully upgraded my HP 470 to a new 2.6 GHz processor,  2gb RAM, and PP1 all in one night!  Everything worked like a charm. 

I am excited that my Vista x64 is now being backed up! 

All of my other PCs upgraded their Connectors just fine. 

Although I don't understand why I had to enter the password during the setup when they were already configured once.  

I gave my girlfriend the link http://server:55000 and she came back asking for the password.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:26 AM
  • My Upgrade went smoothly for the most part. 

Observations:
    The upgrade for the Connector was not obvious. After upgrading Connectore, clicking the alert balloon did not reveal the need to open Connector and look at the server warning tab with the HTTPS://Server.55000 link.  I happened to read about it in an earlier post.  Of course you need to enter the Admin password to complete the install on each client pc . No biggie really.

PP1 will erase your Home Page picture, whether you replaced it manually or used Whiist.
    PP1 will rewrite the interpub files, so if you had the mod installed in the aspx file that allows you to see WHS desktop instead of the Console when logginng in remotely...you will have to re-enter that code.

When browsing remotely and set files to view as Icons, you cannot click on the folder icon itself to open them. You must click on the folder Name instead.  Bit odd, but no biggie. Just glad I can now preview pictures and such now.

Overall, it went good and the usable mods seem to work nicely.  Remote Icons, reduced balancing and load on cpu, faster file transfers to share and remote upload time out are what I like most. We will see how this all goes after a few days.

Thanks T.Headrick and the entire WHS Team for the upgrade!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:47 AM
  •  markravs wrote:

Installation went smooth, only odd item of note thus far - Settings only displays Backup, Passwords, and Media Sharing on the Console. 

@Markfavs - please submit a bug report on Connect and include your logs with detailed hardware information.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:54 AM
  •  PathfinderTech wrote:
    Wow I have successfully upgraded my HP 470 to a new 2.6 GHz processor,  2gb RAM, and PP1 all in one night!  Everything worked like a charm. 

I am excited that my Vista x64 is now being backed up! 

All of my other PCs upgraded their Connectors just fine. 

Although I don't understand why I had to enter the password during the setup when they were already configured once.  

I gave my girlfriend the link http://server:55000 and she came back asking for the password.

@sysuser1234 - you are always prompted for the Windows Home Server password when you add a computer via the Windows Home Server Connector software, try to do a restore using the Home Computer Restore CD and when you access the Windows Home Server Console.

This is the way it has always worked.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:56 AM
  •  judgeschambers wrote:
    My Upgrade went smoothly for the most part. 

Observations:
    The upgrade for the Connector was not obvious. After upgrading Connectore, clicking the alert balloon did not reveal the need to open Connector and look at the server warning tab with the HTTPS://Server.55000 link.  I happened to read about it in an earlier post.  Of course you need to enter the Admin password to complete the install on each client pc . No biggie really.

PP1 will erase your Home Page picture, whether you replaced it manually or used Whiist.
    PP1 will rewrite the interpub files, so if you had the mod installed in the aspx file that allows you to see WHS desktop instead of the Console when logginng in remotely...you will have to re-enter that code.

When browsing remotely and set files to view as Icons, you cannot click on the folder icon itself to open them. You must click on the folder Name instead.  Bit odd, but no biggie. Just glad I can now preview pictures and such now.

Overall, it went good and the usable mods seem to work nicely.  Remote Icons, reduced balancing and load on cpu, faster file transfers to share and remote upload time out are what I like most. We will see how this all goes after a few days.

Thanks for testing and providing feedback !! Thanks for participating in the home server community.  Known issue on PP1 erasing any home page picture changes - that we won't address with Power Pack 1.  We have lots of things we want to do with the product and large investments in remote access customizations are still on the proposed ideas list.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:59 AM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

judgeschambers wrote:

Observations:

Thanks for testing and providing feedback !! Thanks for participating in the home server community.  Known issue on PP1 erasing any home page picture changes - that we won't address with Power Pack 1.  We have lots of things we want to do with the product and large investments in remote access customizations are still on the proposed ideas list.

T.Headrick,

No problem. You guys work hard on this and I (we) appreciate it!

The home page picture deletions are a low priority, I realize. If you have Whiist installed the pic is easily replaced in 60 seconds.  All that little stuff is insignificant in the grand picture of the upgrade and improvements. I was just posting my experiences with the PP1 Upgrade and what it affects to help forum members.

