Communicator hangs, locks, & does not respond when attempting end voice/video calls RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone heard of an issue where Communicator locks up when attempting to end a call and the users must kill the process to exit?  Would the RTCDATAMCU not starting have anything to do with this?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:10 PM

All replies

• I've seen this same issue twice.
    Previously, one user running the OC Public Beta experienced the hang. He updated to the Release Candidate and it cleared the problem.
    Now, I have another new user running the Release Candidate that is seeing this hang. 
    Any help on this issue is appreciated.

thanks,

Wade
    Thursday, August 2, 2007 3:21 PM
  • Are you guys able to move to RTM? I have noticed they ahve done a lot of improvements.

Monday, August 13, 2007 6:44 PM
  • We uninstalled the Release Candidate and installed the Eval version (2.0.6362.0).
    The problem still exists.  Any troubleshooting tips would be appreciated.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 8:54 PM
  • Are you guys still having this problem? Can you share any other information?

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:21 PM
  • Hi Thom,

Thanks for the post.  We are kind of still having this problem. 

I installed a second instance of OCS 2007, but it was the Enterprise version with a physically separate SQL Server.  Found the Communicator patch and applied it (I think this is what really did it, but you never know.)

Now, we still see the hang, but it is only when the person who received the phone/video Communicator call attempts to end the conversation.  If it is a 1-to-1 connection, then the caller can end the Communicator call successfully.

If the call is a video/audio conference (more than 2 people), then attempting to end the call always results in the client hanging and crashing.  Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Thanks,

Mike

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:31 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem.  My user is using the retail version on windows xp sp2.  When he initiates a call and the call window comes up, if he tries to close it either after a call or if the other party doesn't answer, communicator stops responding.  He has to end task then start communicator back up. 

I have upgraded him from office 2007 thinking maybe that would help, then installed all of the updates and hotfixes hoping that would help.  So far nothing has helped.  In the event viewer all it records is an application hang event with no other information.

The problem is this is my company's president's computer and I need to find a resolution asap.  Our vista users are not having this problem.

Thanks

Darick

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:59 PM
  • I have 2 users that are having the same issues.  XP SP2, Office 2003 all hot fixes and the O2K post SP2 patch.

I was thinking it might be sound drivers but since it's doing it even if the voice call isn't accepted I think that the sound drivers might not be the factor.  This is peer to peer voice that it's doing it on and it doesn't matter who starts or ends the calls this user still locks up and has to end task on OCS.

Anyone have any ideas?  I have our MS rep looking into it as well just in case it is a known issue. 

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:12 PM
  • we found several of our users had installed a Verizon Wireless access card and associated software.

The Venturi software was the culprit.

Uninstalling it, resolved issues for most of our users with the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942723/en-us

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:07 PM
  • I found that when either Outlook 2003 or 2007 are running, doesnt matter if the COM addin is checked or not, communicator locks up and needs to be killed and restarted when large data resides in outlook. A Couple of Gig PST should do it...

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:26 AM
  • Thanks for the pointer, I myself would not able to find that particular knowledge base!
    Friday, February 27, 2009 10:36 AM
  • We are now running R2. We had a problem with Communicator calls hanging, live meeting locking up Communicator, and Desktop sharing now working across the WAN. We discovered that our RiverBed WAN Accelerators were causing the problem.

Now that we have that resolved we still have some hanging. On my computer I've noticed that if Outlook 2007 is NOT running, everything with communicator works great. If Outlook is running then I have problems. I've tried running in cache mode and not in cache mode.  No difference.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 7:20 PM
  • MikeN33,

We have kind of the same issue but what we see is Outlook hanging, you said you found something in your Riverbed may I ask what you found as we have riverbed also.

Thanks
    Friday, April 3, 2009 11:43 AM
  • We have worked out the problems with hanging.

There were hanging problems across the WAN and desktop sharing would not work and live meeting always hung communicator. We discoverd the Riverbeds were the problem.

The fix was to alter Communicator’s dynamic port range per Microsoft’s specs using group policy and then exclude those ports from being compressed and cached on the Riverbeds.  The default port range (1024 – 65000+) was too large to exclude from the Riverbed as many of our other applications use ports within that range.  We used ports 40000 – 40039, which are the ports mentioned in the link below for Communicator R2.       

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425164(office.13).aspx

We continued to have some problems with calls hanging and discovered that it was caused by our antivirus software. We were running eSet NOD32 v 2.7. We have upgraded to 3.0 and all our problems have gone away.. 

Mike

• Proposed as answer by MikeN33 Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:57 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:55 PM