locked
"Field Security Profile Error" on Field Level Security? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Has anyone seen this, not sure what it means.  I made a custom attribute field level security.  Then in settings under Field Level Security, I made a new one and opened up the level security for the previous field.  I tried to enable "Read" and no for the other 2, but when I click OK it says:

    Field Security Profile Error
    The user does not have read permissions to a secured field.  The requested operation could not be completed.

    Does anyone know why?  Must be relating to myself even though I'm an admin.  It does it whether I have users added to the security or not.  No matter what option I try it gives that error? 

    Saturday, April 23, 2011 10:05 PM

Answers

  • it may Further update, looks like it may simply be a matter of 'publishing ALL customizations' after modifying any fields for field level security. Once I hit "Customizations" then "Publish all customizations" I am then able to edit the profile line items as needed.

     

    That said, I can't be sure that UR1 had anything to do with "fixing" this issue at all. May have been creating this issue myself by not following the proper editing workflow.

     

    Thanks

     

    Mike

     

    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Hi Lee,

    Try using a different system admin user to remove your user's system admin security role, then re-add it. Sign in again and see if you still get the errors. I experienced something similar back in the beta release and this worked for me.

    Rob


    Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (CRM) GAP Consulting Ltd.
    • Marked as answer by Lee Moreau Sunday, April 24, 2011 2:40 PM
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 6:34 AM
    Answerer

All replies

  • Hi Lee,

    Try using a different system admin user to remove your user's system admin security role, then re-add it. Sign in again and see if you still get the errors. I experienced something similar back in the beta release and this worked for me.

    Rob


    Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (CRM) GAP Consulting Ltd.
    • Marked as answer by Lee Moreau Sunday, April 24, 2011 2:40 PM
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 6:34 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Rob I figured it out right before your post, that was the issue.  I logged in as Administrator and added myself to the system Administrator profile in Field Level security and it works now!
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Greetings;

     

    I'm stuck at the very same error. Have tried Rob's suggestion of removing the Sysadmin role from the user that I was performing the changes with and then re-adding to no avail. Interestingly, we still have our online trial up while we sort out our on-prem installation and I got the same error in the hosted environment the first time I tried it. Went back again to repeat the error so that I could grab the detail log and ship off to MS and the problem no longer appears in the hosted version!

    Does anyone have any other ideas to try?

     

    Thanks

     

     

    Mike

     

     

    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:49 PM
  • An update. I finally applied UR1 yesterday and it "fixed' the issue. Suddenly I was able to then modify the individual Field Secuirty Profile line items as intended. Today, I went to secure more fields and my issue has returned. When I access the profile to then hit each secured item and allow read, update, etc to each line I get the message Lee originally reported.

     

    Mike

     

    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:03 PM
  • it may Further update, looks like it may simply be a matter of 'publishing ALL customizations' after modifying any fields for field level security. Once I hit "Customizations" then "Publish all customizations" I am then able to edit the profile line items as needed.

     

    That said, I can't be sure that UR1 had anything to do with "fixing" this issue at all. May have been creating this issue myself by not following the proper editing workflow.

     

    Thanks

     

    Mike

     

    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:11 PM
  • I have had this issue a number of times in my current environment.  After some experimentation, I found that the issue did not happen when I logged in through our service account.  When I used the account assigned to me directly, it did happen (an account that has administrator privileges on the application level).  I don't know if it has to do with certain server privileges, but that (using the service account) fixed my problem. 

    • Edited by JDuty1 Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:09 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:56 PM
  • Publishing all customizations fixed this issue for me. I had already published all but got the error, so after reading this I published all again and it fixed it.

     

    thanks,

     

    Derek

    • Proposed as answer by Ales Novotny Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:14 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:07 PM