Thanks again.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:37 AM
  • Installation went smoothly. On three Vista 64-bit computers that had the 32-bit connector software installed, Connector software setup removed the 32-bit connector and installed the 64-bit connector with no problems, other than creating a NEW computer entry in the console and greying out the old computer entry. Backup is running on one of the 64-bit computers, and the console tells me I can't remove the old entries until backup is finished - Assuming I can clean up the console when backup is done, I'm very happy with the upgrade!

Ned Buckaster

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:12 PM

• Install went quick & easy on mine. One of the main things I was looking forward to is the Shared Folders backup feature, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. The biggest "Oh Sh*t!!" feature was the X64 Connector. I thought it was just for Vista X64, not us oft ignored XP X64 users. Backing this system up now. Excellent!

The icon view addition is great. Like the others, I double-clicked on the icon a few times, thinking WTF??, before I figured out that I had to click on the words, not the icon. Not a big deal.

Hope to see some speed improvements, particularly when connecting over the net. Seems to take a while waiting for it to connect, but that could just be my system (homebuilt XP1800 with 512 ram).

Overall, a great first Power Pack. Will be thinking of some features you can add to PP2.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:18 PM
  • I'm very happy with this beta of PP1.

The installation went smoth and fast. My laptop with the old connector was asked to upgrade to the new version with no problems and easy to acomplish.

I then installed the x64 connector in my vista business x64 with sp1 also with no problems and run my very first backup of this system.

I haven´t had time to test anything else, but for now its looking great. Thanks Microsoft for this great update for WHS.

I just have to comments,

First of all, I'm running a P3 with 2 ide drives and a new external usb 2.0 160gb harddrive which is connected to the pc by a usb 2.0 pci-card.

My pool had less than 5gb so i decided to had the external harddrive, but i've noticed a really low data transfer from my vista X64 SP1 to the WHS with PP1. The transfer is never more than 4MB/s and i came to reach 500kb/s, which caused the WHS console to freeze, until the transfer was complete.

It's more likely to be hardware related, so i will run more tests and post them later on.

The other comments its about the new feature for backing up pcs which are hibernated or suspended.

I tried this scenario with an old compaq laptop with 6 years and  a new fujitsu-siemens intel centrino with almost 3 years, and none of them waked up.

Do i need to change anything in the bios, windows power management, or are there some hardware requirements?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:15 PM
  • Installed PP1 last night and all went well on my HP 475 with 3 drives. I did a backup of my shares to a 4th drive not part of the pool with no issues which was great timing as we are heading out of town for two weeks and it will be nice to put that stuff off site incase someone breaks in and steals my server.

I have noticed my Fan's on the HP are running faster then before can anyone else verify?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:22 PM
  •  judgeschambers wrote:

Observations:

Hi Judge, 

I also thought this process was more complex than needed, i posted it as a suggestion on connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=350241

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:23 PM
  • It installed without a hitch, the only slight glitch was when I started the setup from the webshare to update my PC's connect client, it couldn't find my homeserver right away (even though I was connected to it via remote desktop), I had to use the manual option, the corretc name was already there and then it downloaded and installed without a hitch.

Thanks to the WHS team for putting this out!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:53 PM
  • I was up and running by 2am. Started with one 750gb drive installed the service pack and then immediately added another 750 and 1tb drive without a hitch.

After the drives were installed I enabled folder duplication for everything and simultaneously installed the connector for 2 other machines and ran a backup on each.

The server hard drives were lit solid throught the night and returned to normal by morning before I left for work. So far so good with remote access. Ill be testing further today from work and home using the guidelines in the install documentation.

Thanks to everyone on the WHS server team.

P.S. Just tried the drag and drop upload feature works great. Nice time saving addition as I need to move files up and down quite a bit.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:12 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

markravs wrote:

@Markfavs - please submit a bug report on Connect and include your logs with detailed hardware information.

it's up - I can't access the toolbox so hardware will be manual vs the CAB #s per the submission form...

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 2:00 AM
  •  murchman1 wrote:

Installed PP1 last night and all went well on my HP 475 with 3 drives. I did a backup of my shares to a 4th drive not part of the pool with no issues which was great timing as we are heading out of town for two weeks and it will be nice to put that stuff off site incase someone breaks in and steals my server.

I have noticed my Fan's on the HP are running faster then before can anyone else verify?

I noticed the same thing on my Mediasmart server.  Even the console was so slow that it was almost unusable.  Check the server status in the console and found that the CPU was running very hot (57c).

I found the following by RDP to the server and running TaskManager (Start/Windows Security/Task Manager or Start/Run/Taskmgr).  Go to the processes tab and click on "Show processes from all users" and then click on the "CPU" header twice to sort the processes by CPU usage from highest to lowest.

I first found that the process "WMCCDS.exe" was using 100% of the CPU cycles.  This process has to do with Windows Media Connect, so I went to the server console and turned off media sharing for all media types.  This stopped the 100% access by WMCCDS.  Shortly after, I was having the same problem and checked the Task Manager again.  This time "SearchProtocolHost.exe & SearchFilterHost.exe" were using 100% of the CPU cycles.  I let these processes run for over 6 hours at 100% utilization and check the indexing status periodically.  It made very little progress over this time.

I deleted most of the files on my server and let the indexing process run.  It stabilized very quickly and now processor utilization is down to 3-5% and the temps are down to 34c.  I will try turning the multimedia services back on as soon as I resolve a couple of other issues.

Hope this helps!

Toby

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:37 PM
  •  

Good to hear - this also had me thinking that the folder view did not allow selecting - the icon lights up and then there is a link inside if it.  Confusing interface,

Thanks!

Saturday, June 14, 2008 3:10 AM
  • While it's exciting that Power Pack 1 is making progress, especially with a public release, I have to admit it's disappointing that there is still not an option to backup the actual computer backups off of the server.

Also, the option to backup the shared folders is nice, but let's be honest: any slew of 3rd party apps running on the home server or a simple (scheduled) Robocopy script could easily accomplish the same thing. For those 'less technical' users, it's a win-win situation because they are usually unable to setup such solutions, so it's still an improvement.

Keep up the great work!
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 7:12 PM
  •  

All I can say is:  brilliantly well done WHS Team.

Installed PP! & within a very short time, was notified that connector update available.  Both systems were updated without a hitch.  Added an external USB drive & was given a choice of either add to storage or use for server backup.  Nice.  Haven't had time to myself since orginally adding PP1, so have been unable to attempt any tests.  Will be doing this over the next few days.

Bodine465,  Thank you very much for posting.  After reading it, I immediately went to server/software & copied connector files to CD.  I've been waiting since mid-March after building my Quad 9500 with XP X64, & now she's part of my WHS network.  Sheer bliss (so far).......

If the WHS team keep this up, I will definitely purchase WHS V2.0.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 8:37 PM

• Prior to PP1 RC being released I had been suffering from drive space being "eaten" for want of a better description. It turned out to be 1000's of copies of the same file being generated. Seemed to be photo files and the WHS console would complain that these files where failing.
    Anyway, I installed PP1 without a problem but I suspect I had many corrupt photo files and the installation of PP1 did not fix my drive space issue. I already had a known good back up of all my data to I decided to wipe the WHS server and reinstall from new including removing the DATA partition drives and reformatting the lot.

My install procedure was
    1) install New server installation of WHS
    2) Apply device drivers for hardware that WHS did not detect
    3) Apply PP1
    4) Add remaining three hard drives to the configuration
    5) Setup access and remove duplication on shares (I have over 600GB to restore so I though it best to get it all on the server then let it work out the duplication at a later stage)
    6) restore data using Synctoy v2 - works like a dream for me.
    7) Apply duplication to the shares I want to protect

Finally I now have a WHS system that is doing what it is supposed to do. The system runs healthy and it not eating away at my drive space. I can backup my x64 vista workstation as well as my MCE2005 system.

To the MS programmers who worked on PP1, then great work guys, this product, certainly for me, is now doing what I wanted from it in the first place.

Ok so I guess my upgrade path was a little extreme but I have a known good copy of my data and since my DATA drive has been sitting at 1GB for the past 3 months I have not been able to copy much to the server. I would say to anyone who is still having problems after the install of PP1 then if you were wise enough to take a backup of the data then go for it and start the install of WHS again. The key thing for me was getting PP1 installed before making any fundamental changes to WHS.
    Yes, restoring 700GB takes a few days but Rome was not built in a day so just be patient.
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 7:35 AM